LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 398 users in the forums

Double Standard? Ray McDonald kicked off the team, Bruce Miller not even fined!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I'm sure Bruce will face consequences ...no need to jump the gun and say he got away scot free , he will have to eventually deal with this situation
Originally posted by Garlicboy:
I hate to bring it up negativity regarding my beloved 49ers, but am I the only one who feels that there is a double standard going on regarding disciplinary measures taken by the 49ers for players who have cases involving domestic violence and police involvement?

Ray McDonald was not charged w/any domestic violence with the many witnesses at the scene of his birthday party. Weeks later, he gets ACCUSED, not CHARGED, of rape and he gets kicked off the team. Reports say that it was consensual sex. The girl stayed the next day and had drinks and more sex, not exactly the actions of a girl who was raped.

Bruce Miller pushes and breaks a woman's phone (not sure if it's his wife or girlfriend), with WITNESSES who CONFIRMED what happened. Yet, he is not fined, suspended, nothing.

It's just shocking to me.

Their notoriety and popularity aboue the same. Both players are good, both not superstars, If anything Bruce Miller might be more popular because he plays offense and has scored some touchdowns. The media was all over Ray McDonald, but I haven't seen anybody hounding Bruce Miller. A free pass for Bruce Miller.

I hate to bring up race, but what's the deal!

Your thoughts...

Infusing race into this particular situation where it doesn't exist is pointless and will detract from situations where racism is actually genuinely occurring.

Ray McDonald has an established history of putting himself in bad situations, this is the first time its happened to Bruce Miller.

When its proven Miller did something, he will face the proper consequences. Race has nothing to do with it. Being an idiot is not exclusive to any particular ethnicity.
Originally posted by Dsoto87:
Originally posted by pd24:
Ray was cut after his second time. 1st time they let the case play out. The Miller case is still ongoing. End thread.

Seriously. This thread need not go any further than this. Ray was cut cause he repeatedly put himself in stupid situations. This is Bruce's first offense. Take a chill pill.

This....they are waiting for all the info, just like Ray's case.
Well, I guess we'll have to wait and see Miller's fate.

However, based on the facts Ray McDonald got a raw deal.

Perhaps not the 49ers, but the media's attention towards Miller and McDonald was very different. The newscaster's ambushed Ray McDonald as soon as he walked out of jail, yet HE was the one who got pushed by his wife.

However, to say that Race is not a factor is naive. Unfortunately racism exists and unfortunately always will.
hes a ginger, eater of souls. they fear Bruuuuuuce
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
This. Ray just couldnt keep his name out of the headlines for off the field stuff. If Bruce is found guilty or does something else dumb, then there will be one less ginger in Santa Clara.

I don't know if the "couldn't keep his name out of the headlines" is entirely fair. It doesn't matter if someone has had an infraction before, a player can't control if somebody makes a flat out false accusation.

It's not like the NFL or 49ers are pulling strings to help Ray, he got cut damn near right away... and he STILL wasn't indicted on charges, meaning that DA didn't think there was enough actual evidence that the crime even happened. Meaning they looked into it and it was bogus.

Probably the WORST thing Ray did out of this (which I'm only speculating), is that he might have cheated on his wife... which is not commendable in any way, but it is not illegal, against league rules... nor does anybody know the fully story of the whole relationship to even pass judgement.

I think men who beat women and rape women are the scum of the earth and should be punished to the full extent of the law... but it's TERRIBLE that society is such that all it takes is an ACCUSATION for someone to be deemed guilty in the court of public opinion and be branded for life as an outcast.
Originally posted by 49er-from-Yavin-IV:
Infusing race into this particular situation where it doesn't exist is pointless and will detract from situations where racism is actually genuinely occurring.

Ray McDonald has an established history of putting himself in bad situations, this is the first time its happened to Bruce Miller.

When its proven Miller did something, he will face the proper consequences. Race has nothing to do with it. Being an idiot is not exclusive to any particular ethnicity.

I agree.

There is no double standard at all with the race and law. Minorities overwhelm the prison and jail systems because they genetically have very poor character qualities towards than white people.

White players in the NFL just simply don't smoke weed, never drink and drive, and never act like a*****es off the field. That's why nobody knows about guys like Barrett Robbins or Richie Incognito until it's too late.

And yes, Ray McDonald definitely DOES have a history... of being accused of things that don't hold weight to DA's when the facts are gathered. Let's punish everyone who gets accused of anything.

^^Above is obviously sarcastic.

