There are 106 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Singletary to pick QB by third preseason game

Originally posted by 49er4eva:

I am sorry but all this back and forth is crazy lol. Lets look at common sense. The HUGE REASON Big Mike got the permanent HC gig was because of Shaun Hill. Yeah thats right I said. If he did not pull JT O 'Suckavan the season would have tanked completely.

Big Mike is a smart man. All this QB comp crap is a joke. Just think about it. You are really going to ditch a 7-3 starter to somebody who supposedly has all the right tools and potential to succeed but looks like crap on the field?

You mean to tell me that Alex Leaf is all of the sudden going to get good over night when he has sucked his whole career? No. This so called competition is just Sing lighting a fire under Hill's ass to max out his potential. It's also trying to hype up Leaf for a possible trade.

He is not going to be around here too long, Im sorry I have a feeling Nate Davis will surpass him and Alex will be cut by next season. If you really think the 49ers re-signed him because they have all this faith in him you are dead wrong, it was purely financial. If Alex even whimpered anything about not re-structuring his contract he would have been cut on the spot.

GO Hill 2009 and hopefully Davis in 2010.

Actually Sing got the job because Nolan was a friggin idiot and in case you forgot Alex Smith wasn't available because Nolan played him way before he should've.

I don't get all the people here doggin on Smith. It's common sense that we want the best player to win the job but EVERYONE should hope the best player turns out to be Alex Smith.

He's younger, has better tools - let's face it Shaun Hill was no better than a 3rd string QB for several franchises before getting a chance with us last year. The way the league works is the cream of the crop rises to the top.

I think Hill played well last year but but having a guy like Smith at qb not only gives us a guy who can play longer but also gives us more options in the offense since he can make more throws.

People use his 2007 season as a statement why he sucks but forget how pathetic the team was around him when he was healthy and that he came back with an injury that never should've seen him on the field again that year.

Oh and in the 3 full games that Smith played that year the niners went 2-1 with a very impressive come back win in Arizona.

Wake up and ease up on the hate. May the best guy win the job.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by genus49:

I am sorry but all this back and forth is crazy lol. Lets look at common sense. The HUGE REASON Big Mike got the permanent HC gig was because of Shaun Hill. Yeah thats right I said. If he did not pull JT O 'Suckavan the season would have tanked completely.

Big Mike is a smart man. All this QB comp crap is a joke. Just think about it. You are really going to ditch a 7-3 starter to somebody who supposedly has all the right tools and potential to succeed but looks like crap on the field?

You mean to tell me that Alex Leaf is all of the sudden going to get good over night when he has sucked his whole career? No. This so called competition is just Sing lighting a fire under Hill's ass to max out his potential. It's also trying to hype up Leaf for a possible trade.

He is not going to be around here too long, Im sorry I have a feeling Nate Davis will surpass him and Alex will be cut by next season. If you really think the 49ers re-signed him because they have all this faith in him you are dead wrong, it was purely financial. If Alex even whimpered anything about not re-structuring his contract he would have been cut on the spot.

Actually Sing got the job because Nolan was a friggin idiot and in case you forgot Alex Smith wasn't available because Nolan played him way before he should've.

I don't get all the people here doggin on Smith. It's common sense that we want the best player to win the job but EVERYONE should hope the best player turns out to be Alex Smith.

He's younger, has better tools - let's face it Shaun Hill was no better than a 3rd string QB for several franchises before getting a chance with us last year. The way the league works is the cream of the crop rises to the top.

I think Hill played well last year but but having a guy like Smith at qb not only gives us a guy who can play longer but also gives us more options in the offense since he can make more throws.
People use his 2007 season as a statement why he sucks but forget how pathetic the team was around him when he was healthy and that he came back with an injury that never should've seen him on the field again that year.

Oh and in the 3 full games that Smith played that year the niners went 2-1 with a very impressive come back win in Arizona.

