LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 293 users in the forums

Sacks for Justin Smith

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Sacks for Justin Smith

When we picked up Justin Smith he was suppost to be a big sack guy for us. That didnt happen last year but his play was exceptional. How many sacks does the NATION think he will get this year?
since when is 7 sacks from a 3-4 defensive end not enough?
I didnt say it wasnt enough but its not like 10-15 sacks
Originally posted by 49erForLife420:

only a few guys do this, tho. J. Smith was awesome -- he has a motor like BY and was great once we put him as a down lineman. he mighta gotten more if he wasn't all over the field in retard nolan's whack hybrid scheme
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
Originally posted by 49erForLife420:

only a few guys do this, tho. J. Smith was awesome -- he has a motor like BY and was great once we put him as a down lineman. he mighta gotten more if he wasn't all over the field in retard nolan's whack hybrid scheme

This was Cincinnati's problem when he was drafted. Smith has ALWAYS been a 3-4 end. He was coming out of college and he remains that way now. Problem is...when you have a player with that high a motor and as talented as he is, teams always try to get him to play positions and take responsibilities that he shouldnt play or have to take on.

Nolan's problem was he came from a team/system that was established and had established superstars. He thought he was smart enough to duplicate that when he came here with next to no talent to start with. His problem was that he forgot that the Ravens were strictly a 3-4 team before they ALL became comfortable within the system, which then allowed the DC's to play with schemes a little. He NEVER allowed anyone to become comfortable in their roles...yet always felt the need to change them by the week.

Smith is a really good piece to have on an attacking 3-4...which is what Manusky is putting together.
  • Chief
  • Veteran
I don't care, he is a badass and a warrior.
He wasn't expected to put up Strahan-like sack numbers. 6-7 sacks is just about right for what we (at least I) thought he'd bring, along with very tough run defense and a solid all-around defender. Sorry if you were expecting more, but this is what he's always been and there aren't many out there like him.
  • evil
  • Veteran
First off, Smith was not ALWAYS a 3-4 DE. He played it for his first 2 years in Cincy under then HC Dick Lebeau. When Marvin Lewis took over he moved to 4-3 DE (and played some DT in nickel situations like he does for us).

Secondly his role as a 3-4 DE means he won't get big sacks numbers. He also plays inside on nickel downs like I mentioned above. Seems some people are confused by us paying big money to a DE and what his role is in this defense.
It's not about the sacks, it's about the pressure
He was not brought in to be a big sack guy.
Just think about it Nolan brought him in and we all know Nolan hates sacking the quarterback. Dont get me wrong Smith is a badass and Im glad as hell that we have him.

Originally posted by reasonable1:
since when is 7 sacks from a 3-4 defensive end not enough?

Thats actually great for a 3-4 end
Another year like last year would be just great!

He was everything we could have hoped for last season. Played hard every down, never came off the field. Got 8 sacks, which is very good for a 3-4 DE.

An excellent FA signing IMO.
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:

He was everything we could have hoped for last season. Played hard every down, never came off the field. Got 8 sacks, which is very good for a 3-4 DE.

Agreed,he has played great for us,some people on this site love to show how little they understand football by heaping unrealistic expectations on players.Smith has never been a big sack guy,he is what he was last year,and if he continues to be the same,we will be good in the DE department.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:

Agreed,he has played great for us,some people on this site love to show how little they understand football by heaping unrealistic expectations on players.Smith has never been a big sack guy,he is what he was last year,and if he continues to be the same,we will be good in the DE department.

Guy's got a nonstop motor, tough as nails, has to be accounted for on every play.

Plus he gets some sacks. Not like an OLB, but more than average for his position.

Without the "bend don't break," "hybrid" nonsense defense of last year, I would not be surprised to see him add to his sacks total this year.
  • indianajim
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by btthepunk:
Just think about it Nolan brought him in and we all know Nolan hates sacking the quarterback.

LOL! Awesome.

btthepunk is right. Smith was brought in to be a 3-4 DE, which means hold the point of attack, and keep up the pressure. The 3-4 DE's are supposed to wear down the offensive linemen that block them, so that the linebackers can get around them easier.
Share 49ersWebzone