LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 288 users in the forums

Kentwan Balmer: You Better Get Your S**t Together!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I also so a little of RJF in college. He might surprise some people around here. I get a little tired of saying this, but he has great potential.
I'm excited about KB this season. I hope he can step it up in '09. He could make our defense even better!
  • WestCoastNut
  • Info N/A
The competition in training camp should help KB step up.
I hope that all of our coaches who have been raving about his improvement are right cause that would help elevate our defense.
Originally posted by reasonable1:
Originally posted by AKfanster:
OK Reasonable,

First, it's Olshansky...... NOT "olansky"

And if you think Balmer will play anywhere near his level this season, you are a bigger idiot than I thought. Balmer played how many snaps last season on D? Not very many, but yet, you claim he held up blockers and got good penetration! Ya, I guess he did.........on special teams. The guy on our team who DID play close to Igor's level was Soap, but nobody really noticed. I guess it's easy to look down on anybody who is replacing a NINER star (BY).

I don't understand why people are so high on this guy. He was a 1 year wonder in college that really never did much before his last season. The biggest knock on him was that he plays too high at the point of impact.
What little I saw of him last season I wasn't impressed. However, I didn' think the kid was garbage either. He needs alot of work, but he could turn out to be an avg to good player. I was pleased when I heard he has been working out with Justin Smith. He has good size for a 3-4 end and if he develops a good work ethic he will do well. With that said, Balmer isn't even close to Olshansky, Canty, Warren, or Keisel (underrated IMO).

You started off by calling everyone else on the board idiots. Way to make yourself a target.

First off I can see you do not even bother to read. Let me breakdown everything wrong with your post.

#1. I did NOT call EVERYONE idiots. The ones whom I did use that language toward are the ones who think players in the mold of a guy like Freeney are the answers to this teams need at defensive end. Which they have absolutely NO IDEA that a guy like Freeney would never play DE in a 3-4...but since they just would look at positions and not players they wouldnt know the difference.

#2. I didnt even spell or misspell Olshansky's name, I simply quoted another poster who happened to spell his name wrong. BIG FREAKIN DEAL if he spelled it wrong...I referred to him as Igor.

#3. I did not say he would match the player Olshansky is this season...I said that Olshansky was the player that came to mind when I thought about Balmer's potential. POTENTIAL!! Which would be a fair comparison considering they are similar in size, strength and that they BOTH played DT in college and were converted to DE in the NFL.

#4. I distinctly pointed out that Balmer did not get much playing time at the beginning of the season and that in his limited work toward the end of last season he did very well in learning the details of his responsibility at DE i.e. occupying blockers, stopping his running lanes and getting decent penetration...all of which he did a DECENT job at in his VERY LIMITED TIME. If you happened to read(which obviously you didnt) I also pointed out at how his learning curve was steeper not just because of his position change but the fact that he was a ROOKIE defensive lineman.

#5. Who in the hell would think Balmer would automatically replace BY?? Balmer and BY are 2 different types of defensive lineman. BY was the type who could play anywhere alone the line because of his rare combo of size and speed along with excellent technique. Balmer is more of a mauler who occupies blockers and stuffs the run while getting mild penetration to the QB.

#6. Like I said in the previous post...if you are going to quote me...KNOW WHAT THE HELL YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT.

Now for everyone else who was offended by my "idiot" referral. They seemed to understand whom I was referring to and accepted the apology I offered. YOU seem to be EXACTLY who I was referring to when I used that word.

You read nothing yet have an opinion on everything I have said.

GET IT RIGHT before you quote me...

Owned
Originally posted by WINiner:
OK Reasonable,

And if you think Balmer will play anywhere near his level this season, you are a bigger idiot than I thought. Balmer played how many snaps last season on D? Not very many, but yet, you claim he held up blockers and got good penetration! Ya, I guess he did.........on special teams. The guy on our team who DID play close to Igor's level was Soap, but nobody really noticed. I guess it's easy to look down on anybody who is replacing a NINER star (BY).

I don't understand why people are so high on this guy. He was a 1 year wonder in college that really never did much before his last season. The biggest knock on him was that he plays too high at the point of impact.
What little I saw of him last season I wasn't impressed. However, I didn' think the kid was garbage either. He needs alot of work, but he could turn out to be an avg to good player. I was pleased when I heard he has been working out with Justin Smith. He has good size for a 3-4 end and if he develops a good work ethic he will do well. With that said, Balmer isn't even close to Olshansky, Canty, Warren, or Keisel (underrated IMO).

You started off by calling everyone else on the board idiots. Way to make yourself a target.

First off I can see you do not even bother to read. Let me breakdown everything wrong with your post.