Wake up and ease up on the hate. May the best guy win the job.[/quote]

such a good post. al bolded are facts. agree with all in bold too.
Originally posted by Jersey9er:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by volniner:
Originally posted by bigmike55:
I normally wouldn't even post this but I'm really tired of the alex vs hill threads. From what I have been told its pretty much a given that alex is the starter and barring some kind of injury he will be the starter week 1 regardless of preseason showings.

All I gotta say after reading through all these postings is....

why don't you tell us who you heard this breaking news from? what's the big deal? if its a player, we all already know him. we're all niner fans. it's not going to be anything special. you don't need to protect his identity. i smell bs.

Go shaun hill

first of all no everybody on here doesn't " know" him and secondly I stand to lose a great friend if this got out. secondly this board is obviously like all other message boards with a bunch of clowns on it. I tried to bring a different perspective and for once very reliable info to this board. I see that good conversation about the niners can't take place here so I will no longer be posting.

That's funny, cause a certain someone on here that met QB coach Mike Johnson, told him that Shaun Hill will most likely start the season, and he has pics to prove it. But whatever, I'm not gonna say your lying its just that I heard different.

Lol. Yea the pics prove he said that. I'm gonna have to learn to read lips from still pictures I guess. By the way I never said the coach didn't tell someone that.

No your right the pics don't prove anything, but it does show he was having some type of conversation with the QB coach. And since I know this person better than I know you, I'd have to believe him. But what's with getting all offensive??

Pretty bold statment there brotha, but hey we all have our opinions which is why we´re on here right. So your statement there could be valid, but then lets also be real. Hill has never started for any team in his entire career. and who cares why not, it´s just fact. So you think that a qb that has never started in his career is gonna turn into a starter overnight. NO. And for the 7-3 record it´s over a four year period, and for 3 of those years, only getting in after all else had failed. Dont remember who, but someone actually wrote about the skewed 7-3 record. 'And also it´s a punch in the face to me if the man who you say so called saved Sing´s job and ever interview it´s said, we havent named a starter. I mean sugarcoat all you want, but if im the reason your here, then shouldnt i be the starter. So i say if you use the same criteria for sucking with smith just being bad, Hill has never been a starter, and it´s stupid of us to think at 30 he´s gonna tap into some hidden talent. I mean correct me if i´m wrong when another qb, supposed to be the starter, meaning hill, himself says alex is doing good out there, better zip, stronger arm, better reads along with, hold on, wait for it, Sing, nfl analysts, both matts of sac bee, espn, and even damn yahoo sports writers are all trying to light a fire under hill to tap into unknown potential. So all these article about smith, and if he can or cant this, or give the kid a shot articles, or any others, etc. Can you really say that with a straight face. :) Once again we know what we have in hill, and if smith has looked unlike he has since he´s been with us, then more people want to see if he can get the job done. i mean really the only time there´s been an article about hill has been when the media says how come sing hasnt named him the starter, and when they are talking about the competition and his named is mentioned, but with smith´s as well. Even doing the research, the smith articles past and present outmatch hills what 4-1. I mean I want the best man to win period, regardles of my bias, and am only pointing out that if you say smith sucks because of this or that, then the same goes for Mr. Hill, who hasnt started a season in his entire career.

Yeah I want him as my starter
I normally wouldn't even post this but I'm really tired of the alex vs hill threads. From what I have been told its pretty much a given that alex is the starter and barring some kind of injury he will be the starter week 1 regardless of preseason showings.

why don't you tell us who you heard this breaking news from? what's the big deal? if its a player, we all already know him. we're all niner fans. it's not going to be anything special. you don't need to protect his identity. i smell bs.

Go shaun hill

first of all no everybody on here doesn't " know" him and secondly I stand to lose a great friend if this got out. secondly this board is obviously like all other message boards with a bunch of clowns on it. I tried to bring a different perspective and for once very reliable info to this board. I see that good conversation about the niners can't take place here so I will no longer be posting.

That's funny, cause a certain someone on here that met QB coach Mike Johnson, told him that Shaun Hill will most likely start the season, and he has pics to prove it. But whatever, I'm not gonna say your lying its just that I heard different.

