LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 281 users in the forums

Can Ricky Jean-Francois be the GOAT @ lineman?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
i hope so, but how many players come out and say "i just wanna be average"? ofcourse the guy is gonna set the bar high
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
i hope so, but how many players come out and say "i just wanna be average"? ofcourse the guy is gonna set the bar high

true, but how many players come out and say that before their first Training camp, preseason, or season.

Most rookies are humbled even in their first mini camp. For example Kory Sheets after the first June camp said, "Man its hard out here." http://twitter.com/Sheets24K 7:53 PM Jun 3rd from web
[ Edited by global_nomad on Jul 22, 2009 at 7:47 AM ]
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
Who really is the GOAT of the DL

Reggie White, Bruce Smith, Charles Haley????

Haley does not belong on that list. There are at least 5 DL, and probably more, who have had better Careers than Haley. I would say Reggie White -- he could do it all.
Originally posted by KknighthawkK_9er:

Haley does not belong on that list. There are at least 5 DL, and probably more, who have had better Careers than Haley. I would say Reggie White -- he could do it all.

Agreed. Reggie White is GOAT of DL
Originally posted by phatbutskinny:

There really isn't even a good argument to refute that claim.
Originally posted by global_nomad:
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:

true, but how many players come out and say that before their first Training camp, preseason, or season.

Most rookies are humbled even in their first mini camp. For example Kory Sheets after the first June camp said, "Man its hard out here." http://twitter.com/Sheets24K 7:53 PM Jun 3rd from web

he was singing and they caught him at the wrong time, "its hard out here for a pimp"
Well he is from the Great state of Florida. So his chances are pretty high that he will succeed in the league. We have the best talent in the NFL hands down. Plus he is from my city of Miami, and we have plenty of players in the NFL doing great.

I like his attitude. I wish him the best. He played along Glenn Dorsey.....maybe he was the reason Dorsey was so good in college
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

I think that Bruce Smith was better as a pure pass rusher. He was double and triple teamed consistently, and it did not make much of a difference. Of course. so was Reggie. It's a tough one to call.
Can we at least see him with some pads on before we have this convo?

You almost have to add Deacon Jones to the argument. The man coined the fraise "Sack" and his famous head slap was a lethal weapon. Although the numbers are not official, because the league didn’t officially record track sacks until 1982, Jones averaged 20 per season from 1964 to 1969. And that was during that a time when the regular season was only 14 games. Jones revolutionized the position and has to be mentioned in any discussion of greatest D-Linemen of all times.

Originally posted by BMore9ersfan:

You almost have to add Deacon Jones to the argument. The man coined the fraise "Sack" and his famous head slap was a lethal weapon. Although the numbers are not official, because the league didn’t officially record track sacks until 1982, Jones averaged 20 per season from 1964 to 1969. And that was during that a time when the regular season was only 14 games. Jones revolutionized the position and has to be mentioned in any discussion of greatest D-Linemen of all times.

Agreed on Deacon Jones. He would have had like 250 sacks or something ridiculous had it been a calculated statistic.
Does Freddie Mitchell really have the best hands ever?
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Does Freddie Mitchell really have the best hands ever?

His brother Billy does
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by lamontb:
I wouldn't really look at Jean-Francois as a 7th rounder since he was basically projected as a 2nd to 4th round pick before the draft. He pretty much dropped due to his 12 month suspension, attitude and groin injury.

Which makes him a 7th rounder

You see your looking at it as its written, but not understanding the big picture. Of course hes a 7th rounder, thanks Dr. Obvious, but for his play on the field and potential, he was projected around a 2nd-4th round pick. Which is why I said I wouldn't really look at him as a 7th round pick. Different atmosphere, coaching, teammates, mindset, who knows maybe his play will finally live up to the potential people once saw in him.

I don't buy that "he's really 3rd round talent" arguement at all. It's the same thing as saying Crabtree should be paid as much or more than Heyward-Bey, because he "should" or "could" have been drafted first.

Where you are drafted is where you are drafted. Regardless of what the reason might be as to why you were drafted lower than perhaps you or others expected.

Off the field, mental, work ethic and those types of issues are as real as concerns about height/weight/speed/talent or any other reason someone falls in the draft.

And while, of course, there are always some players who perform better than expected based on their draft spot. Most 7th rounders and UDFAs do not produce in the NFL and many never make it past the practice squad.

So, expecting anything more from RJF than you would from any other 7th rounder, because at one point he might have been viewed as being drafted earlier, is just fooling yourself with wing and a prayer optimism.

It is highly unlikely that EVERY team in the NFL, including us, was so off in their assesment of this player, that he should be viewed as "mid round talent".

Sure, we all hope he's the DE version of Tom Brady or Marques Colston, but until/unless he starts showing it one the field, there shouldn't be any expectation for more than hopefully landing a roster spot.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TexasNiner:
Originally posted by lamontb:
I wouldn't really look at Jean-Francois as a 7th rounder since he was basically projected as a 2nd to 4th round pick before the draft. He pretty much dropped due to his 12 month suspension, attitude and groin injury.

Which makes him a 7th rounder

You see your looking at it as its written, but not understanding the big picture. Of course hes a 7th rounder, thanks Dr. Obvious, but for his play on the field and potential, he was projected around a 2nd-4th round pick. Which is why I said I wouldn't really look at him as a 7th round pick. Different atmosphere, coaching, teammates, mindset, who knows maybe his play will finally live up to the potential people once saw in him.

I don't buy that "he's really 3rd round talent" arguement at all. It's the same thing as saying Crabtree should be paid as much or more than Heyward-Bey, because he "should" or "could" have been drafted first.

Where you are drafted is where you are drafted. Regardless of what the reason might be as to why you were drafted lower than perhaps you or others expected.

Off the field, mental, work ethic and those types of issues are as real as concerns about height/weight/speed/talent or any other reason someone falls in the draft.

And while, of course, there are always some players who perform better than expected based on their draft spot. Most 7th rounders and UDFAs do not produce in the NFL and many never make it past the practice squad.

So, expecting anything more from RJF than you would from any other 7th rounder, because at one point he might have been viewed as being drafted earlier, is just fooling yourself with wing and a prayer optimism.

It is highly unlikely that EVERY team in the NFL, including us, was so off in their assesment of this player, that he should be viewed as "mid round talent".

Sure, we all hope he's the DE version of Tom Brady or Marques Colston, but until/unless he starts showing it one the field, there shouldn't be any expectation for more than hopefully landing a roster spot.

Yup. Maurice Clarett had a similar before and after rating. He had a nice career.
Share 49ersWebzone