LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 220 users in the forums

Who is the Most Underrated 49er?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
One thing about the article that bothers me: Lynch seems to think it a great thing that Aubrayo has 77 tackles...yet he also talks about how Franklin will make a lot of plays by redirecting the RB, but then not make the tackle. WTF? So basically Franklin's good because he can penetrate and make the tackle, but he's also good at grabbing space and letting the linebackers do their work? I don't care if you're Vince Wilfork, you can't do both at the same time; one of them calls for you to shoot in and risk overpursuit, the other calls for patience and holding your ground.

So which is it, Lynch? saying he's just good at both is unrealistic and probably false.
Originally posted by Louiecomelately:
One thing about the article that bothers me: Lynch seems to think it a great thing that Aubrayo has 77 tackles...yet he also talks about how Franklin will make a lot of plays by redirecting the RB, but then not make the tackle. WTF? So basically Franklin's good because he can penetrate and make the tackle, but he's also good at grabbing space and letting the linebackers do their work? I don't care if you're Vince Wilfork, you can't do both at the same time; one of them calls for you to shoot in and risk overpursuit, the other calls for patience and holding your ground.

So which is it, Lynch? saying he's just good at both is unrealistic and probably false.

The player doesn't have to "do both at the same time." On some plays, he penetrates and on others, he grabs space. That's not to hard to understand.
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by 49ersBest1:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Of course Spikes is going to say those things about Franklin. Gore better be giving Heitmann props for opening up holes too. If Franklin is doing his job, who is not doing their job on the d-line? Justin Smith seems to be pulling his weight. Hopefully the other DE spot can start putting some pressure on the opposing offense. Add on a possible surgence from Manny Lawson rushing the passer and things should start to look good. Pressure and sacks on the QB causes turnovers. Getting off the field on 3rd down never hurts either. Keep the defense fresh. Extend our own offensive drives with a run oriented offense which will wear down their defense. Win the game... Okay, I got a little off track. Sorry.

Dude the d line in the 3-4 we play doesn't pressure the qb primarily,they occupy the blockers so the bad ass linebackers we have can get after the ball.I mean come on now,read the article already,it is self explanatory.

I did read the article. Did you read what I posted? No matter what scheme you use the player must do their job. Like I said, a "bad ass linebacker" like Manny Lawson can get after the QB if the guys in front of him are doing their job. You contradicted yourself.

How did I contradict myself?Maybe your reading comprehension needs some brushing up on?Franklin is doing his job,if he weren't then I doubt that the players would have voted him the most underrated.If anyone is the weak spot on our defensive line I would cast my vote for Sopoaga.

I never said Franklin wasn't doing his job. I said "if Franklin is doing his job, who not". You told me to read the article. Yet you obviously didn't read or didn't understand it. You're right about Sopoaga. He is the VD of the Dline. All the attributes but can't get the technique down. Raw talent doesn't always translate.

Ummmmm Icebox is playing more End right now BECAUSE of Franklin. Not because he isn't decent. So how are you gonna front and say that he's the VD of the DLine? Speaking of whom, Duke has been held back because our $h|tty OLine doesn't stand up to even mediocre Defenses.

I like how people point out the few instances where a player doesn't perform to expectations as proof of their suckittude. Please find another 2 examples. Cause the one that you tried to base it off the performance on the Offensive side of the ball is ridiculous.

This is why people take cheap shots at 9er fans. Ignorant comments like that make us all look bad. I'm not saying they are top 5 or even 10 in their positions right now (or maybe never) but they do what is asked of them without complaint.

~Ceadder
Every year I'm optimistic that VD is gonna have a breakout season. I have his jersey and I really thought he'd be tearing it up by now. He was brought in to be our biggest receiving threat because at the time Gore was the only one. When people criticize him they speak of his inconsistency running routes and dropping balls. VD is a great blocker and arguably the best pass blocking TE in the league. Oh course there was high expectations of him. He was a TE selected in the 6th overall spot. A guy with WR speed and linebacker physique. He hasn't materialized into a real playmaker yet.

I know Sop was more of a project with raw talent so I'm sorry that I put him in the same category as VD. I see him as more of a backup with potential as starter.
Ceadder, you are throwing out comments of other's ignorance, yet stating things that are a bit ignorant yourself. Sopoaga was moved from NT to DE for 2 key reasons, and neither were directly related to Franklin. *reason 1* is that Sopoaga lacked the skills to be what was at the time a 2-gap NT. He is strong, but too slow to diagnose plays to maintain his gap responsibility. Also that he used poor hand placement for leverage. *reason 2* is that Manusky stated that Sopoaga had the quickest first step of our DL and decided that playing a lil further out at DE would benefit the team.

