LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 237 users in the forums

Singletary to pick QB by third preseason game

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Thanks to Ninertico for pointing out what should be common knowledge among Niner fans - that sometimes good coaches set up competition for the starting QB position. I mean really - if Walsh can bring in a guy to compete with the greatest QB in the team's history, Singletary can be given the benefit of the doubt here with respect to a competition for this position this season.

And, as someone who feels Shaun Hill should be respected for winning games and being a very good team manager, and by virtue of that should be assumed the starter at the beginning of competition, I still don't see why anyone thinks he should simply be handed the job. He's not a franchise QB, yet. If he starts, plays most of the season and takes the team to the playoffs, yes, he's the franchise QB. But, he hasn't done that yet.
Sooner the better but 3rd wk aint so bad! It is in a way a good idea imo. Assuming the competition is that close! One will push the other to excell even further in their progression. And if one goes down the other should definately be ready for the nod? To lead our niners

But then the continuity and coheissiveness of the starters could be argued here as well. They do need time to gel. But if the starter pulls a drew brees and has the o practice wit em on their own time to work on things they could be ok as well. As long as there is no pulled hammys or other injuries that occur
Originally posted by BrodieFan:
Thanks to Ninertico for pointing out what should be common knowledge among Niner fans - that sometimes good coaches set up competition for the starting QB position. I mean really - if Walsh can bring in a guy to compete with the greatest QB in the team's history, Singletary can be given the benefit of the doubt here with respect to a competition for this position this season.

And, as someone who feels Shaun Hill should be respected for winning games and being a very good team manager, and by virtue of that should be assumed the starter at the beginning of competition, I still don't see why anyone thinks he should simply be handed the job. He's not a franchise QB, yet. If he starts, plays most of the season and takes the team to the playoffs, yes, he's the franchise QB. But, he hasn't done that yet.

Sometimes the obvious must still be seen and heard.

Thanks man!
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
And Shaun will be ready!
Originally posted by volniner:
I normally wouldn't even post this but I'm really tired of the alex vs hill threads. From what I have been told its pretty much a given that alex is the starter and barring some kind of injury he will be the starter week 1 regardless of preseason showings.

All I gotta say after reading through all these postings is....

why don't you tell us who you heard this breaking news from? what's the big deal? if its a player, we all already know him. we're all niner fans. it's not going to be anything special. you don't need to protect his identity. i smell bs.

Go shaun hill
[ Edited by bigmike55 on Jul 17, 2009 at 10:45 AM ]
Originally posted by alburns:
The quarterback battle between Shaun Hill and Alex Smith is shaping up to be closer than most imagined.

49ers coach Mike Singletary acknowledged how tight the situation is Tuesday, saying he would "hopefully" make a decision by the third preseason game.

PFT Link

glad he finally gave us a date but to be honest w u i dont think hell have a favorite during tc but whoever shows the most potential during the games will be the starter i jus wonder whos gohng to be playing w/ first team in at least 2 of those games. really makes u think how far we are from when 9er nation was debating on montana or young

I really wish zoners would stop making any remote connection between perhaps the worst era in Niners history to the Golden Age. WHy even bring that up homie? All it does is disrespect Joe and Steve.

Alex Smith and Shaun Hill are opposites end of the spectum compared to Joe and Steve. That should be obvious to any Niner fan.
Originally posted by danimal:

I really wish zoners would stop making any remote connection between perhaps the worst era in Niners history to the Golden Age. WHy even bring that up homie? All it does is disrespect Joe and Steve.

Alex Smith and Shaun Hill are opposites end of the spectum compared to Joe and Steve. That should be obvious to any Niner fan.

I don't understand this at all. Everyone in everything they do is compared to the best at what they do. This isn't some religious dogma where you are not permitted to invoke or refer to some god or something. Part of what makes it a challenge for any QB to come to this franchise is the history of great QB's around here. Every single player who comes here to play QB mentions those guys. And pointing out that Walsh used Young to competitively push Montana is in no way, shape or form saying that these QB's are in the same catagory as Young and Montana. It's simply to point out that QB competitions are nothing new around here, even when we've got hall-of-famers at the position.

IMO, he's not comparing the QBs, but rather the process of selecting a starting QB for the season. The process is the same whether it is Alex VS Shaun or Joe VS Steve.

And yes, their is no comparison between back-to-back Hall of Fame QBs and our current QBs...no comparison whatsoever!

You got that right!!

I don't understand this at all. Everyone in everything they do is compared to the best at what they do. This isn't some religious dogma where you are not permitted to invoke or refer to some god or something. Part of what makes it a challenge for any QB to come to this franchise is the history of great QB's around here. Every single player who comes here to play QB mentions those guys. And pointing out that Walsh used Young to competitively push Montana is in no way, shape or form saying that these QB's are in the same catagory as Young and Montana. It's simply to point out that QB competitions are nothing new around here, even when we've got hall-of-famers at the position.

come on. You are just acting dense. Of course QB competitions are nothing new. There is about 2-3 every season for as long as I have been watching football. Ever hear the saying "if you have 2 QB's you don't have any QB)???? Well that is the truth. The Montana-Young competition was a rare exception.

So that leaves any rational person with only 2 conclusions.

1. The QB competition will not produce a high level of play from anyone who plays QB1 over the course of a season....because thats how 95% of all QB competitions historically turn out

2. OR the rare exception will happen and the 2 QB's will help elevate each others game into a high level QB1 play

So since you continue to pretend that a QB competition is not a horrible omen(which of course it is) you act like there is a shot it can result into what happened in the mid to late 80's in San Franchisco!!!

Originally posted by alburns:
The quarterback battle between Shaun Hill and Alex Smith is shaping up to be closer than most imagined.

49ers coach Mike Singletary acknowledged how tight the situation is Tuesday, saying he would "hopefully" make a decision by the third preseason game.

PFT Link

Oh God. Down the path of another wasted season we go......
  • volniner
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by bigmike55:
I normally wouldn't even post this but I'm really tired of the alex vs hill threads. From what I have been told its pretty much a given that alex is the starter and barring some kind of injury he will be the starter week 1 regardless of preseason showings.

why don't you tell us who you heard this breaking news from? what's the big deal? if its a player, we all already know him. we're all niner fans. it's not going to be anything special. you don't need to protect his identity. i smell bs.

Go shaun hill

first of all no everybody on here doesn't " know" him and secondly I stand to lose a great friend if this got out. secondly this board is obviously like all other message boards with a bunch of clowns on it. I tried to bring a different perspective and for once very reliable info to this board. I see that good conversation about the niners can't take place here so I will no longer be posting.

So since you continue to pretend that a QB competition is not a horrible omen(which of course it is) you act like there is a shot it can result into what happened in the mid to late 80's in San Franchisco!!!

No and no. In your opinion, QB competition is a horrible omen - in your opinion. I don't agree that competition is a bad thing. And, nobody is comparing the QB's. I compared the situation as a way of demonstrating that even seasoned franchise QB's sometimes have to compete. Both QB's say the competition is making them better. Why don't we take them at their word?
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by bigmike55:

Go shaun hill

first of all no everybody on here doesn't " know" him and secondly I stand to lose a great friend if this got out. secondly this board is obviously like all other message boards with a bunch of clowns on it. I tried to bring a different perspective and for once very reliable info to this board. I see that good conversation about the niners can't take place here so I will no longer be posting.

Welcome to tha Webzone....it always gets like this when every Alex vs. Shaun is concerned.
Championship!
Share 49ersWebzone