Some people don't seem to grasp that there is a sharp contrast between "ideals" and "reality". Ideally, race is no longer an issue, everyone is treated fairly by the law, and everyone in America realizes the ignorance of past racial intolerance. I WISH it was that way.

I'm not saying it does in THIS particular case, but race certainly does play a role. If you live somewhere where this is not a problem, count your blessings. There are certain parts of certain cities and towns in America where you might get shot at just for being black, white, Mexican, etc.

Perhaps not the 49ers, but the media's attention towards Miller and McDonald was very different. The newscaster's ambushed Ray McDonald as soon as he walked out of jail, yet HE was the one who got pushed by his wife.

However, to say that Race is not a factor is naive. Unfortunately racism exists and unfortunately always will.

Anybody that says racism doesn't exist any more is either blind or in denial.

It's just more cleverly disguised in this day and age, because racism is frowned on by the masses... but racism is not limited to just violent mob attacks towards a minority. It could be as extreme as KKK groups, or it could be as subtle as parents forbidding their daughters to date certain races, to just looking down on and having prejudices based strictly on race.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
We gave him a chance after his DUI, stuck by him when he was arrested due to a clerical error, stuck by him under immense pressure to bench him after the ray rice scandal, and he has another incident involving police and random bar hoes.

I say we gave him plenty of chances. Miller is looking at 7 games off the bat.

Again, McDonald had his chances and he is getting blaclballed cause he's an idiot.

Unless your profession involves driving, since when does a DUI disqualify you from employment.

And last I heard it was a free country. Guy could have 2 hoes a night, since when is that a crime? Wilt Chamberlain did it for more than a decade.

What was he GUILTY of that warranted getting kicked off the team?

It disqualifies you if you are in a businesss where public image is important.

Yeah its a free country. Your boss has the right to fire you if you make his company look bad which is written IN THEIR CONTRACT.

He was guilty of a DUI and he kept damaging the company image by making the news for police related events.
would love to bring Ray back! Can't see it happening though...

This is just silly. Ray couldn't have f'd up worse if he tried. Twice. TWICE!!!! He violated the NFLs personal conduct policy before the ink was even dry on brand spanking new rules that were incredibly highly publicized during a year when unbelievably high profile cases of this nature (Peterson, Rice, Hardy, etc..) were the biggest story in the NFL.

And the 49ers DID stand by him. The first time this happened, in spite of all the bad press, in spite of it being literally the EXACT ISSUE the NFL just literally hours before hand had said they were going to start coming down on as hard as possible, the Niners did NOT cut Ray or even suspend him with pay, but they let the process play out (to the ire of many critics), and supported McDonald while the facts were gathered and the legal system made it's decision.

Then, just when it finally seemed he made it past that issue, he couldn't so much as finish the season without being unable to keep his dick in his pants with a chick who was accusing him of RAPE. Not "just" low level "I shoved a woman" domestic abuse this time. Which as horrible as domestic abuse can be, is at the level where it can be explained and understood to some degree, but now it's an actual RAPE charge.

That's just too much man. At that point, particularly last season with everything going on in the NFL, there is no way ANY player on ANY team survives that with his job in tact. Doesn't matter if it ultimately turns out to be true or not. Too much smoke for there not to be some level of fire and too much bad press for anyone to want to deal with.

Whereas Miler is a FB that no one outside of Niner fans has ever heard of, who did something seemingly very minor, and it's his first infraction of any kind, and during the off season when no one is focused on it and there is little to no pressure from the media or the NFL front offices regarding the case. So naturally, especially with all our other focuses regarding player movement right now, we are letting it play out and will addresses as necessary once the case is resolved legally and/or if the NFL issues and punishment of their own.

Both the NFL and the 49ers have bigger fish to fry at the moments and can afford to let this play out. It has nothing to do with race. If Kendal Hunter or Bruce Ellington had done the same thing, it would have warranted the same reaction. Similarly, if Joe Staley or Vance McDonald had committed a high profile incident of spousal abuse, followed by a rape charge within a few months, they would have been cut too.

Nobody is saying that racism no longer exists.

However I am saying that I see absolutely no justification whatsoever for bringing racism into these two wildly disparate cases.
Part of me wants Ray back but even I gotta admit it's not the first time he was associated with stuff that sounded bad. It doesn't sound like he raped that woman, and Bruce might actually be guilty of what he's accused of, but at the same time there Is a pretty big difference between rape and breaking a phone.

Not to mention the fact that if Bruce is actually found guilty of something he prob will be suspended and/or cut as well.
And that, pretty much, is that. The thread can come back to life when we find out what is happening to Bruce.
Share 49ersWebzone