There are 265 users in the forums

Singletary to pick QB by third preseason game

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • indianajim
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by BrodieFan:
Thanks to Ninertico for pointing out what should be common knowledge among Niner fans - that sometimes good coaches set up competition for the starting QB position. I mean really - if Walsh can bring in a guy to compete with the greatest QB in the team's history, Singletary can be given the benefit of the doubt here with respect to a competition for this position this season.

Too right! On the 49ers "Complete History" DVD, Walsh is giving a TV interview in 1988 and says "We have to decide between Joe Montana and Steve Young." He really was concerned with Joe's health at that point, and wasn't sure which way he was going to go. If Young could compete with Montana in 1988, then Smith can compete with Hill. Unless Hill and his supporters can't handle a competition with a bust, of course.
  • indianajim
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by carl:
And another thing. New offensive coordinator (again!) this year... I'm pretty sure Singletary would like a QB that has proven he can improvise with a new system... which Alex has proven time and again he can't.

This is something that is patently wrong. Jimmy Raye's system is Norv's system with a few differences. The routes are all the same, the protections are the same, just some terms are different. Smith is nearly an academic genius, meaning, his brain will memorize the new terms easily. When he gets on the field the system still works the same around him, it's not something he needs to re-learn how to play.
Captain obvious to announce Scot's choice for starting QB after the third pre-season game. How exciting. . And if you think that this decision isn't going to be made by Scot, I have some ocean front property in New Mexico to sell you.

As the days pass, I become more and more disenchanted with the so called "leadership" of this organization. It's makes you think about what could have been. What the hell are we doing here with Scot and Sing? We had the chance to do it right. We were starting over. It is absolutely preposterous that we are in this position. We got a Mulligan for the Nolan hiring, and then we shanked another one. I have a new saying for 2009 now, "Scot and Sing equal nothing."

At least Shanny has come out and announced his intention to coach again. If Jed isn't working the phones right now in order to line him up after this season, then he is as big of a bumpkin as his father is. Can we get some true professionals back in this organization? PLEASE!
Originally posted by singfan:
Captain obvious to announce Scot's choice for starting QB after the third pre-season game. How exciting. . And if you think that this decision isn't going to be made by Scot, I have some ocean front property in New Mexico to sell you.

As the days pass, I become more and more disenchanted with the so called "leadership" of this organization. It's makes you think about what could have been. What the hell are we doing here with Scot and Sing? We had the chance to do it right. We were starting over. It is absolutely preposterous that we are in this position. We got a Mulligan for the Nolan hiring, and then we shanked another one. I have a new saying for 2009 now, "Scot and Sing equal nothing."

At least Shanny has come out and announced his intention to coach again. If Jed isn't working the phones right now in order to line him up after this season, then he is as big of a bumpkin as his father is. Can we get some true professionals back in this organization? PLEASE!

What has Shanahan done since Elway retired?You know what he has done,he coached his way to being fired by his best buddy.He is one of those guys better suited to being an OC than a HC.After he won a couple of Superbowls with Dan Reeves team,he slowly and steadily sank to the bottom of the AFC west.Mike Holmgren would be a much better choice for HC,luckily we already have one.You really should get over your unreasonable hate for Singletary or at least change your handle,it makes you seem like a troll to put on your act with that dumb handle you are sporting.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

What has Shanahan done since Elway retired?You know what he has done,he coached his way to being fired by his best buddy.He is one of those guys better suited to being an OC than a HC.After he won a couple of Superbowls with Dan Reeves team,he slowly and steadily sank to the bottom of the AFC west.Mike Holmgren would be a much better choice for HC,luckily we already have one.You really should get over your unreasonable hate for Singletary or at least change your handle,it makes you seem like a troll to put on your act with that dumb handle you are sporting.

He is a troll dude, just ignore crap like that.
One of the two will step up and be ready to take the job and be successful, can't wait

you really need to give it up, you're just embarrassing yourself now man
Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:

Listen, you try hard. I'm one that certainly appreciates effort. However, you have to know where best to apply that effort. For instance, some people only post in the Parking Lot because that is where they can give the best effort.