Lol. Yea the pics prove he said that. I'm gonna have to learn to read lips from still pictures I guess. By the way I never said the coach didn't tell someone that.

No your right the pics don't prove anything, but it does show he was having some type of conversation with the QB coach. And since I know this person better than I know you, I'd have to believe him. But what's with getting all offensive??

Pretty bold statment there brotha, but hey we all have our opinions which is why we´re on here right. So your statement there could be valid, but then lets also be real. Hill has never started for any team in his entire career. and who cares why not, it´s just fact. So you think that a qb that has never started in his career is gonna turn into a starter overnight. NO. And for the 7-3 record it´s over a four year period, and for 3 of those years, only getting in after all else had failed. Dont remember who, but someone actually wrote about the skewed 7-3 record. 'And also it´s a punch in the face to me if the man who you say so called saved Sing´s job and ever interview it´s said, we havent named a starter. I mean sugarcoat all you want, but if im the reason your here, then shouldnt i be the starter. So i say if you use the same criteria for sucking with smith just being bad, Hill has never been a starter, and it´s stupid of us to think at 30 he´s gonna tap into some hidden talent. I mean correct me if i´m wrong when another qb, supposed to be the starter, meaning hill, himself says alex is doing good out there, better zip, stronger arm, better reads along with, hold on, wait for it, Sing, nfl analysts, both matts of sac bee, espn, and even damn yahoo sports writers are all trying to light a fire under hill to tap into unknown potential. So all these article about smith, and if he can or cant this, or give the kid a shot articles, or any others, etc. Can you really say that with a straight face. :) Once again we know what we have in hill, and if smith has looked unlike he has since he´s been with us, then more people want to see if he can get the job done. i mean really the only time there´s been an article about hill has been when the media says how come sing hasnt named him the starter, and when they are talking about the competition and his named is mentioned, but with smith´s as well. Even doing the research, the smith articles past and present outmatch hills what 4-1. I mean I want the best man to win period, regardles of my bias, and am only pointing out that if you say smith sucks because of this or that, then the same goes for Mr. Hill, who hasnt started a season in his entire career.

Go shaun hill

So if he wins the starting job you gonna go be a raider fan?
  • Mikeybdavis
  • Info N/A
[ Edited by Mikeybdavis on Jul 19, 2009 at 1:03 PM ]
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Ok. You are right. I'm just full of s**t. Feel better about yourself now.

I think you should try to understand that if you are going to provide inside information without providing any proof for it, people will doubt it.

You are more than welcome on this board, so don't take it personally. We have had people who lied before you, and there will be some who will lie after you, so it's really hard to trust anyone when they hand out information.

Anyway, I tend to give the benefit of doubt to people, so I will take your word for it with extreme caution. I just hope we pick the right guy who will help us win this division.
I would love for alex to win the job and show us an alex we haven't seen before. I can't wait for august 14
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by teeohh:
I would love for alex to win the job and show us an alex we haven't seen before. I can't wait for august 14

Same here. Obviously, Alex has more potential and talent than Hill, so if he does somehow shows some of that potential and talent on the field, nothing will be more exciting.

Go shaun hill

Aww come on my man, thats the best you got as a response, 1 photo. And old ass photo at that. But i cant blame you for trying. When you got a few words to contradict what i said i´ll be waiting, but just like hill has been since he´s been in the nfl, your still on the bench with that one. :)
  • carl
  • Veteran
I really don't understand all the drama people have with this.

Singletary declared Shaun Hill the starting QB until someone unseats him. Then Alex Smith has to restructure his contract to stay on the team. Then we sign Huard and draft a QB in the latter half of the draft.

Sure, everyone is praising Smiths play in the OTA's... and that he's been putting in that extra study time... Oh yeah, and how his shoulder looks better than it ever has before. At what point will people realize that they say this same hyped up crap about everyone on the team? Seriously! Wake up.

