There are 55 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Can 49ers DC Greg Manusky Turn Haralson or Lawson Into Big Time Pass Rushers?

Quote:
In eight years as a pro coach, Manusky has seen several of his players earn Pro Bowl honors, including 49ers’ LB Patrick Willis (2007-08) and CB Walt Harris (2007); Chargers’ LB Shawne Merriman (2006), LB Donnie Edwards (2002) and LB Junior Seau (2002); and Redskins’ LB LaVar Arrington (2001). Merriman, Edwards and Arrington all were named to their first career Pro Bowls under Manusky’s tutelage.

Quote:
After retiring from the NFL in 1999, Manusky spent the 2000 season as a volunteer at the Tampa Bay Buccaneers’ training camp, where he worked with the linebackers and special teams. One year later, he accepted a job as linebackers coach with the Redskins.

A well-regarded teacher and communicator, Manusky developed the Chargers linebacking corps into one of the NFL’s stingiest units. They were part of a defense that finished the 2006 season ranked seventh against the rush and third in turnover margin with a plus-13 balance. The unit alone accounted for 42.5 of the defense’s 61 total regular season sacks.

Coaches Profile: DC Greg Manusky

Can one of them be the next Shawne Merriman?
If either one of them is gonna be the next Merriman its gotta be Haralson.

Sorry, but lawson just doesn't fit that bulky, bull rushing, OLB mold that puts fear into the heart of opposing team's quarterbacks.

i doubt either one can be as good as merriman, even though they can be good, but if it had to be one, it would be Parys.
I think Parys is going to develop into a big time pass rusher this season. I expect 10+. Not really sure about Manny.
Merriman wasn't too impressive after the steroids.I think that Parys will get double digit sacks this year,hopefully Manny can get 8-10,if these numbers work out,our D will be stout.
I sure hope so! I think it has been more of the scheme we have played that has held back our linebackers growth personally! To top it off lawson was coming off of injury and well he was held out of the majority of the season.

So this season no matter what happens, they will look to have improved boatloads, on the fact of playing the proper scheme and allignment! So will manusky help make them better! Yes, throw in the fact of playing time added that's a plus as well! Id love for both these guys to be probowlers, and get double digit sack. I wanna see em both man handle the qb's they face! And manny is the man in coverage. Now lets see em get them sacks!
Goniners
Bring on the season
Hope he can make them step up and lead this defense to the next level
i don't see it. Neither of them are on Merriman's level. Sounds nice though but gotta be realistic
Originally posted by lamontb:
i don't see it. Neither of them are on Merriman's level. Sounds nice though but gotta be realistic

I don't know if we should write them off so quickly. Haralson has already shown himself to be a pretty good pass rusher. Given a full TC and season in Manusky’s scheme, I could see him increasing his sack total by 2-4 sacks. That would put him right at what Merriman did in his last full season (12.5). I figure around 6 – 8 sacks for Manny. I know a lot of people feel that Manny hasn’t shown that ability to rush the passer, but he had 3 last year in spot duty on passing down. I don’t think it’s a stretch to expect him to at the very least double that number now that he’ll be given ample chances to rush the passer. Throw in another hand full of sacks from Willis, Spikes and the rest of our LBs and we have a legitimate shot of getting 30 sacks from our LB corps.
I think we are finding the answer to be.....NO!

Right now, through 7 games:
Haralson has one sack, tied for 125th in the NFL.
Lawson has one and a half sacks, tied for 105th in the NFL.

Fortunately, the rest of the Niners are picking up the slack, especially Willis, McDonald, and Franklin.

For the record, Franklin has more sacks (two), than either Haralson or Lawson. YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. Our defense is tied for 18th in the NFL in sacks, with 16. Only 12 teams have fewer sacks.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
We need some real pass rushers.
We need to find a dominant pass rusher. I think Brooks & Briggs need to see more snaps on 3rd down.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

Fortunately, the rest of the Niners are picking up the slack, especially Willis, McDonald, and Franklin.

For the record, Franklin has more sacks (two), than either Haralson or Lawson. YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. Our defense is tied for 18th in the NFL in sacks, with 16. Only 12 teams have fewer sacks.

Lawson lack of any sort of "speed rush" is troubleing. Bull rush is all he has.
I'd like to see Brooks in on known passing situation's. (Just to see what he could do.)
Originally posted by jta854:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

Lawson lack of any sort of "speed rush" is troubleing. Bull rush is all he has.

His bull rush has been more effective then the Parys rush lol
ManLaw is the wierdest guy on the defense