#1. I did NOT call EVERYONE idiots. The ones whom I did use that language toward are the ones who think players in the mold of a guy like Freeney are the answers to this teams need at defensive end. Which they have absolutely NO IDEA that a guy like Freeney would never play DE in a 3-4...but since they just would look at positions and not players they wouldnt know the difference.

#2. I didnt even spell or misspell Olshansky's name, I simply quoted another poster who happened to spell his name wrong. BIG FREAKIN DEAL if he spelled it wrong...I referred to him as Igor.

#3. I did not say he would match the player Olshansky is this season...I said that Olshansky was the player that came to mind when I thought about Balmer's potential. POTENTIAL!! Which would be a fair comparison considering they are similar in size, strength and that they BOTH played DT in college and were converted to DE in the NFL.

#4. I distinctly pointed out that Balmer did not get much playing time at the beginning of the season and that in his limited work toward the end of last season he did very well in learning the details of his responsibility at DE i.e. occupying blockers, stopping his running lanes and getting decent penetration...all of which he did a DECENT job at in his VERY LIMITED TIME. If you happened to read(which obviously you didnt) I also pointed out at how his learning curve was steeper not just because of his position change but the fact that he was a ROOKIE defensive lineman.

#5. Who in the hell would think Balmer would automatically replace BY?? Balmer and BY are 2 different types of defensive lineman. BY was the type who could play anywhere alone the line because of his rare combo of size and speed along with excellent technique. Balmer is more of a mauler who occupies blockers and stuffs the run while getting mild penetration to the QB.

#6. Like I said in the previous post...if you are going to quote me...KNOW WHAT THE HELL YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT.

Now for everyone else who was offended by my "idiot" referral. They seemed to understand whom I was referring to and accepted the apology I offered. YOU seem to be EXACTLY who I was referring to when I used that word.

#7 Owned

fixed
OK Reasonable,

1) Nobody has been talking about Freeny besides you. Then you labeled the Zone posters idiots. You are new here, no? You'll read alot of stuff that you don't agree with, which is part of the fun. Example: Our current exchange.

2) You did spell it wrong, or the quote got messed up in your post, thus looking like you typed it. For someone coming off like you did, I had to mention the obvious mistake. Was it a weak attempt to bring you down a notch? You bet! I'm no spelling bee champ myself, but I just couldn't stop myself.

3) You said he has "Oshanksy" potential in a thread that claims Balmer would have a big year. Hmmm........ I guess you think he'll play nothing like the guy then. My bad. Can't imagine where I'd get that notion from.

4) He did a decent job..............for a 2nd day draft pick, Not for the 1st round pick he was. I still hope he pans out, but the guy isn't going to do much anytime soon.
You did point out he didn't get much time and yet, you're able to see all the progress he made throughout the season. You must be one of these guys that has "game film". Otherwise, you couldn't tell jack squat from the handful of plays he made on D.

5) OK. This is where you should take your own advice. Get it right before you quote.....well you know cause you said it. But you say it all tough and scary!
I never said anything about Balmer replacing BY. I was talking about Soap, you know, the guy that actually did play last season! And for the record, at the end of BY's career he was just what you claim Balmer is/or is going to be. A run stuffer that got mild penetration. Wait a sec, earlier Balmer got "good" penetration, now it's just "mild" penetration. Either way, you say penetration alot.

6) Like I said before, if you are going to name call, better be ready to get it right back. Ok babygirl????
[ Edited by AKfanster on Jul 12, 2009 at 8:47 PM ]
  • Tman
  • Veteran
OK Reasonable,

1) Nobody has been talking about Freeny besides you. Then you labeled the Zone posters idiots. You are new here, no? You'll read alot of stuff that you don't agree with, which is part of the fun. Example: Our current exchange.

2) You did spell it wrong, or the quote got messed up in your post, thus looking like you typed it. For someone coming off like you did, I had to mention the obvious mistake. Was it a weak attempt to bring you down a notch? You bet! I'm no spelling bee champ myself, but I just couldn't stop myself.

3) You said he has "Oshanksy" potential in a thread that claims Balmer would have a big year. Hmmm........ I guess you think he'll play nothing like the guy then. My bad. Can't imagine where I'd get that notion from.

4) He did a decent job..............for a 2nd day draft pick, Not for the 1st round pick he was. I still hope he pans out, but the guy isn't going to do much anytime soon.
You did point out he didn't get much time and yet, you're able to see all the progress he made throughout the season. You must be one of these guys that has "game film". Otherwise, you couldn't tell jack squat from the handful of plays he made on D.

