LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 270 users in the forums

2002 WildCard 49ers vs Giants

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Out of curiosity, how many sacks did the Niners get in that game?
I can't help but think that this win is somewhat diminished by the fact that we got destroyed the next week in Tampa.
I remember the game vividly! It was awesome. The giants lineman would NEVER have caught that pass even if the Niner (Okeafer, I think) missed him completely. The pass was waaay short and that 280+ lbs lineman would NOT have been able to stop, go back, and then catch the ball.

Mooch should not have been fired.
Originally posted by swim4speed:
I remember the game vividly! It was awesome. The giants lineman would NEVER have caught that pass even if the Niner (Okeafer, I think) missed him completely. The pass was waaay short and that 280+ lbs lineman would NOT have been able to stop, go back, and then catch the ball.

the game should have been over before that plummer had that int and they ruled it a drop
  • flow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by King49er:
We cheated and should never have won that game lol

We were damn lucky that day that the refs f**ked the call up at the end and the Giants didn't have a closer shot at the game winning FG.

But I think that game was one of the games that actually made me cry(tears of joy) when it was all said and done.

I actually cried (tears of joy) during that game, too.
  • flow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by swim4speed:

Either way, I think the Giants lineman was an ineligible receiver and could not have legally caught that pass.
[ Edited by Crazy4Niners on Jul 14, 2009 at 5:36 PM ]
Originally posted by NinerGold39:
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
I remember my buddy that I brought to that game jokingly turned to me at halftime and said "Well, you ready to go?" I laughed and said "Hell no, we're coming back."

Just call me StOnE-StRaDoMuS

I gave up,I wanted to leave, but my buddies wanted me to stay to watch my misery.

I'm glad I stayed

I gave up.Left my friends house to grab a bite to eat then came back. After turning on the TV late in the 4th, I was like . Then saw the bad snap made me go, the throw to the end zone, my reaction to the PI....then non-call.

Didn't the Giants have an illegal man downfield?
Originally posted by phatbutskinny:
Originally posted by quatic:

We were damn lucky that day that the refs f**ked the call up at the end and the Giants didn't have a closer shot at the game winning FG.

But I think that game was one of the games that actually made me cry(tears of joy) when it was all said and done.

how did we cheat?...

the calls were up to the refs and the dice rolled in our favor!

fo reals. i hate in sports when people say a team cheated cuz the ref f**ked up. MAKES NO DAM SENSE. ppl call the lakers 'cheaters' for the series vs the kings, and all my friends called the niners cheaters after beating the giants. NO NO NO the refs f**ked up, nobody cheated

The difference between the Lakers and Niners is one of the refs came out and said they were calling in favor of the Lakers.
I was also at that game it was very stressfull the first half. Alot of fans where leaving early so we moved down to the 40 yard line and watched one of the greatest comebacks ever. I stiil think we where deflated after that win and thats why we got blown out against Tampa. The mooch had to go.
2 calls offset, game over... End of story....

Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by phatbutskinny:
Originally posted by quatic:

how did we cheat?...

the calls were up to the refs and the dice rolled in our favor!

fo reals. i hate in sports when people say a team cheated cuz the ref f**ked up. MAKES NO DAM SENSE. ppl call the lakers 'cheaters' for the series vs the kings, and all my friends called the niners cheaters after beating the giants. NO NO NO the refs f**ked up, nobody cheated

The difference between the Lakers and Niners is one of the refs came out and said they were calling in favor of the Lakers.

and apparently you don't understand NFL rules...
Originally posted by Apples:
I can't help but think that this win is somewhat diminished by the fact that we got destroyed the next week in Tampa.

I guess we could say the same thing out "The Catch II." Both games are still epic.
Not sure if anyone posted this but all apologies if so, I'm drunk off my ass. I live in central jersey and most of my friends are Giants fans (one distant friend a very casual niners fan). Anyhow, this game naturally had special meaning for me. Being 23, aside from "the catch 2" this is my second fave niners victory.just over four min left in the 3rd quartewr. Surreal. Walked into high school the next day with my TO jersey donned proudly.
Originally posted by Lott49ersFan:

Per NFL rules, the game cannot end on a defensive penalty. With the offsetting penalties, the letter of the law states that there should have been another offensive down given to the giants, even though time had expired.

The NFL stated the next day that this was the case and the crew botched the call.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Originally posted by Lott49ersFan:

Per NFL rules, the game cannot end on a defensive penalty. With the offsetting penalties, the letter of the law states that there should have been another offensive down given to the giants, even though time had expired.

The NFL stated the next day that this was the case and the crew botched the call.

Are you sure that even with offsetting calls the game can't end? I understood that rule to be if it were only a defensive penalty. In the case of this game, there was also the illegal man downfield against the offense.
Share 49ersWebzone