There are 178 users in the forums

Frank Gore is 8th Best RB

Shop Find 49ers gear online
As much as I like Davis, you guys are pretty much spot on. Yes, a top-10 pick must make plays. He's got to be a perennial pro-bowler to merit that high draft pick. I just think that in the right system and given the right coaching, Vernon Davis can get there.

I know I sound like a broken record, but I still can't get over that very first game. When he grabbed that little crossing route and beat the entire Cards secondary to the endzone, I fell out of my chair and said "we've got a winner!" Obviously, I've been disappointed but Jimmy Raye gives me hope.
I say Frank Gore is 7th Best RB. Can you guys make a new thread discussing my opinion?
Originally posted by BrodieFan:
As much as I like Davis, you guys are pretty much spot on. Yes, a top-10 pick must make plays. He's got to be a perennial pro-bowler to merit that high draft pick. I just think that in the right system and given the right coaching, Vernon Davis can get there.

I know I sound like a broken record, but I still can't get over that very first game. When he grabbed that little crossing route and beat the entire Cards secondary to the endzone, I fell out of my chair and said "we've got a winner!" Obviously, I've been disappointed but Jimmy Raye gives me hope.

Same here. I thought that we had grabbed that dynamic player that we needed for our offense.

-9fA
  • krizay
  • Veteran

The whole defense was flowing to he opposite side of the field on that play. All running away from him. That play was a perfect design. Most TE's could have gotten the ball to the 5 on that play. That's how easy of a play that was. Not trying to take away from the fact that he didn't just settle for the 5 yard line and took it all the way in. But he really didn't make that play. The OC made that play.

I know what's coming next!
Originally posted by krizay:

The whole defense was flowing to he opposite side of the field on that play. All running away from him. That play was a perfect design. Most TE's could have gotten the ball to the 5 on that play. That's how easy of a play that was. Not trying to take away from the fact that he didn't just settle for the 5 yard line and took it all the way in. But he really didn't make that play. The OC made that play.

Well you are about half right there,he made the play that the OC called work,so it was a joint effort.You cannot take that play away from him just cause you do not like him.If only Raye can use him like that,I think he would be much more effective.
Originally posted by 49erWill:
Madden ratings

Yup I have to continue to stomp people in madden with a very low ranked niner squad once again ha ha. This is the yr
I know Mark Roman slipped but a 55, thats even low for him.
Originally posted by jones49:

Wow 55 that is seriously low. I wonder what his catch is 1 maybe 1.5? He aint that good but 55? Well nate clements is rated 85 it says in this tread, so I suppose their whole new rating system is bringing a lot of players down
Originally posted by frankie:

Wow 55 that is seriously low. I wonder what his catch is 1 maybe 1.5? He aint that good but 55? Well nate clements is rated 85 it says in this tread, so I suppose their whole new rating system is bringing a lot of players down

No wonder Roman could not find another starting job.

Wow, I just don't agree with that. As I recall, he turned the corner on one or two DB's that took a wrong angle on him and just motored down the left sideline. Nobody could catch him. But I understand. He's got to do things like that all the time. I'd be interested to know if there is a number? How many "perfectly designed" plays would Davis have to take to the endzone this year for someone who doesn't like him to agree that they're glad he's on the team? How many would it take for his detractors to finally agree that he was worth the top-10 pick? It's a legitimate question. If you believe it was wrong to pick him at six, what would it take to make you change your mind?

Originally posted by Apples:
Originally posted by footballfreak49:
http://sports.espn.go.com/videogames/news/story?id=4206757

According to the folks at EA, Frank Gore is the 8th best back in the league.

Note: Vernon Davis is not ranked in the top 10 TEs and Patrick Willis is the 5th best defensive player (best LB).

Screw EA. They're haters. They know nothing about football. especially our 9ers. Vernon Davis was the 3rd alternate for the NFC pro bowl team. He ran a 4.38 fastest TE in the league. Best blocking TE to ever lace em up. How can he not be in the top 10.

Freakin' haters!

Oh dear God, I hope you're joking. Let's revisit that comment:

Best blocking TE to ever lace em up.

Vernon Davis is: Best blocking TE to ever lace em up. ... according to you of course.

He's a decent blocker who can run fast, and can't catch. That's why he's not top 10.

I could not agree with Apples more. There is so much hype around VD it's starting to make me sick. J.J. Stokes was a bigger receiving threat.
Originally posted by fister30:
Originally posted by frankie:

No wonder Roman could not find another starting job.

Yeah he hasn't been much of a game changer! He has just been there...............
  • krizay
  • Veteran

Wow, I just don't agree with that. As I recall, he turned the corner on one or two DB's that took a wrong angle on him and just motored down the left sideline. Nobody could catch him. But I understand. He's got to do things like that all the time. I'd be interested to know if there is a number? How many "perfectly designed" plays would Davis have to take to the endzone this year for someone who doesn't like him to agree that they're glad he's on the team? How many would it take for his detractors to finally agree that he was worth the top-10 pick? It's a legitimate question. If you believe it was wrong to pick him at six, what would it take to make you change your mind?

It will take alot more than plays like that one when there was literally no one around him. BECAUSE OF THE PLAY DESIGN!
Originally posted by bigmike55:
http://madden.easportsfans.com/?page_id=251

Alex Smith is rated 67

isnt shaun hill a 69? those are our 2 starting options. im going laugh when smith never gets his chance here, gets cut and signed elsewhere, and turns into a solid NFL QB. everyone will then say "wow Alex Smith is actually pretty good, why did the 49ers give up on him after he never had a real shot?" and Smith will tell everyone how we mismanage QB development.
It doesn't matter what a guy is rated skill wise. It only matters how much he is motivated on the field in real life. Motivation is all that matters and motivation doesn't translate well into a freaking video game.
Share 49ersWebzone