LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 255 users in the forums

Who is the Most Underrated 49er?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • buck
  • Veteran
We are more than half way through the season.

I think it is now clear that Aubrayo Franklin was the most underrated player on the team.

Kevin Lynch asked this question.

I answered Aubrayo Franklin.

Jeff Ulbrich and Takeo Spikes gave the same answer.

"Linebacker Jeff Ulbrich volunteered his name while watching Franklin stroll from the lunch tent to the locker room during OTA practices in June.

Several other players confirmed the choice most particularly linebacker Takeo Spikes, whose 122 tackles are greatly due to Franklin's presence. "A lot of things he does goes unnoticed, but if you're another player, you see it," Spikes said. "

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/ninerinsider/detail?blogid=45&entry_id=42632

My answer by the way was "I have to go with Aubrayo Franklin. He played very well at the end of the year, and few, if any recognize it."

The article was a good read, and, if Takeo Spikes can be trusted, it helps me understand why the defense got so much better at the end of the year.

[ Edited by buck on Nov 14, 2009 at 15:15:20 ]
Originally posted by buck:
Kevin Lynch asked this question.

I answered Aubrayo Franklin.

Jeff Ulbrich and Takeo Spikes gave the same answer.

"Linebacker Jeff Ulbrich volunteered his name while watching Franklin stroll from the lunch tent to the locker room during OTA practices in June.

Several other players confirmed the choice most particularly linebacker Takeo Spikes, whose 122 tackles are greatly due to Franklin's presence. "A lot of things he does goes unnoticed, but if you're another player, you see it," Spikes said. "

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/ninerinsider/detail?blogid=45&entry_id=42632

My answer by the way was "I have to go with Aubrayo Franklin. He played very well at the end of the year, and few, if any recognize it."

The article was a good read, and, if Takeo Spikes can be trusted, it helps me understand why the defense got so much better at the end of the year.

Takeo was giving franklyn props near the end of last yr along wit willis. I could see em being the most underated niner. I also think brian jennings kinda goes unnoticed as well. Yeah he had a probowl, but still very consistent and oesnt get much love.
Franklin gets ragged on by the ignorant that think it is his job to pressure the qb,when it really isn't what he is supposed to do.His job is to eat up blockers and make tackles when the back gets close enough for him to reach.He did play well when he was asked to do what he does best,the trouble was our last head coach didn't know what he did best(seems to have been a recurrent problem with that guy).The tackle numbers for our MLB's over the past couple of years prove that Franklin was not nearly as bad as some here claim.Sure they guy is not a tackling machine,but he is not the complete waste of space that some of you guys would have us believe.
Thats good to hear! I hope he keeps it up
"You see runs up the middle and the running back will cut it back; Aubrayo will make the play but not make the tackle," Spikes said. "The running back will have to cut it back because of his presence. He's one of the best nose guards I've seen who manhandles the center."

Franklin's been largely considered average at best on this forum- hence all the calls to upgrade at NT. To hear Spikes say he's one of the best goes to show how off our laymen opinions can be.
Not convinced. I will keep an open mind.
Yeh Franklin stepped up his game last year. People never wanted to give him a chance. A lot of times people on this board rag on players who are not high profile. They want to give guys like Haynesworth 100 million dollars to do the same job Franklin is capable of doing. I'm not saying Franklin is better then Haynesworth, but if you look at cost and effectiveness, Franklin is a gem. He is the fastest 315 pound man off the snap if he plays one gap. Stupid Nolan wanted him to be like Haynesworth and play two gaps all day as well as rush the passer.

MANHANDLED the center. I like to hear TKO say that. He is a Vet.
Hes sketchy. A better choice is Hietman or the man that just wins games Shaun Hill
Its interesting because he is playing in his contract year, i expect him to be solid again this season.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Franklin gets ragged on by the ignorant that think it is his job to pressure the qb,when it really isn't what he is supposed to do.His job is to eat up blockers and make tackles when the back gets close enough for him to reach.He did play well when he was asked to do what he does best,the trouble was our last head coach didn't know what he did best(seems to have been a recurrent problem with that guy).The tackle numbers for our MLB's over the past couple of years prove that Franklin was not nearly as bad as some here claim.Sure they guy is not a tackling machine,but he is not the complete waste of space that some of you guys would have us believe.

I agree.Nolan had Franklin in Baltimore so it shows how incompetent he really was when he did not know what his own player did best and had all that time to know his strengths ans weaknesses.

• gore4prez
  • Info N/A
Eric Hietman, Brian Jennings
Everyone's obviously entitled to an opinion, but it cracks me up to see some of you stubbornly disagree with the players themselves about Franklin. That's just too funny.
  • cools
  • Veteran
I figured it was gonna be Heitmann, but glad to hear what the players said about Franklin
Originally posted by cools:
I figured it was gonna be Heitmann, but glad to hear what the players said about Franklin

Same here. There's always this ruminating about the team not having the right personnel for the 3-4, but I could have sworn I saw a team last year that was good against the run. And what better judges of how Franklin is doing on that line than from the linebacker who plays behind him. Great stuff!
Of course Spikes is going to say those things about Franklin. Gore better be giving Heitmann props for opening up holes too. If Franklin is doing his job, who is not doing their job on the d-line? Justin Smith seems to be pulling his weight. Hopefully the other DE spot can start putting some pressure on the opposing offense. Add on a possible surgence from Manny Lawson rushing the passer and things should start to look good. Pressure and sacks on the QB causes turnovers. Getting off the field on 3rd down never hurts either. Keep the defense fresh. Extend our own offensive drives with a run oriented offense which will wear down their defense. Win the game... Okay, I got a little off track. Sorry.
Share 49ersWebzone