LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 233 users in the forums

The San Francisco Cowboys

Shop Find 49ers gear online
The Chronicle and Kevin Lynch are full of sh%&!
Originally posted by Chief:
The article was like your basic Niner talk thread.

Some bored goober with nothing better to do writing about the 49ers.
Originally posted by BrodieFan:
I guess I don't understand why there is so much anger at the comparison. Raye's system is admittedly similar to Norv Turner. The line they're building is big and bruising and uses a very similar blocking scheme. Frank Gore IS a very similar runner in that he hits the holes hard, but has moves to make DB's whiff on the tackles. They'll use the blocking back just like the Cowboys did. I think Michael Irvin is the best comparison for Crabtree.

I've always thought they were trying to build an early to mid 90's Cowboys-like offense and a early 00's Ravens-like setup for the defense. I can't stand the Cowboys either, just like most long-time Niner fans, but let's be honest - that early to mid-90's Cowboys team was a great team.

The only reason there is so much anger at the comparison is because everyone hates the Cowboys and comparing us to them is an insult to some. Our offense is indeed being built like theirs was in the early 90s. Unfortunately, we don't have the same talent on the offensive line - not even close. I don't think Emmitt Smith was such a great RB, he benefitted from having such a dominating offensive line. He obviously had to be a good back to do some of the things he did, but I feel if someone like Frank Gore was put behind an O-Line as dominant as Emmitt's was, Gore would put up some colossal numbers that would make people sick. Hell, Gore was dominant in 06, and that line was nowhere near as good as Dallas' in the early 90s.

The comparison of Hill to Aikman was ridiculous. As much as I hate to admit it, Aikman was one of the better QBs of all time (not top 10 material or anything like that, but he was good). We also don't have anyone with the playmaking ability of Michael Irvin () - yet. I think Crabtree can be a better receiver than Irvin ever was if things go right.

As the article mentions, our defense is nothing like theirs. As BrodieFan says, our defense is more like the Ravens of the early 2000s, only not as good. But since defense is 1/3 of the game, and since we're not mimicking anybody's special teams, having an offense similar to Dallas' means only 1/3 of our team is in any way similar to Dallas' of the early 90s. So how exactly are we trying to be the Cowboys again?
[ Edited by 49erRider on Jul 15, 2009 at 2:16 PM ]
Also, I think what that douche Lynch was trying to say is we've abandoned our "identity" as Bill Walsh's finess team and have started moving towards a more bruising, power team like Dallas was in the early 90s. This is very true, but he went about it all wrong.
Were lucky they don't refer to our team as the 4 and 9-ers since that's pretty much what we have been every year for the past six seasons.
Originally posted by WestCoastNut:
Originally posted by kidash98:
I don't think anyone runs the WCO as it was run in the 80's anymore.

the last of the desciple "retired" last year (Holmgren). Shanahan, when the coach of the Broncos, expanded on the WCO and included the shotgun formation along with the rest of the formations under the WCO.

You're right that no team run a WCO the way it was ran in the 80's but there are still teams using thephilosophy: Green Bay (under McCarthy), variations of the Eagles offense is based on WCO (Reid), variations of Seahawks offense (even under Mora) and variations of the Bucks (under Gruden) to name a few....

Sadly, the defensive schemes adapted to the WCO and are now able to combat it thus resulting in newer schemes being the new ins, nowadays ("power running" style ala Parcell)...

I don't think we are going back or should go back to 80's WCO. I would, however, like to see us return to the following WCO-like behavior:

• -- Run the short passing game again at will (so far, Hill can do this but Smith doesn't have in his repetoir),
  • -- Move-the-chains running in the second half (Gore, Coffee, Morgan, and O'line improvements can make this a reality)
  • -- Big YAC receptions (crabtree's and davis' strength),
  • -- Blow your mind occasional long ball strikes (especially on short yardage plays--crabtree, morgan, bruce, and hill are a real threat).
  • -- Occasional knock-you-off-the-couch gimic play, like JR on reverses (Rossum showed us something, but it's a dead giveaway when he's on offense).

Digit system low percentage bombing runs with a predictable running game are fine if you can impose your will--otherwise, those three and outs are death-by-a-thousand-cuts. Boring!

I loved it when every eligible receiver was a likely threat, and defenses didn't know where they would get hit next. I'm excited to see us return to this kind of game, but now it would be finesse with power.