Listen, you try hard. I'm one that certainly appreciates effort. However, you have to know where best to apply that effort. For instance, some people only post in the Parking Lot because that is where they can give the best effort.

This is all you do...

I'll put in a bid for the ocean front property. PM me.

-9fA

Originally posted by indianajim:
Originally posted by volniner:
Originally posted by global_nomad:
Originally posted by volniner:
Ok. You are right. I'm just full of s**t. Feel better about yourself now.

vol you think you know? or you don't think Singletary will say much until the announcement?

I think it will be " played out " as a neck and neck battle and smith will be named starter.

Regardless of whether volniner knows anything or not, I think he's right. Because Alex Smith is gong to prove himself to be the better player. He now has better coaches, better receivers, better linemen, and a better attitude since the last time he played in a regular season game when healthy, which is nearly 2 years.

How are the current crop of coaches better for Smith then the famed qb guru's in Turner and Martz he had at his disposal before?? They couldn't even "fix" him. Some of you wishful thinkers will depart from reality and say anything to perpetuate the dream that Smith can magically turn into a functional qb 5 yrs after his arrival to the NFL. Why not give him another 5 yrs to do so...........
[ Edited by Sabrason on Jul 20, 2009 at 12:26 AM ]

And you should not be siding with an unproven, inexperienced and grossly unqualified coaching nobody like MS (who was NEVER a niner and has no previous ties with the team) over a proven winner and former 49er coach like Shanny who you seem to be willing to bash at will. It makes you seem more like a MS/Bear fan instead of a niner fan.
[ Edited by Sabrason on Jul 20, 2009 at 1:21 AM ]
"EXACTLY which is why most teams don't operate this way"

Ninertico quote: Assumption or fact? If it is fact, then show the proof as most teams do have competition at the QB position no matter what. I think most teams operate the same way as Coach S.

If I know something that you don't, it doesn't mean it becomes my job to provide proof.

Regardless, you missed the point. It's completely dysfunctional to claim you have a playoff-caliber team in JUNE (which most coaches would not do regardless of whether or not they knew who their starting qb was) but not know who your starting qb is until the 3rd preseason game. I shouldn't have to explain why that's a problem but the reasons are numerous.

Uh, and NO, most teams do not operate this way or the same way as MS - which is a laughable notion. Most teams know who their starting qb is long before now and certainly WEELLLL before the 3rd preseason game. Very few teams still uncertain as to who their starting qb is this late have gone on to do well during the following season.

Again, if you're not aware of this stuff and need "proof" then you shouldn't even be communicating with me. This is common knowledge floating around out there for all -- you either have it or you don't.
[ Edited by Sabrason on Jul 20, 2009 at 1:16 AM ]
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Originally posted by alburns:
I wish we could get this done earlier. It really puts us behind when trying to build chemistry. We could be off to a slow start on offense.

Agreed. But two games will give each QB a game start with other starters. This will allow an easier comparison. Deciding before the games would be a disadvantage for Hill, not known as a good practice player, and for Smith, to show if he can "win" games. The Aug. 23 decision date will give the starter three weeks of practice, starting and probably 3 quarters of pre-season game #3 and starting pre-season game #4 (usually for 1 or 2 drives).

Well, if that's what lets you sleep at night more power to you but you're really grasping at straws. Three weeks to practice???? In reality, whoever ends up starting will remain well behind other starting qbs in the league who's position was solidified long before the 3rd preseason game. They will not have had adequate time to build chemistry and continuity on offense (especially important since yet another system is being installed) nevermind the fact that the prolonged uncertainty could weigh heavily and have some other lingering effects that could result in the team finding themselves in a hole early on.

Regarding Hill (since he is favored to win the job), it can't be comforting to know your coaching staff is STILL unsure about you despite how well you've played when given the opportunity. Doesn't bode well for his confidence. MS is hurting the team with this mistake.
[ Edited by Sabrason on Jul 20, 2009 at 11:05 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone