LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 290 users in the forums

For our non-divisional season games, what do you think our record will be?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

For our non-divisional season games, what do you think our record will be?

Originally posted by Apples:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
The people in this thread are like emo 9er fans. "nooo we... must lose! *slits wrists* all better" holy hell no wonder people call us the 40 whiner fans.

I think it's ridiculous that we can't say anything negative at all about our team without being called a "fake fan".

We haven't had a winning season in 7 years, and I don't think we've done anything this offseason that would greatly improve us...so why can't I predict a losing record?

Nobody is stopping you. Someone might ask why you need so much emotional support to make your prediction. After all, it's the easiest, safest and most simple-minded prediction anyone could possibly make after not having a winning season in 7 years.
Originally posted by BrodieFan:
The people in this thread are like emo 9er fans. "nooo we... must lose! *slits wrists* all better" holy hell no wonder people call us the 40 whiner fans.

I think it's ridiculous that we can't say anything negative at all about our team without being called a "fake fan".

We haven't had a winning season in 7 years, and I don't think we've done anything this offseason that would greatly improve us...so why can't I predict a losing record?

Nobody is stopping you. Someone might ask why you need so much emotional support to make your prediction. After all, it's the easiest, safest and most simple-minded prediction anyone could possibly make after not having a winning season in 7 years.

Ah, so predicting a winning season makes you brave and intellectual, and gives you a sense of being better than everyone else.

Got it.
Our division is weak. Our playoff hopes dont depend on this record too much.

Ah, so predicting a winning season makes you brave and intellectual, and gives you a sense of being better than everyone else.

Got it.

No, you don't have it. I've said this a million times. It's a safe and easy bet to predict failure. It's always safe to predict failure in this kind of thing. After all, 31 teams will fail to win a championship and most teams will fail to reach the playoffs. Courage and intellectual capacity have little or nothing to do with this. A prediction is a bet. Predicting success doesn't mean someone is smart or brave (in fact, as we see on these discussions, it may be a sign of delusional thinking) - just that they are ready to make a prediction or a bet which is against the odds. And, it's easier to go with the odds. That's all. Nothing personal.

Got it.

No, you don't have it. I've said this a million times. It's a safe and easy bet to predict failure. It's always safe to predict failure in this kind of thing. After all, 31 teams will fail to win a championship and most teams will fail to reach the playoffs. Courage and intellectual capacity have little or nothing to do with this. A prediction is a bet. Predicting success doesn't mean someone is smart or brave (in fact, as we see on these discussions, it may be a sign of delusional thinking) - just that they are ready to make a prediction or a bet which is against the odds. And, it's easier to go with the odds. That's all. Nothing personal.

Well you could be brave for predicting a winning season after 7 loosing ones.It certainly takes more courage than assuming the worst is going to happen.I agree about the intellect part of it,you can be smart and still get mired down with the looser mentality.I have no doubt that Apples is an intelligent guy,but I think he has been stigmatized by having to put up with what we have all had to deal with for the last 7 years.Some people just get into a rut and assume that things will remain bad forever.It is a personality trait,some people are optimists,some are pessimists but neither makes you a bad person or any less of a fan.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

Got it.

Well you could be brave for predicting a winning season after 7 loosing ones.It certainly takes more courage than assuming the worst is going to happen.I agree about the intellect part of it,you can be smart and still get mired down with the looser mentality.I have no doubt that Apples is an intelligent guy,but I think he has been stigmatized by having to put up with what we have all had to deal with for the last 7 years.Some people just get into a rut and assume that things will remain bad forever.It is a personality trait,some people are optimists,some are pessimists but neither makes you a bad person or any less of a fan.

And you have to remember, that "fan" is just short for fanatic.

Of course, you have to be a bit of a homer to think a team that has been among the bottom of the NFL at worst and mediocre at best will suddenly be great (or even good) until they prove it on the field.

And of course, the path of least resistance (and heartbreak) is to assume the worst, or at least, to not allow yourself to get caught up in what may be false hope.

But, at some point, reality has to set in for both sides. Like in all things, the truth is usually somewhere in the middle of two opposing view points.

And, given what this team has been like for that past few years and what changes we have (or haven't) made this year, there is no reason to assume gigantic change in either direction.

We are, most likely, about a .500 team. So, anyone predicting us to go more than a game or two above or below .500 is probably overly negative or drinking too much Kool Aid.

And the difference between a .500 team going 10-6 or 6-10 is just 2 games that do or don't go in their favor. If they split them, they are .500, if they win or lose both they are 10-6 or 6-10.

That is where we are at. Will 10-6, if it happens, be good enough to win the division or make the playoffs? Only time will tell. Much will depend on how many of those wins came within our division and if they were against the right teams.

But anyone thinking we are significantly better or worse than a .500 team with a shot of winning or losing a couple extra games that put us over the edge or drop us under a winning season, isn't paying attention and is allowing their negativity or their homerism to cloud their judgement.

That is just where we are as a franchise. And until/unless we come out and peform signifcantly above/below the .500 mark for a good 6-8 or more game stretch, it will be pretty hard for anyone to claim we have progressed or regressed beyond that.
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
Our division is weak. Our playoff hopes dont depend on this record too much.