Like Ali--float like a butterfly, sting like a bee!

our motto is float like a butterfly and hit like a freight train
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:

the last of the desciple "retired" last year (Holmgren). Shanahan, when the coach of the Broncos, expanded on the WCO and included the shotgun formation along with the rest of the formations under the WCO.

You're right that no team run a WCO the way it was ran in the 80's but there are still teams using thephilosophy: Green Bay (under McCarthy), variations of the Eagles offense is based on WCO (Reid), variations of Seahawks offense (even under Mora) and variations of the Bucks (under Gruden) to name a few....

Sadly, the defensive schemes adapted to the WCO and are now able to combat it thus resulting in newer schemes being the new ins, nowadays ("power running" style ala Parcell)...

I don't think we are going back or should go back to 80's WCO. I would, however, like to see us return to the following WCO-like behavior:

• -- Run the short passing game again at will (so far, Hill can do this but Smith doesn't have in his repetoir),
  • -- Move-the-chains running in the second half (Gore, Coffee, Morgan, and O'line improvements can make this a reality)
  • -- Blow your mind occasional long ball strikes (especially on short yardage plays--crabtree, morgan, bruce, and hill are a real threat).
  • -- Occasional knock-you-off-the-couch gimic play, like JR on reverses (Rossum showed us something, but it's a dead giveaway when he's on offense).

Digit system low percentage bombing runs with a predictable running game are fine if you can impose your will--otherwise, those three and outs are death-by-a-thousand-cuts. Boring!

I loved it when every eligible receiver was a likely threat, and defenses didn't know where they would get hit next. I'm excited to see us return to this kind of game, but now it would be finesse with power.

On offense?

"Float like freight train and hit like a butterfly" would better describe the last few years.
Originally posted by Overkill:

"Float like freight train and hit like a butterfly" would better describe the last few years.

LOL!
Pure crap. Lynch needs to get back on his medication.

Alot of writers assume we are trying to emulate someone else's identity. Sing would disagree, I'm sure. I bet he'll say we're going to have our own identity, and years from now, crappy teams will try to emulate us.

• WestCoastNut
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by 49erRider:
I guess I don't understand why there is so much anger at the comparison. Raye's system is admittedly similar to Norv Turner. The line they're building is big and bruising and uses a very similar blocking scheme. Frank Gore IS a very similar runner in that he hits the holes hard, but has moves to make DB's whiff on the tackles. They'll use the blocking back just like the Cowboys did. I think Michael Irvin is the best comparison for Crabtree.

I've always thought they were trying to build an early to mid 90's Cowboys-like offense and a early 00's Ravens-like setup for the defense. I can't stand the Cowboys either, just like most long-time Niner fans, but let's be honest - that early to mid-90's Cowboys team was a great team.

The only reason there is so much anger at the comparison is because everyone hates the Cowboys and comparing us to them is an insult to some. Our offense is indeed being built like theirs was in the early 90s. Unfortunately, we don't have the same talent on the offensive line - not even close. I don't think Emmitt Smith was such a great RB, he benefitted from having such a dominating offensive line. He obviously had to be a good back to do some of the things he did, but I feel if someone like Frank Gore was put behind an O-Line as dominant as Emmitt's was, Gore would put up some colossal numbers that would make people sick. Hell, Gore was dominant in 06, and that line was nowhere near as good as Dallas' in the early 90s.

The comparison of Hill to Aikman was ridiculous. As much as I hate to admit it, Aikman was one of the better QBs of all time (not top 10 material or anything like that, but he was good). We also don't have anyone with the playmaking ability of Michael Irvin () - yet. I think Crabtree can be a better receiver than Irvin ever was if things go right.

As the article mentions, our defense is nothing like theirs. As BrodieFan says, our defense is more like the Ravens of the early 2000s, only not as good. But since defense is 1/3 of the game, and since we're not mimicking anybody's special teams, having an offense similar to Dallas' means only 1/3 of our team is in any way similar to Dallas' of the early 90s. So how exactly are we trying to be the Cowboys again?

Never. imitation is the best
flattery, so I hope it ain't so.
[ Edited by WestCoastNut on Jul 15, 2009 at 3:35 PM ]

wow.. what a stretch. those comparisons dont even make much sense. that guy must be really desperate for writing material.
This article is st8 garbage..the writer should be flogged with a wet whip while watching highlights of Tony Homo choking in Dec
Originally posted by Overkill:
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:

On offense?

they look to be pretty powerful on offense this year to me
that was such a horrible article, lol.

THe only similarity is the run philosophy, which many other teams have done as well.
ignore list +1
Share 49ersWebzone