Shaun Hill is our QB unless he gets hit by a bus. And he's going to get the majority of the snaps in training camp when that starts up. And when they say that their mixing things up and getting Alex reps... well, that doesn't mean Alex is going to start. It means they're giving their backup QB who hasn't played in 2 years some practice snaps in training camp. Don't read into the hype.

There is no benefit to the team to declare a starting QB. If anything, it's a benefit to the Cardinals who we play week 1 and lets them know who to game plan against.

And another thing. New offensive coordinator (again!) this year... I'm pretty sure Singletary would like a QB that has proven he can improvise with a new system... which Alex has proven time and again he can't.

All that said, Singletary has proven that he's not afraid to pull a QB. He yanked JTO and he darn near yanked Hill late in the season. He's going to yank Hill at some point this year and Smith will get his chance to shine. But even Smith supporters have to be a little weary of comparing Alex's "closer" success vs Shaun's track record.

It's "fans" like this that make me sick. Ok I can understand the people that think Shaun Hill is the better choice to start or people that think Alex Smith just cannot hack it as a starting QB in the NFL...but crap like that is just pathetic.

What did you show there? A fumble? I guess Montana and Young never made a mistake?

Not to mention the picture alone doesn't even say whose fault that was.

Give me a break. Is that all you have to bring to a discussion? A picture?

And guess what chief...he's not YOUR starter. He would start for the team. You don't own the team unless there is something you'd like to tell us.
Originally posted by genus49:

It's "fans" like this that make me sick. Ok I can understand the people that think Shaun Hill is the better choice to start or people that think Alex Smith just cannot hack it as a starting QB in the NFL...but crap like that is just pathetic.

What did you show there? A fumble? I guess Montana and Young never made a mistake?

Not to mention the picture alone doesn't even say whose fault that was.

Give me a break. Is that all you have to bring to a discussion? A picture?

And guess what chief...he's not YOUR starter. He would start for the team. You don't own the team unless there is something you'd like to tell us.

Well, he IS the Chief.
Originally posted by carl:
I really don't understand all the drama people have with this.

Singletary declared Shaun Hill the starting QB until someone unseats him. Then Alex Smith has to restructure his contract to stay on the team. Then we sign Huard and draft a QB in the latter half of the draft.

Sure, everyone is praising Smiths play in the OTA's... and that he's been putting in that extra study time... Oh yeah, and how his shoulder looks better than it ever has before. At what point will people realize that they say this same hyped up crap about everyone on the team? Seriously! Wake up.

Shaun Hill is our QB unless he gets hit by a bus. And he's going to get the majority of the snaps in training camp when that starts up. And when they say that their mixing things up and getting Alex reps... well, that doesn't mean Alex is going to start. It means they're giving their backup QB who hasn't played in 2 years some practice snaps in training camp. Don't read into the hype.

There is no benefit to the team to declare a starting QB. If anything, it's a benefit to the Cardinals who we play week 1 and lets them know who to game plan against.

And another thing. New offensive coordinator (again!) this year... I'm pretty sure Singletary would like a QB that has proven he can improvise with a new system... which Alex has proven time and again he can't.

All that said, Singletary has proven that he's not afraid to pull a QB. He yanked JTO and he darn near yanked Hill late in the season. He's going to yank Hill at some point this year and Smith will get his chance to shine. But even Smith supporters have to be a little weary of comparing Alex's "closer" success vs Shaun's track record.

Yeah because Sing is such a master of double talk.

People are in such denial they don't even think there's a competition going on.

Nice conspiracy theory, but, if that were true why not just come out and name Shaun the starter?
  • indianajim
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by global_nomad:
Ok. You are right. I'm just full of s**t. Feel better about yourself now.

vol you think you know? or you don't think Singletary will say much until the announcement?

I think it will be " played out " as a neck and neck battle and smith will be named starter.

Regardless of whether volniner knows anything or not, I think he's right. Because Alex Smith is gong to prove himself to be the better player. He now has better coaches, better receivers, better linemen, and a better attitude since the last time he played in a regular season game when healthy, which is nearly 2 years.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home