How so? If we blew our division out 6-0, we still wouldnt make playoffs!! These are the most important games, because they are the toughest games, and guess what there are 10 of them...hmmm sounds like them are quite important!
Originally posted by TexasNiner:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

Got it.

And you have to remember, that "fan" is just short for fanatic.

Of course, you have to be a bit of a homer to think a team that has been among the bottom of the NFL at worst and mediocre at best will suddenly be great (or even good) until they prove it on the field.

And of course, the path of least resistance (and heartbreak) is to assume the worst, or at least, to not allow yourself to get caught up in what may be false hope.

But, at some point, reality has to set in for both sides. Like in all things, the truth is usually somewhere in the middle of two opposing view points.

And, given what this team has been like for that past few years and what changes we have (or haven't) made this year, there is no reason to assume gigantic change in either direction.

We are, most likely, about a .500 team. So, anyone predicting us to go more than a game or two above or below .500 is probably overly negative or drinking too much Kool Aid.

And the difference between a .500 team going 10-6 or 6-10 is just 2 games that do or don't go in their favor. If they split them, they are .500, if they win or lose both they are 10-6 or 6-10.

That is where we are at. Will 10-6, if it happens, be good enough to win the division or make the playoffs? Only time will tell. Much will depend on how many of those wins came within our division and if they were against the right teams.

But anyone thinking we are significantly better or worse than a .500 team with a shot of winning or losing a couple extra games that put us over the edge or drop us under a winning season, isn't paying attention and is allowing their negativity or their homerism to cloud their judgement.

That is just where we are as a franchise. And until/unless we come out and peform signifcantly above/below the .500 mark for a good 6-8 or more game stretch, it will be pretty hard for anyone to claim we have progressed or regressed beyond that.

I really like the way you played this post. It is a more educated approach to it, but where is the fun in being the little kid wishing for everything on christmas day and actually getting it or the anxiety and disappointment for not getting it. That is what the implied definition of "fanatic" is. Without that Football is nothing more than watching golf on a sunday afternoon.

I think you made alot of sense, however, I will continue to look at how well we ended the year, and the great changes in attitude and demeanor Sing has made in our team. I know those are the things that makes a player better at what he does. I see great strides and significant evidence to assume a drastic change in year end results. Do I think we will be 12-4? of course not, but 10-6 is the mere minimum, in my eyes. Anything below that would be shooting under proper expectations. Great post tho. Sometimes people enjoy the philosophical approach instead of the fanatic approach. Cheers!
Originally posted by Bleed49ersRED:
Without that Football is nothing more than watching golf on a sunday afternoon.

Let's not go too far, here. On it's worst day, the NFL will at least keep me awake. Watching golf can't do that.
Wow.

I think we're a .500 team (finishing somewhere between 7-9 and 9-7). Its pretty reasonable to predict our division record somewhere around 4-2, which leaves a non-divisional record of somewhere between 3-7 and 5-5.

But apparently asking for losing record options on this pole disqualifies me as a fan...

That's NT "logic" for ya.

Originally posted by Overkill:
Wow.

I think we're a .500 team (finishing somewhere between 7-9 and 9-7). Its pretty reasonable to predict our division record somewhere around 4-2, which leaves a non-divisional record of somewhere between 3-7 and 5-5.

But apparently asking for losing record options on this pole disqualifies me as a fan...

That's NT "logic" for ya.

Let's not be drama queens about this. I don't see anyone seriously suggesting that you are not a fan if you predict a losing record.
[ Edited by saj4423 on Jul 16, 2009 at 12:40 PM ]
... I don't think we've done anything this offseason that would greatly improve us...

Do we have to have a "greatly" improved roster to improve our record? The switch from Nolan to Singletary made this team better without a single coaching or roster change and since then we've made several good additions.

We've improved;
TE's with the addition of Pascoe
WR's with addition of Crabtree
RB's with addition of Coffee and Sheets
OL with the addition of Marvel Smith
QB's with subtraction of JTO and Martin, addition of Huard and the return of a healthy Alex Smith.

The only negative is the fact that we were unable to land the impact NT or Pass-rusher we've been lacking for so long.
Originally posted by SanFranAddic:
... I don't think we've done anything this offseason that would greatly improve us...

Do we have to have a "greatly" improved roster to improve our record? The switch from Nolan to Singletary made this team better without a single coaching or roster change and since then we've made several good additions.

We've improved;
TE's with the addition of Pascoe
WR's with addition of Crabtree
RB's with addition of Coffee and Sheets
OL with the addition of Marvel Smith
QB's with subtraction of JTO and Martin, addition of Huard and the return of a healthy Alex Smith.

The only negative is the fact that we were unable to land the impact NT or Pass-rusher we've been lacking for so long.

These all look like improvements to me.

Also, we added a free-agent receiver and the corps is deep and we brought back Frank Gore's favorite blocking back. We added Demetric Evens on the DL. I would also say that on the strength of Singletary's personality and skills, we have a shot at catching lightening with some undrafted free agents.
Originally posted by 49erRider:

No, they call the team the "Whiners" because its just a very weak play on words. No other reason. Every team has people who call themselves fans and have no faith in their team, it's not just this forum.

WORD!
Share 49ersWebzone