LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 318 users in the forums

Can 49ers DC Greg Manusky Turn Haralson or Lawson Into Big Time Pass Rushers?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by matt49er:
Lawson is not a big time passrusher but he is a very good overall OLB. Haralson is just a 3rd down rusher and I don't believe he can be the big time double digit sack guy the 9ers hoped he would be. He's not a complete bust I think if he goes back to being a 3rd down guy he would be effective in that role.

We should see more of Brooks too as Singletary said on third downs. He's demonstrates consistent pressure and sacks, he will overtake Lawson...just a matter of production really. Can he keep it up and can he get there?

I have been disappointed that we haven't seen as many sacks as we thought...at least Haralason with 3-5 and Manny with 3-5 would be nice, huh. But alas, it's just a dream because it seems that our scheme caters more toward deception than all out dare to stop it. That is what we need next year.

As long as we can create three and outs, prevent opponents from scoring TDs and continue to have success defending the run, I see us in every game. However, can the OLBs just finish please?!
  • Veteran
The question is how many more years do we have to wait to see these guys become what the coaches claim them to be?
No....

I think at some point, you just don't got it.. And neither Haralson nor Lawson have it at the NFL level.... Both of them have two moves... Bull rush, which never works for Lawson and I think I've seen it work once for Haralson. And the outside speed rush, which more often then not the opposing teams QB steps up in the pocket because of no inside push and the OT just guides them out of the play...

You look at peeps like Merriman (pre-injury), Ware or even Freeney (even though he's a DE), they rush to the outside shoulder and dip, they'll do it again only to spin to the inside, they'll rush to the inside rush shoulder and dip, they'll do it again only to spin to the outside, they'll stutter step and then either speed rush to the inside or outside, or bull rush, they extend their arms to keep the OT off them, and then they have all these different hand movements to get the OT off them, and they do all this while watching the OT's feet and body position to determine what type of pass rush look they are going to give..

Lawson and Haralson, haven't learned any of that in 3 to 4 years, they still use the same moves they came in with... Straight bull rush and take themselves out of the play speed rush to the outside. That's it... If they haven't learned by now. I doubt they ever will.. I hope they prove me wrong...

[ Edited by Eduardo75 on Nov 7, 2009 at 11:07:10 ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
You can't turn a pinto into a Lambo.
Lawson is another of those "good athletes" that we drafted who isn't really good at any position. Just so so at LB, can cover most TEs on pass plays but just ok on rushing qb and stopping the run. Brooks has the size and speed to be a 3-4 rusher but he also has a heart the size of a mustard seed. No heart, no passion.
Originally posted by susweel:
You can't turn a pinto into a Lambo.

O 'RLY..... LOL

[ Edited by MadMartz on Nov 7, 2009 at 12:00:59 ]
First, Id like to clarify what I mean by a "Big Time Pass Rusher." In my opinion a top notch pass rusher is a double digit sack producer per year. They are both good players - nothing special but still solid. As to your question - I don't feel either one will ever be a "Big Time Pass Rusher." We need to get one in FA or the draft.
Nope, I don't think either one of them have it in them.
Coaches can only do so much, the players have to have the talent to begin with. Another great job by Scot for giving Haralson a 15M extension.
Originally posted by natrone06:
I think Parys is going to develop into a big time pass rusher this season. I expect 10+. Not really sure about Manny.

you must be trippin. 1 sack and 1 1/2 sacks respectively thru half of the season? I just don't see either of them getting at least 1 sack per game from here on out. I'd be happy if they combined to get like 14 sacks over the course of the season. I'm just not getting my hopes up.

lol they have 2 sacks each. You can't just magically transform a player into a pro-bowler. hahaha
Originally posted by PTulini:
Quote:
In eight years as a pro coach, Manusky has seen several of his players earn Pro Bowl honors, including 49ers’ LB Patrick Willis (2007-08) and CB Walt Harris (2007); Chargers’ LB Shawne Merriman (2006), LB Donnie Edwards (2002) and LB Junior Seau (2002); and Redskins’ LB LaVar Arrington (2001). Merriman, Edwards and Arrington all were named to their first career Pro Bowls under Manusky’s tutelage.

Quote:
After retiring from the NFL in 1999, Manusky spent the 2000 season as a volunteer at the Tampa Bay Buccaneers’ training camp, where he worked with the linebackers and special teams. One year later, he accepted a job as linebackers coach with the Redskins.

A well-regarded teacher and communicator, Manusky developed the Chargers linebacking corps into one of the NFL’s stingiest units. They were part of a defense that finished the 2006 season ranked seventh against the rush and third in turnover margin with a plus-13 balance. The unit alone accounted for 42.5 of the defense’s 61 total regular season sacks.

Coaches Profile: DC Greg Manusky

Can one of them be the next Shawne Merriman?

NO

That was an easy answer.
Manny is great against the run and a really good linebacker and so is Harylson but I think Brooks is our best pass rushing OLB. He is a perfect fit for the 3-4. My guess is that by the end of the season Brooks will be the guy that takes the torch.
Originally posted by ninertico:
Originally posted by matt49er:
Lawson is not a big time passrusher but he is a very good overall OLB. Haralson is just a 3rd down rusher and I don't believe he can be the big time double digit sack guy the 9ers hoped he would be. He's not a complete bust I think if he goes back to being a 3rd down guy he would be effective in that role.

We should see more of Brooks too as Singletary said on third downs. He's demonstrates consistent pressure and sacks, he will overtake Lawson...just a matter of production really. Can he keep it up and can he get there?

I have been disappointed that we haven't seen as many sacks as we thought...at least Haralason with 3-5 and Manny with 3-5 would be nice, huh. But alas, it's just a dream because it seems that our scheme caters more toward deception than all out dare to stop it. That is what we need next year.

As long as we can create three and outs, prevent opponents from scoring TDs and continue to have success defending the run, I see us in every game. However, can the OLBs just finish please?!

Why would he take Lawson's spot? Lawson is very good against the run, very good for a LB in coverage and is ok and is improving as a passrusher. He would take Haralson's spot.
Share 49ersWebzone