LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 264 users in the forums

Marvel Smith will make O-line much better than last year

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I think the addition of Marvel Smith to the O line will help make us more of a solid unit than last year. Adam Snyder IMO is a good back up, but he gets beat a lot of the time on the right side and that's not even where the pass rushers line up. Marvel Smith played left tackle if I'm not mistaken and was a pro bowler. I know he's kind of up there in age, but still has all the skills to be a dominant right tackle. The pass protection should be greatly improved as well as run blocking. I am telling you right now that our O line will be one of the best in the league.

Staley-Bass-Heitmann-Rachal-Smith=Top 10 offensive line
[ Edited by FriscoKid220 on Jul 12, 2009 at 1:00 PM ]
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Marvel Smith will be 31 in August. He is entering his 10th year in the league. He played Left Tackle for the Steelers. He has won two super bowls and been to two pro bowls.

He hasn't played very much in the past two years due to back injuries. He had surgery in 2007 but that didn't work out as he was misdiagnosed. He had surgery again in 2008 and he now says his back feels good. His case is very similar to Alex Smith’s.
[ Edited by 23zack80 on Jul 12, 2009 at 7:25 PM ]
  • dmatt
  • Veteran
I think you are right on. If he stays healthy, or o-line will be very good. If we could get 12-13 games out of him, I think we are a playoff team.
Originally posted by 23zack80:
Marvel Smith will be 31 in August. He is entering his 10th year in the league. He played Left Tackle for the Steelers. He has won two super bowls and been to two pro bowls. He hasn't played very much in the past two years due to back injuries. He had surgery in 2007 but that didn't work out as he was misdiagnosed. He had surgery again in 2008 and he now says his back feels good. His case is very similar to Alex Smith’s.

Ya, multiple Super Bowls and Pro Bowls, he's exactly like Alex Smith.
6-5, 325 - He's very large. He and Rachal make a very formidable duo there on the right. If they're healthy, they will be plowing out holes and collapsing the line for Gore all year long.
Oh no! Someone mentioned Alex Smith. Now there's going to a food fight.
Watched part of a game between Pittsburgh and the Giants from a couple years ago on NFL Network yesterday. Marvel was in there. He's a big dude! Hope he's healthy. If so, he should be a big help.
Originally posted by dbdublin:
Oh no! Someone mentioned Alex Smith. Now there's going to a food fight.

• DVDA
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Apples:
Originally posted by 23zack80:
Marvel Smith will be 31 in August. He is entering his 10th year in the league. He played Left Tackle for the Steelers. He has won two super bowls and been to two pro bowls. He hasn't played very much in the past two years due to back injuries. He had surgery in 2007 but that didn't work out as he was misdiagnosed. He had surgery again in 2008 and he now says his back feels good. His case is very similar to Alex Smith’s.

Ya, multiple Super Bowls and Pro Bowls, he's exactly like Alex Smith.

Injury wise... You are obviously too smart to realize that though.
prove it

Yeah, i dunno. It's definitely not a given. He's pretty much been out of football for the last 2 years.

-9fA
  • NickV
  • Veteran
Originally posted by King49er:
prove it

Wait for the season to start and see lol.

If we are lucky he will be like the Larry Allen signing in 06.
Originally posted by NickV:
Originally posted by King49er:
prove it

Wait for the season to start and see lol.

If we are lucky he will be like the Larry Allen signing in 06.

Well yeah, but he's yet to play a a game with us and he's been anointed the saviour of the O-Line.

I mean I wanna believe he's going to make us better, but I'll believe it when I see it.

I hope the OP is right and he's the missing link we've been looking for, nothing would make me happier.
I'll believe it when I see it.
Share 49ersWebzone