LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 286 users in the forums

Kentwan Balmer: You Better Get Your S**t Together!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Balmer definitely needs to step up to the plate this year since was drafted so high. I'm curious about Ricky Jean Francois. After watching those highlight vids of his, he looks more like a 1st round pick than a 7th rounder. He has the build of a premier NFL Defensive lineman and he sure knows how to collapse the pocket. Why was RJF available in the 7th round?
Originally posted by BasharCali49:
Balmer definitely needs to step up to the plate this year since was drafted so high. I'm curious about Ricky Jean Francois. After watching those highlight vids of his, he looks more like a 1st round pick than a 7th rounder. He has the build of a premier NFL Defensive lineman and he sure knows how to collapse the pocket. Why was RJF available in the 7th round?

Before last season, some "experts" did have RJF rated as a 1st Round pick. I believe it was due to a combination of injuries and off the field issues.
Originally posted by PTulini:
Originally posted by reasonable1:
I think he'll be a really tough, stout DE that we have not had in this defense and is something that is vital to a 3-4. You kind of saw it at the end of last year when he was in. He was occupying his share of blockers while still getting halfway decent penetration. You didnt really expect a whole lot in reality because not only was he a rookie but he also switched positions and that is not a real good combination for any rookie let alone a defensive lineman.

I went back and tried to watch some UNC games when he was in school...I will say...you didnt hear his name called all the time...but you damn sure saw that #90 around the play in some fashion, especially in the backfield.

Not to take away from Balmer at all, but I am really jazzed about Jean-Francois as well...he was a Warren Sapp look alike when he was on the field and healthy in college...

He has a really quick twitch off the snap as well!

Wow, imagine if we had Ray McDonald and RJF on the line at the same time! They'd be in the backfield before the QB was out of his drop, heh.
Originally posted by King49er:
Originally posted by KRS-1:
I think he'll be a really tough, stout DE that we have not had in this defense and is something that is vital to a 3-4. You kind of saw it at the end of last year when he was in. He was occupying his share of blockers while still getting halfway decent penetration. You didnt really expect a whole lot in reality because not only was he a rookie but he also switched positions and that is not a real good combination for any rookie let alone a defensive lineman.

I went back and tried to watch some UNC games when he was in school...I will say...you didnt hear his name called all the time...but you damn sure saw that #90 around the play in some fashion, especially in the backfield.

Not to take away from Balmer at all, but I am really jazzed about Jean-Francois as well...he was a Warren Sapp look alike when he was on the field and healthy in college...

We don't want RJF to be Warren Sapp part 2. Warren was a true 3 technique, an awesome penetrator but a not so great 5 technique. He was not a good fit for a 3-4 D.

Hopefully RJF can improve his technique and consistency so that he can be used inside on nickel downs. Like Balmer he may need time to develop, but he showed a good first step and ability to penetrate in college.

I never said I wanted him to be Warren Sapp...

I said he was a look alike when on the field. As in, having the quick burst off the line, the playmaking ability in the backfield, the strength to shake double teams and the ability to chase plays down the line of scrimmage. Which is vital to a 3-4 DE.

I know Sapp was a 3-tech...and never made the comparison as if he would be playing a 3-tech for us...it was a simple comparison to a player of his size and speed.

I'm not one of these idiots on here that think along the lines that a Dwight Freeney type player is the answer to our pass rush problems at DE...

One of these idiots? I can see you're gonna last long posting here....

You know exactly who I am referring to...

Those yahooes that dont know the difference between a 3-4 and a 4-3. The ones that think DE's are the primary sack producers within the 3-4 defense. The ones that think OLB's are cover men in the 3-4. The ones that dont understand what a one-gap penetrator or two-gap run stuffer is. They just think they know it because they listen/watch ESPN all day.
Originally posted by King49er:
Originally posted by KRS-1:

We don't want RJF to be Warren Sapp part 2. Warren was a true 3 technique, an awesome penetrator but a not so great 5 technique. He was not a good fit for a 3-4 D.

Hopefully RJF can improve his technique and consistency so that he can be used inside on nickel downs. Like Balmer he may need time to develop, but he showed a good first step and ability to penetrate in college.

I never said I wanted him to be Warren Sapp...

I said he was a look alike when on the field. As in, having the quick burst off the line, the playmaking ability in the backfield, the strength to shake double teams and the ability to chase plays down the line of scrimmage. Which is vital to a 3-4 DE.

I know Sapp was a 3-tech...and never made the comparison as if he would be playing a 3-tech for us...it was a simple comparison to a player of his size and speed.

I'm not one of these idiots on here that think along the lines that a Dwight Freeney type player is the answer to our pass rush problems at DE...

One of these idiots? I can see you're gonna last long posting here....

You know exactly who I am referring to...

Those yahooes that dont know the difference between a 3-4 and a 4-3. The ones that think DE's are the primary sack producers within the 3-4 defense. The ones that think OLB's are cover men in the 3-4. The ones that dont understand what a one-gap penetrator or two-gap run stuffer is. They just think they know it because they listen/watch ESPN all day.

which is fine, but you don't have to refer to people as "idiots on here", not a great choice of words..whether you think they are idiots or not...
Wow...I was told people are soft on here...but man if the shoe fits...

