LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 304 users in the forums

What happens if coach Singletary fails?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Sing will be given a minimum of two years regardless of what his record shows. I can't say the same for his coaches as he could be pressured to change one or two of them.

The only way you lose him before the end of NEXT year is if he quits because of his loyalty to another coach he brought in.
Originally posted by smileyman:
Originally posted by 190836:
Originally posted by FourNine49:
Less than a year as full time HC and you guys call him a failure? Good grief guys, quit with the instant-gratification mentality. Things are slowly getting better, and it takes time for a franchise to turn around.

In your expert opinion, how long does it take to turn around this team? So far its been 7 years, is 10 years a good number?Maybe 12 or 15 or even 20?Also, last I checked we lost five out of six games, that's more like slowly regressing not getting better!

Singletary has been coach for 1/2 of 1 season and 1/2 of another. The previous mess is not on him--it's on Nolan, the Yorks, and McCloughlan.

We have most of the pieces in place. Fix the line, get some secondary help and we're in the mix. A new HC needs 2-3 years to turn it around.

The track record for new coaches who've won Superbowls is 4 years to the first one.

Yet it seems as if 90% of the people on this site want to start all over again without even giving him a full season.

This a complete and total disaster. We are being run by an emotional gimmick. It is time to let it go. It is time to quit being a laughing stock and start acting like a competent football organization. We are an NFL joke.
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by posterX:
Less than a year as full time HC and you guys call him a failure? Good grief guys, quit with the instant-gratification mentality. Things are slowly getting better, and it takes time for a franchise to turn around.

In your expert opinion, how long does it take to turn around this team? So far its been 7 years, is 10 years a good number?Maybe 12 or 15 or even 20?Also, last I checked we lost five out of six games, that's more like slowly regressing not getting better!

Singletary has been coach for 1/2 of 1 season and 1/2 of another. The previous mess is not on him--it's on Nolan, the Yorks, and McCloughlan.

We have most of the pieces in place. Fix the line, get some secondary help and we're in the mix. A new HC needs 2-3 years to turn it around.

The track record for new coaches who've won Superbowls is 4 years to the first one.

Yet it seems as if 90% of the people on this site want to start all over again without even giving him a full season.

This a complete and total disaster. We are being run by an emotional gimmick. It is time to let it go. It is time to quit being a laughing stock and start acting like a competent football organization. We are an NFL joke.

No we aren't.

Browns, Lions, Rams, Raiders, Redskins. They're jokes. We're a few key pieces away from being a playoff team. Upgrade our O-line, get a top-notch safety and a pass rusher and we've got all the weapons we need.
Originally posted by NinersCluebat:
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
Originally posted by ninersrule4:

SLOWLY GETTING BETTER!!!??!!!!!

Hes a tool. This philosophy WONT get it done in the NFL. He is WAYYY to stubborn to change it to! Piss poor game/player managment as well. Just Horrible

YES SLOWLY GETTING BETTER.

Without anything else involved, answer this:

Are we better than we were last year when Noaln was still coach. If you follow the 49ers as close as anyone on this board, it is a convincing YES.

People complain about the past 7 years CRAP, big news guys, Singletary can give a crap about the past 7 years. The only thing he's in control of is when he is HC

our record doesn't indicate that. I dont care if we lose by 32 or 2 we still lose. If nolan wins 1 game but loses all the others by 15 plus and sing doesnt win any but loses them all by 7 or less nolan>sing

last year we were 7-9, with 5 of those wins coming from when Singletary took over. The year before that, 5-11 (3 of those wins coming after week 11).

Yes we are 4-6 now, but having more wins by week 11 in a while. I can almost guarantee that we will have a better record than previous years. WHICH MEANS, SLOWLY GETTING BETTER.

Man, how standards fall over time.

I have to agree. We starting to sound like the Lions fans now . Remember the days when we fire winning coaches because he couldn't take us the the superbowl? And now, we are eating from the hands of these coaches who can't even make it to the playoff......
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by sacleads:

I have to agree. We starting to sound like the Lions fans now . Remember the days when we fire winning coaches because he couldn't take us the the superbowl? And now, we are eating from the hands of these coaches who can't even make it to the playoff......

