LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 242 users in the forums

Was our defense really 13th best @ the end of last year?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by danimal:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
So do any of you master prognosticators that already looked into the future and know how the offense will look wanna hook a brother up with the powerball numbers since you guys can see the future?

Speculation is just that,I do not understand how you guys can be so down on something you have yet to witness.You cannot let the looser mentality get a hold on your fanhood,Denolanize yourself and try to wrap your mind around the fact that the team is improved just from the standpoint that Nolan is gone.Just being held accountable for their jobs is gonna make the players play harder,if they don't you know Coach will put them on the bench with a quickness.Sure there are some unknowns but why automatically assume the worst?You have to have some faith that players we already had will improve,we do have a relatively young core of players.I mean who among you thought Haralson would lead the team in sacks?He improved last year,so why wouldn't he continue to this year?Not every player on your team has to be a superstar to make your team a winner,all they have to do is do their job and that is most of the battle.

you should explain this to Vegas. Really all games should be even money.

If I thought it would do any good,lol.
Originally posted by KasparHauser:
Originally posted by Joecool:
We were ranked 13 because we didn't give up a lot of yards. But then again, we didn't give up a lot of yards because JTO kept turning the ball over giving the opposing offense a short field to drive on. Having said that, we still held a lot of offenses to 3 points rather than a crap load of TDs.

Later in the year, our offense became more sound but our defense gave up more yards than normal only because the opposing offense had more yards to go. However, our defense gave up less points and played much better on 3rd downs later in the year.

You can't compare that Baltimore offense to ours. Ours turned the ball over whereas that Baltimore offense punted to force longer drives.

I consider our defense last year about a 20th ranked defense. Now if our freaking offense can cut the turnovers, then I think we can get as low as a 12th ranked defense.[/left]

If a defense ranked statistically 13th, why would you rank them 20th? Do you consider your ranking system more accurate? And then said that if the D can get turnovers they will go as low as 12? I'm a bit confused by your statements, defenses are ranked based on statistics, not individual opinions.

That being said, I hope the D this year will be very good - definitely in the top 10, perhaps top-5. I feel this way by the caliber of our players.

Justin Smith, Patrick Willis, Nate Clements, Michael Lewis are all top players, and while the pass rush has been lacking, that alone does not push a team into a top 5 position.

The defense is only ranked 13 in one stat, yards allowed. Almost every other stat, they are far below 13.
Originally posted by danimal:
So do any of you master prognosticators that already looked into the future and know how the offense will look wanna hook a brother up with the powerball numbers since you guys can see the future?

Speculation is just that,I do not understand how you guys can be so down on something you have yet to witness.You cannot let the looser mentality get a hold on your fanhood,Denolanize yourself and try to wrap your mind around the fact that the team is improved just from the standpoint that Nolan is gone.Just being held accountable for their jobs is gonna make the players play harder,if they don't you know Coach will put them on the bench with a quickness.Sure there are some unknowns but why automatically assume the worst?You have to have some faith that players we already had will improve,we do have a relatively young core of players.I mean who among you thought Haralson would lead the team in sacks?He improved last year,so why wouldn't he continue to this year?Not every player on your team has to be a superstar to make your team a winner,all they have to do is do their job and that is most of the battle.

you should explain this to Vegas. Really all games should be even money.

If I thought it would do any good,lol.

it would not work because Vegas employs some smart ass muthas to be odds makers before betting takes over the lines. And these smart people all agree that you can use past performance to forecast the future.

Singletary taking over for Nolan is probably a +0 to +2 in terms of overall upgrade...according to thinking men.

Singletary taking over for Nolan is probably a +9 to +12 in terms of overall upgrade...according to emotionally driven men.

thats why it would not do any good.
You can look at the numbers and take them for what they are for. In any case, nobody can deny that the Defense signicantly improved when Coach Sing took over. I hope they still improve as a unit and I'm crossing my fingers that RJF and KB make solid contributions.
[ Edited by BasharCali49 on Jul 8, 2009 at 12:36 PM ]
Originally posted by BasharCali49:
You can look at the numbers and take them for what they are for. In any case, nobody can denied that the Defense signicantly improved when Coach Sing took over. I hope they still improve as a unit and I'm crossing my fingers that RJF and KB make solid contributions.

+1

To add a little...I think those Nolan years sort of showed everyone here just how vital coaching stability really is.

I think you will see that spill over immediately next year.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
13th: 326.0 yards per game

20th: 321 points in 16 games
This stat is skewed by Nolan being the coach for the first half of the year. If you break down the first 8 games the average is near the bottom of the league(27ish). The average of the second 8 games is closer to 10ish.

20th: 30:47 minutes per game on field
This stat is about 80% on Mike Martz. The 49ers offense was near the bottom of the league in turnovers. The defense is still responsible for creating turnovers and forcing 3 and outs so I would say 20% on them.

12th: 18.3 first downs a game

27th: 1,027 plays from scrimmage
This stat shows how often the 49ers defense was on the field(mostly due to turnovers/Martz)

11th: 5.1 yards per play
The defense may have had 1,027 plays ran against them, but they are still 11th in yards per play. That is pretty good with how often they were on the field.

The stats that are controlled mostly by the defense the team ranks 13th, 20th, 12th, and 11th.

The stats effected by the offense and it's turnovers would be minutes per game on the field and plays from scrimmage which the team ranks 20th and 27th.
Share 49ersWebzone