5) OK. This is where you should take your own advice. Get it right before you quote.....well you know cause you said it. But you say it all tough and scary!
I never said anything about Balmer replacing BY. I was talking about Soap, you know, the guy that actually did play last season! And for the record, at the end of BY's career he was just what you claim Balmer is/or is going to be. A run stuffer that got mild penetration. Wait a sec, earlier Balmer got "good" penetration, now it's just "mild" penetration. Either way, you say penetration alot.

6) Like I said before, if you are going to name call, better be ready to get it right back. Ok babygirl????

Carefull the unreasonable1 is a minor league football coach..... i mean semi pro, or amatuer league, summer league? over 40 league? somethin like that. He probably has forgoten more football then we will ever know.

and thats ok

just joshin you dude

Originally posted by Tman:
OK Reasonable,

Carefull the unreasonable1 is a minor league football coach..... i mean semi pro, or amatuer league, summer league? over 40 league? somethin like that. He probably has forgoten more football then we will ever know.

and thats ok

just joshin you dude

LOL...nah I dont claim to know a lot. But I think I am fair in what I assess. I just dont like it when people #1 dont read and #2 doesnt even know the difference between an hypothetical example and a direct reference.

Not that it matters...just reading his response showed me that you cant continue driving down a dead end street and expect the road to have an outlet of reason somewhere.

Its just funny reading posts where totally uninformed people get on here trying to make themselves sound intelligent and forward thinking when their judgment and opinion is clouded by anger towards a losing situation for the past 5 seasons...its ok...it'll pass once the 49ers make it back to the postseason.

I wish I did forget that much football...LOL. I'd be working at the NFL network by now...

Jamie Dukes watch out!!!
[ Edited by reasonable1 on Jul 12, 2009 at 10:57 PM ]
Originally posted by Tman:
OK Reasonable,

and thats ok

just joshin you dude

LOL...nah I dont claim to know a lot. But I think I am fair in what I assess. I just dont like it when people #1 dont read and #2 doesnt even know the difference between an hypothetical example and a direct reference.

Not that it matters...just reading his response showed me that you cant continue driving down a dead end street and expect the road to have an outlet of reason somewhere.

Its just funny reading posts where totally uninformed people get on here trying to make themselves sound intelligent and forward thinking when their judgment and opinion is clouded by anger towards a losing situation for the past 5 seasons...its ok...it'll pass once the 49ers make it back to the postseason.

I wish I did forget that much football...LOL. I'd be working at the NFL network by now...

Jamie Dukes watch out!!!

Damn dude I am with you on that. You made my day with that post. Thats NinerTalk at its best. There are so many uneducated people on this board when it comes to football talking out their ass thinking they know everything. I just like to sit back and laugh sometimes but there are times I tend to rip in to them. I got a whole NFL Encyclopedia of nothing but NFL videos, books, and facts collected since I was 7. I have always been drawn to football since then and just sat there and took in alot in the game. I have been called the NFL version of Rain Man lol.

OK Reasonable,

Don't try and save yourself now, he already owned your ass.
Originally posted by PTulini:
I think he'll be a really tough, stout DE that we have not had in this defense and is something that is vital to a 3-4. You kind of saw it at the end of last year when he was in. He was occupying his share of blockers while still getting halfway decent penetration. You didnt really expect a whole lot in reality because not only was he a rookie but he also switched positions and that is not a real good combination for any rookie let alone a defensive lineman.

I went back and tried to watch some UNC games when he was in school...I will say...you didnt hear his name called all the time...but you damn sure saw that #90 around the play in some fashion, especially in the backfield.

Not to take away from Balmer at all, but I am really jazzed about Jean-Francois as well...he was a Warren Sapp look alike when he was on the field and healthy in college...

He has a really quick twitch off the snap as well!

Do you guys think Ricky-Jean Francois has a shot to make the roster?
Sure... he has a shot, but it's a pretty low % one, I'd think. He would have to impress the heck out of Manusky/Sing/Tomsula, and/or have RayMac going to the PUP or I.R. list.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Sure... he has a shot, but it's a pretty low % one, I'd think. He would have to impress the heck out of Manusky/Sing/Tomsula, and/or have RayMac going to the PUP or I.R. list.

I think the second part may actually happen!
[ Edited by PTulini on Jul 13, 2009 at 1:56 PM ]
  • Blitz
  • Veteran
The Embalmer rises in 09'.

I hope so, that would be sweet...getting one more player on the line to play at the level J Smith does, to complement Smith's need for constant attention by our opponents, would be A HUGE leap forward for our entire defense. It would almost be a two for one deal....by adding that other player on the line who demands constant attention from our opponents, you gain him and at the same time you likely cause Smith's already decent play to go WAY up into another level.

Share 49ersWebzone