LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 289 users in the forums

O-Line Coach Chris Foerster... Is He the Missing Piece of the Puzzle?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by BrodieFan:
Originally posted by reasonable1:
BTW...for all those Raye bashers/Matrz supporters...

Has Mike Martz even found a job yet??

I agree that that is relevant, but to defend Martz for a moment, it's too late in the off season for Martz. He needs a team commitment with the right personnel to make his system work. I don't particularly think his system works as well as it used to and I think NFL organizations are put off by the fact that his system puts the QB at too much risk, but anyone who is going to get Martz is going to have to think of it as a project that they buy into.

Raye makes a lot more sense to me. This team looks a lot more like a Norv Turner team than a Mike Martz team.

He was fired right at the end of the season wasn't he?I do not think he will work again in the NFL until a team gets as desperate as we were under Nolan.Martz's system has been figured out by the DC's around the league,a good pass rush will make that offense collapse.That coupled with the fact that Martz is stubborn about changing it up will keep him from having a job in the NFL...maybe the UFL or whatever that new league will have a job for him.The fact remains though that he is a has been in the NFL,if he were seen as the genius that some here try to make him out as,he would still be employed somewhere in the NFL.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by reasonable1:
BTW...for all those Raye bashers/Matrz supporters...

Has Mike Martz even found a job yet??

I agree that that is relevant, but to defend Martz for a moment, it's too late in the off season for Martz. He needs a team commitment with the right personnel to make his system work. I don't particularly think his system works as well as it used to and I think NFL organizations are put off by the fact that his system puts the QB at too much risk, but anyone who is going to get Martz is going to have to think of it as a project that they buy into.

Raye makes a lot more sense to me. This team looks a lot more like a Norv Turner team than a Mike Martz team.

He was fired right at the end of the season wasn't he?I do not think he will work again in the NFL until a team gets as desperate as we were under Nolan.Martz's system has been figured out by the DC's around the league,a good pass rush will make that offense collapse.That coupled with the fact that Martz is stubborn about changing it up will keep him from having a job in the NFL...maybe the UFL or whatever that new league will have a job for him.The fact remains though that he is a has been in the NFL,if he were seen as the genius that some here try to make him out as,he would still be employed somewhere in the NFL.

Yeah i also don't think that the players appreciate Martz's method of teaching.

His system is done. It needs the right players, is too complex and requires way too much patience -- not to mention that opposing defenses have adjusted.

As BrodieFan mentioned, if you want Martz, you're gonna have to be committed for at least 3 years.

-9fA
Warner, Faulk, Holt, Bruce, that is the reason Martz was successful. He has done nothing without all pros like this group. The talent he had out weighed the mistakes he made.
Don't get me wrong. I'm glad they've got Raye and I agree to a certain extent that defenses have figured out the Martz system. This happens to every new offensive and defensive system. I read that Bill Walsh was upset during the late 90's once when he visited a practice and noticed that Marriucci was running some of the WCO plays exactly as he had written them up.

And, I also agree that appears that the players like Raye a lot more. Like I said before, I like this coaching staff. I'll be surprised if we don't see a much better team this year.
Don't get me wrong. I'm glad they've got Raye and I agree to a certain extent that defenses have figured out the Martz system. This happens to every new offensive and defensive system. I read that Bill Walsh was upset during the late 90's once when he visited a practice and noticed that Marriucci was running some of the WCO plays exactly as he had written them up.

And, I also agree that appears that the players like Raye a lot more. Like I said before, I like this coaching staff. I'll be surprised if we don't see a much better team this year.

You've read a great deal about Coach Walsh, it appears. Is there one book you'd recommend over any others?
Originally posted by oldninerdude:

You've read a great deal about Coach Walsh, it appears. Is there one book you'd recommend over any others?

You know, it's mainly gobbling up every article about him and interview with him I could, but I did read his book, "Building a Champion" that he wrote with I think Glenn Dickey. That's got a lot of great stuff in it.
Originally posted by oldninerdude:

You know, it's mainly gobbling up every article about him and interview with him I could, but I did read his book, "Building a Champion" that he wrote with I think Glenn Dickey. That's got a lot of great stuff in it.

That's one I haven't read--yet. Its now on my list. Thanks.
You know I just looked for my copy and can't find it - I think I let someone read it years ago - so I went to Amazon and it turns out there are paperback versions of it available for as little as four bucks. I might grab another one.
Share 49ersWebzone