I do apologize if I hurt anyone's feelings...
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
I hope he shows some improvement this year.
I have faith that KB will develop into a good player. He is our future. With KB and Ricky-Jean Francois, our D-line could be in really good shape!
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PTulini:
I have faith that KB will develop into a good player. He is our future. With KB and Ricky-Jean Francois, our D-line could be in really good shape!

Let's hope they can contribute. Can't have Justin smith do everything this year again
Reasonable1

No, of course not. You're just the idot that thinks Balmer is...., " a really tough, stout DE that we have not had in this defense and is something that is vital to a 3-4. You kind of saw it at the end of last year when he was in. He was occupying his share of blockers while still getting halfway decent penetration. You didnt really expect a whole lot in reality because not only was he a rookie but he also switched positions and that is not a real good combination for any rookie let alone a defensive lineman."
[ Edited by AKfanster on Jul 7, 2009 at 11:12 PM ]

Originally posted by AKfanster:
Reasonable1

No, of course not. You're just the idot that thinks Balmer is...., " a really tough, stout DE that we have not had in this defense and is something that is vital to a 3-4. You kind of saw it at the end of last year when he was in. He was occupying his share of blockers while still getting halfway decent penetration. You didnt really expect a whole lot in reality because not only was he a rookie but he also switched positions and that is not a real good combination for any rookie let alone a defensive lineman."

Sounds like your a wise man lol! Yeah changing positions, and being a rook definately has its learning curve i'd say. Hopefully this yr he gets across that hurdle and is able to make a bigger impact.
Hopefully this is his yr. I'd like to see em play like igor olansky's production for the chargers if not better!
Imo
i think balmer sucks, hopefully i'm wrong
Originally posted by frankie:
Reasonable1

Sounds like your a wise man lol! Yeah changing positions, and being a rook definately has its learning curve i'd say. Hopefully this yr he gets across that hurdle and is able to make a bigger impact.
Hopefully this is his yr. I'd like to see em play like igor olansky's production for the chargers if not better!
Imo
This is exactly who I had in mind when I was watching his progression...similar size and strength and both played DT in college. If you remember Igor did not have a very good rookie season, as a matter of fact he did not play very much at all except toward the end of the season, much like Balmer. But boy has he been a force ever since.

The quote before is exactly the type of poster I was referring to. Someone who gets on here and takes up space by quoting something that they know nothing about. Maybe I did use the wrong choice of words but the proof of my wording was made by his/her response.

In a 3-4 you DO NEED a tough, stout DE on BOTH SIDES, but especially on the left side. If no other reason than about 60-70% of teams actually run more to the right than the left with a few exceptions(Seattle, Minnesota, Baltimore and NY Jets as examples). To be exact...most teams who run a 3-4 in the NFL have converted college defensive tackles playing the 5-tech in their respective schemes. It's easier to teach a 0-3 tech the 5 tech position because the responsibility is somewhat the same but the 5 tech has to have a different approach. Which is why you see all these converted DT's struggling out of the gate but coming on late and having superb 2nd seasons. And it does not help that regardless of defensive scheme, defensive lineman have the hardest time adjusting to the NFL. You can get away with brute strength and speed in college but the NFL lineman are far more advanced technique wise and it takes about a year to fully adjust. Case in point: Mario Williams.

Before you quote me, understand what the topic entails and why someone is evaluted the way they are @ AKfanster.
Originally posted by frankie:
Reasonable1

Imo

This is exactly who I had in mind when I was watching his progression...similar size and strength and both played DT in college. If you remember Igor did not have a very good rookie season, as a matter of fact he did not play very much at all except toward the end of the season, much like Balmer. But boy has he been a force ever since.

The quote before is exactly the type of poster I was referring to. Someone who gets on here and takes up space by quoting something that they know nothing about. Maybe I did use the wrong choice of words but the proof of my wording was made by his/her response.

In a 3-4 you DO NEED a tough, stout DE on BOTH SIDES, but especially on the left side. If no other reason than about 60-70% of teams actually run more to the right than the left with a few exceptions(Seattle, Minnesota, Baltimore and NY Jets as examples). To be exact...most teams who run a 3-4 in the NFL have converted college defensive tackles playing the 5-tech in their respective schemes. It's easier to teach a 0-3 tech the 5 tech position because the responsibility is somewhat the same but the 5 tech has to have a different approach. Which is why you see all these converted DT's struggling out of the gate but coming on late and having superb 2nd seasons. And it does not help that regardless of defensive scheme, defensive lineman have the hardest time adjusting to the NFL. You can get away with brute strength and speed in college but the NFL lineman are far more advanced technique wise and it takes about a year to fully adjust. Case in point: Mario Williams.

Before you quote me, understand what the topic entails and why someone is evaluted the way they are @ AKfanster.

Ha ha I never quoted ya man!
Igor olansky is a beast of a de, I'd like to see balmer be to his level and or surpass it! He has the tools to do just so
ha...not you I was referring to the poster before you
Share 49ersWebzone