There are 149 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Can 49ers DC Greg Manusky Turn Haralson or Lawson Into Big Time Pass Rushers?

Originally posted by BMore9ersfan:
Originally posted by lamontb:
i don't see it. Neither of them are on Merriman's level. Sounds nice though but gotta be realistic

I don't know if we should write them off so quickly. Haralson has already shown himself to be a pretty good pass rusher. Given a full TC and season in Manusky’s scheme, I could see him increasing his sack total by 2-4 sacks. That would put him right at what Merriman did in his last full season (12.5). I figure around 6 – 8 sacks for Manny. I know a lot of people feel that Manny hasn’t shown that ability to rush the passer, but he had 3 last year in spot duty on passing down. I don’t think it’s a stretch to expect him to at the very least double that number now that he’ll be given ample chances to rush the passer. Throw in another hand full of sacks from Willis, Spikes and the rest of our LBs and we have a legitimate shot of getting 30 sacks from our LB corps.

Sorry this didn't really happen, It isn't the coach Parys and Manny just aren't that talented.
Both guys are solid football players, but sadly neither is capable of being an elite pass rusher, which is why Manusky needs to dial up some creative blitz packages and plant some QB's in the ground
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
Both guys are solid football players, but sadly neither is capable of being an elite pass rusher, which is why Manusky needs to dial up some creative blitz packages and plant some QB's in the ground

Bingo!

I like Haralson & Lawson. They are both good guys. But what we need is 2 Elite, Scary, Fast pass-rushers that have multiple moves at OLB.

I am all for seeing what Brooks & Briggs can do on 3rd downs.

This off-season we need to sign a FA starting OLB or Draft a OLB in rd 1 or 2.
Originally posted by JR80Forever:
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:

Bingo!

I like Haralson & Lawson. They are both good guys. But what we need is 2 Elite, Scary, Fast pass-rushers that have multiple moves at OLB.

I am all for seeing what Brooks & Briggs can do on 3rd downs.

This off-season we need to sign a FA starting OLB or Draft a OLB in rd 1 or 2.

I don't think the Niners will find their pass rusher in free agency, unless they want to take a chance on the post-injury, post-steroids Merriman. They have to draft their designated pass rusher from one of these guys:

Carlos Dunlap Florida
Greg Hardy ole miss
Eversen Griffen USC
George Selvie USF
Jerry Hughes TCU
Sergio Kindle Texas
Jermaine Cunningham UF
Greg Romeus Pitt
Brandon Graham Mich
Eric Norwood S. Carolina
Brandon Lang Troy
CJ Wilson E. Carolina
Von Miller Texas A&M
Derrick Morgan Ga Tech
Originally posted by natrone06:
I think Parys is going to develop into a big time pass rusher this season. I expect 10+. Not really sure about Manny.

Huh...we're half way through the season already....and he's not even at 5. I doubt it, unless they strictly use him as a 3rd/4th down rusher, which, IMO, is best suited for. Gets too winded and becomes ineffective if he's out there all day!

[ Edited by 9erluv415 on Nov 6, 2009 at 11:08:02 ]
Originally posted by 9erluv415:
I think Parys is going to develop into a big time pass rusher this season. I expect 10+. Not really sure about Manny.

Huh...we're half way through the season already....and he's not even at 5. I doubt it, unless they strictly use him as a 3rd/4th down rusher, which, IMO, is best suited for. Gets too winded and becomes ineffective if he's out there all day!

I think he posted that back in July

I also expected Haralson to have 10+ sacks
Lawson may be fast but he's not quick enough in close quarters to change direction without giving time for the blocker to recover.
Originally posted by billybonka:
ManLaw is the wierdest guy on the defense

Lawson is a 4-3 LB playing in a 3-4 defense IMHO.
Originally posted by NinerGM:

Lawson is a 4-3 LB playing in a 3-4 defense IMHO.

He is more like a 4-3 DE IMO. Like Mathis and Taylor. Tall skinny and quick.
Haralson still has a chance, he's got the size and the speed to be successful...he needs more moves though, he tries to bull rush too much. As for Manny, I don't see him developing into a great or even good pass rusher. He's a good LB for us though, good against the run and pass, a perfect 1st down / 2nd down LB.

Brooks should be given more chances on 3rd down, it can't be that much worse.
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
Haralson still has a chance, he's got the size and the speed to be successful...he needs more moves though, he tries to bull rush too much. As for Manny, I don't see him developing into a great or even good pass rusher. He's a good LB for us though, good against the run and pass, a perfect 1st down / 2nd down LB.

Brooks should be given more chances on 3rd down, it can't be that much worse.

We have no pass rushers on this team. Just pretenders.

Lolz.. I think, haralson is better improve of the years and better than Lawson.. Lawson looked ok to playing that same since! anyway..
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
Originally posted by 9erluv415:

I think he posted that back in July

I also expected Haralson to have 10+ sacks

Harolson himself predicted 10+ sacks for the year. He has what 3 sacks?

wow according to NFL.com he has only 1 sack Didn't he have 2 sacks in one game?

[ Edited by backontop on Nov 6, 2009 at 16:35:17 ]