I do agree that the VD example was a poor one like you stated though.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Ceadder, you are throwing out comments of other's ignorance, yet stating things that are a bit ignorant yourself. Sopoaga was moved from NT to DE for 2 key reasons, and neither were directly related to Franklin. *reason 1* is that Sopoaga lacked the skills to be what was at the time a 2-gap NT. He is strong, but too slow to diagnose plays to maintain his gap responsibility. Also that he used poor hand placement for leverage. *reason 2* is that Manusky stated that Sopoaga had the quickest first step of our DL and decided that playing a lil further out at DE would benefit the team.

I don't know what the point is behind calling other people ignorant because of their opinion. Save the insults for people that actually know you. Sop and VD were drafted as raw physical talents at their position and were expected to do great things. They have both contributed to the team in their own way and deserve props. I still expect both to get better and tear it up but that hasn't been the case yet. This is a football forum. Don't be so dang sensitive!

I don't know what the point is behind calling other people ignorant because of their opinion. Save the insults for people that actually know you. Sop and VD were drafted as raw physical talents at their position and were expected to do great things. They have both contributed to the team in their own way and deserve props. I still expect both to get better and tear it up but that hasn't been the case yet. This is a football forum. Don't be so dang sensitive!
Wow... I'm a little surprised by this post. I think you completely misinterpreted my intention here.

Not saying anyone is stupid. Making ignorant statements is not the same as BEING ignorant.

As far as my statement goes I oversimplified things a bit but w/o AF as our NT it would be Icebox. Also the criticisms about Icebox are not far off, but it is my opinion that has been due to him not getting enough reps at the spot and having a crappy DL coach for the bulk of his career with us. Since Tomsula came aboard I think that Icebox's technique and style has improved.

Sorry if I was short with anyone I was just a bit pressed for time when I posted that. Hadda make a head call in a really bad way.

~Ceadder
  • buck
  • Veteran
Not only do I think Franklin is the most underrated player on the team, I also think that he will have a breakout year.

Singletary has also said some good things about him.

“I just think Aubrayo [Franklin] is one of those guys that really understands the game, and he wants to get better. He wants to do a good job, and for him, he’s a pro. He works at it. He studies film a lot. He’s a fundamentally sound guy and he continues to work on that. "

RE: Is Franklin more effective when he’s moving around a little bit, rather than just right there on the nose and two gapping the entire time?

“He’s not as big as a lot of nose guards, but the thing about him, whether he’s moving or whether he’s head up on the nose, (ie one or two gaping) it’s just one of those things where he’s a guy that is great at anticipating – anticipating the snap count, anticipating the double team. That gives him a little bit of an edge, in terms of just making sure that he’s ready for whatever is going to come. And if he has a jump on you, he’s going to do a good job

http://www.49ers.com/pressbox/print_friendly.php?PRKey=4992

And it seems that Franklin will be playing both 1 and 2 gaps.

From Scott

Q: Scot, I have a question about the type of defense that we’re running that I’m hoping you can clear up for me. I know that once Manusky started calling plays Aubrayo Franklin started one-gapping. What about the other two linemen? Are we running a classic Wade Phillips 3-4, where all three down linemen one-gap or are we running some sort of hybrid?

A: It’s definitely 3-4, but it’s a hybrid in the sense of what our personnel can do. Greg Manusky’s philosophy comes from Wade (Phillips). That’s where he learned the defense while coaching in San Diego under Phillips and that’s what he’s looking to do with us. Greg is also a good enough coach to know what to do with the personnel that we have and how to use it in a way that makes us best in the 3-4.

Franklin has been our starting nose tackle for two years.

Since the original article that I quoted talked about Franklin and his views on Casey Hampton, I found these stats interesting.

The numbers are tackles, solo, assists, and sacks.

Franklin

2008 46 33 13 1.0
2007 26 18 8 0.0
TOTAL 72 51 24 1.0

Games Played 30
Tackles per game 2.4

Casey Hampton

2008 22 13 9 1.0
2007 33 17 16 0.5
55 40 25 1.5

Games Played 28
Tackles Per Game 1.96
Originally posted by buck:
Not only do I think Franklin is the most underrated player on the team, I also think that he will have a breakout year.

Singletary has also said some good things about him.
Just reviving an old thread from the offseason. Seems like the players know what they're talking about after all and we "expert" fans should stick to being just fans.

Not calling anyone out, but the debate in this thread appears to have been resolved.

Originally posted by 49erman5692:
i like Ray McDonald alot

i agree
has to be Franklin.
Kory Sheets
  • B650
  • Veteran
Shawntae Spencer.
Share 49ersWebzone