I disagreed with Mooch getting fired when it happened. However, if we end up 8-8 this year it's an improvement over last and that's what I'm looking for.
  • NinersCluebat
  • Info N/A

I disagreed with Mooch getting fired when it happened. However, if we end up 8-8 this year it's an improvement over last and that's what I'm looking for.

And my point is made once again: Our standards are far too low for this franchise.
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A

And my point is made once again: Our standards are far too low for this franchise.

Improvement year to year is having low standards?
It is not 'IF" he fails or 'WHEN" he fails, it is "Now that he has failed"!
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Singletary will stare at Niners' management, and they will extend his contract through 2156.

That sounds familiar...but we know MD is not those guys. Sounds like the honeymoon is over.
  • NinersCluebat
  • Info N/A

Improvement year to year is having low standards?

Yes. If my kids go from a low F in school to a high F in school they would still be failing. (And for the record I have serious doubts we can reach .500 anyway.)

We are a team that reached ten wins for 16 (I think) consecutive seasons. And now we cannot recruit talent, cannot coach what talent we have and make excuses for coaches that get out coached and lose. YES our expectations are way too low as a fan base.

I do not expect a Super Bowl every year, but I would like to consistently make the playoffs and that is what I expect out of the Niners. So hearing that 8-8 is okay tears me up as a fan of this team.

This coaching staff gets outcoached every week. They do not properly prepare the team to win, they do not coach up players the way the Niners have in the past and I swear if I hear Sing one more time blame the players ala Nolan I may have to buy a new TV.

Isn't here already 2 or 3 threads on this very same subject??
In SF lately, losers get paid. He gets anohter year min, even if there are no more wins. Remember, it's Smith's fault!
Originally posted by posterX:

No we aren't.

Browns, Lions, Rams, Raiders, Redskins. They're jokes. We're a few key pieces away from being a playoff team. Upgrade our O-line, get a top-notch safety and a pass rusher and we've got all the weapons we need.

There are some good pieces in place(ie: Gore,Crabtree,Davis, Willis). I attribute that to the blind squirrel finds acorns once in awhile theory.

The rest of team is alot closer to the Browns,Lions,Rams.... than most think. I would definitely look to grab one of the super bowl winning coaches looking for jobs to have full control and right this drifting ship. Any one of them would can A.Smith right away and get us a pass rush. This current group in charge is very lame in that regard.
  • soao
  • Veteran
Simpletary has failed as others have said. Just like Shaun Hill doesn't have enough are to be an NFL starter, Sing is just too stupid to be an NFL coach. You can coach some one with tools to be better. You can't coach some one to be faster. You can't coach Shaun Hill to throw it harder. The hardest thing to upgrade is stupid. Sing is too stupid to coach this team. He is not a 1st year coach IMO. This is just an extension of the Nolan regime. This has been going on for 5 years and it has to stop. There isn't one thing Sing has done to deserve to finish THIS season much less next year. Get an interim coach and shop for a CEO or football operations. If that person decides to fire Scottiemac so be it. It's another Thanksgiving day and we are out of the playoff hunt. I'd fire him this morning.
  • Veteran

Are you kidding me? Yes the Niners have had 7 straight losing seasons, but this thread is about SINGLETARY. He's been coaching for about a year and he has more wins than losses. How are you going to hold him accountable for the past 7 years?

This isn't even bout Singletary anymore, this is about YOU GUYS! Inpatient fans that only get a sigh of relief with instant gratification.

No I am not kidding you! I don't hold Singletary accountable for the past seven years. I hold Yorks, Scott McCloughan and Nolan in large for this disaster. But as for Singletary and his big mouth, he should know that you can't go around and declare playoff appearances and super bowl wins when you only get one first down in thirty minutes of GB game. He should know that his offensive coordinator lives in the fifties and sixties with no offensive imagination and no adjustments. Yelling and screaming can take you so far and after a while players just tune you out. Remember Mike Ditka?
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kauaiguy:
Sing will be given a minimum of two years regardless of what his record shows. I can't say the same for his coaches as he could be pressured to change one or two of them.

The only way you lose him before the end of NEXT year is if he quits because of his loyalty to another coach he brought in.

I wouldn't be too sure about this...a team looking for a new stadium needs to show wins and not more of the same that has been seen the last 5 years in order to garner community support.
Share 49ersWebzone