There are 144 users in the forums

Countdown to 1st Pre-Season game:IT'S GAME DAY!!!!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Alex Smith has enough trouble carving up a thanksgiving turkey with his bum shoulder, how in the world do you expect him to carve up a defense? Alex Smith sucks. He needs to get cut already.
So....to refocus this thread...How excited are you about that first pre-season game and what players or positions will you be paying special attention to and why?

I am really hoping to see some life from our passrush. I know it's pre-season and they do little if any scheming, but it would be nice to see Manny and Parys beat their guys and get to the QB a few times.
Originally posted by SanFranAddic:
So....to refocus this thread...How excited are you about that first pre-season game and what players or positions will you be paying special attention to and why?

I am really hoping to see some life from our passrush. I know it's pre-season and they do little if any scheming, but it would be nice to see Manny and Parys beat their guys and get to the QB a few times.

I am really hoping to see some life out of our pass rush, too. Also, I want to see Crabtree and his hands. I would love for Alex and Hill to do well moving chains and scoring points. I want to see Coffee run like mad.

We have our new seats so we can't wait for this game!!!

Originally posted by ninertico:

I am really hoping to see some life out of our pass rush, too. Also, I want to see Crabtree and his hands. I would love for Alex and Hill to do well moving chains and scoring points. I want to see Coffee run like mad.

I wanna see this as well, I also am looking forward to seeing dashon gohldson tear it up. Wow (sp), I know. I hope he becomes the ballhawking safety we have been lacking since tony parrish, sgt lance shulters, and mostly merton hanks!
I just want to see marked improvement. I really hope we see a consistent pass rush. We've been lacking that big time. I also hope we dont get ran over big time either.

And as everyone mentioned...it would be AWESOME to see Smith destroy Nolan's lame big-sub triple nickel hyrbid 3-4-3 "defense."

LOL the best would see Denvers defensive players making the SAME mistakes we used to make.
Originally posted by frankie:

I wanna see this as well, I also am looking forward to seeing dashon gohldson tear it up. Wow (sp), I know. I hope he becomes the ballhawking safety we have been lacking since tony parrish, sgt lance shulters, and mostly merton hanks!

Schulters! Man, do I miss that guy. He was my favorite defensive player while he was with us.

I'm really anxious about Dashon and how he'll do. Mostly because Roman played himself out of the spot instead of Dashon playing himself into it, if you know what I mean.

[ Edited by SanFranAddic on Jun 30, 2009 at 13:57:32 ]
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
I just want to see marked improvement. I really hope we see a consistent pass rush. We've been lacking that big time. I also hope we dont get ran over big time either.

And as everyone mentioned...it would be AWESOME to see Smith destroy Nolan's lame big-sub triple nickel hyrbid 3-4-3 "defense."

LOL the best would see Denvers defensive players making the SAME mistakes we used to make.

I think you can count on it. haha
Originally posted by frankie:

Schulters! Man, do I miss that guy. He was my favorite defensive player while he was with us.

I'm really anxious about Dashon and how he'll do. Mostly because Roman played himself out of the spot instead of Dashon playing himself into it, if you know what I mean.

Yeah shulters was the man for sure. I know exactly what ya mean. Roman was there but was useless when it cam to being in the right spot for making a turnover. Which is part of the job of a safety. And the only reason he held that spot as long as he did imo is cause nolan is big on starting age over youth. Hence roman the veteran. The last 3 yrs he couldnt catch a cold to allow someone in the game to intercept the damn ball or cause a fumble. 1 int is all he had the last few yrs. Wow!
I can't wait to see Denver's DB's play 10 yards from our WR's.

Thank you, sir, for getting this conversation back on track.

Our pass rush will be going up against Orton out of the shotgun, so Manny's speed should be in play.

Another interesting facet of the defense will be watching Bly and Brown compete at corner. And then of course to see what kind of offense Jimmy Raye will be calling, even if it is simplified we should still get a feel for what kind of plays will be the basis for our game going forward.

All in all I'm looking forward to a good first half of football, and the second half should be a lot of fun watching back-ups and kids showing the coaches what they can do.

Bring it on!

Knowshon Moreno and Michael Crabtree both in their first games.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by wwrivers:
Originally posted by KasparHauser:
Originally posted by lamontb:
Only the fans care bout the Nolan thing, Him and the players could careless...

The Broncos players may not care, but the more Alex succeeds, the more Nolan looks like a failure at handling him. I want to see at least two TD's by Alex, and it would be awesome for one of them be a bomb.

Can I ask which part besides the part about handling Smith injury did Nolan mishandle Smith??

Wow - really? You're a moderator, looking at the site all day and the only fault you saw in Nolan's handling of Smith is the injury?

1. Starting him as rookie on a horrible team.
2. Not hiring an OC that would stick around for more than 1 year.
3. Not firing the line coach after 2005 and making the 55+ sacks per year go away.
4. Not drafting OL or receivers in early rounds.
5. Generally not standing behind the QB the way most NFL coaches do. At some point that both he and Alex were on the hotseat, and he gladly pointed fingers at the then 22 yo QB.

1. David Carr, Peyton Manning, Tim Couch, Drew Bledsoe, Troy Aikman and so on, started on worst teams or started period, why shouldn't Smith ??
I think you just answered your own question there -- only Manning was ready to start at that point. Aikman survived and became a good QB in spite of starting too early, and the others, esp Couch and Carr, ruined their careers by starting too early.

But that's the thing, how do you know or not know who is ready to start as a rookie?? Playing him is the only way of finding out, after all if he was able to be the #2 QB going into the season, you would think he is able. But what about Drew Bledsoe, his team in '92 was coming off a 2-14 season, and was thrown into the fire in '93, 2,400 yards passing 15 TD's 15 INT's??

If you are the coach, it is your job to know who is ready to start as a rookie. The sad thing is the 49ers knew Smith wasn't readt -- they said he wasn't the most ready to start right away, Urban Meyer had said he would be "nonfunctional" until he got it, etc. It was Nolan's job to know if his big money #1 pick was ready to start. It was his job to groom him. Some guys like P Manning were ready to start right away, others aren't. Treating them like they are all the same is incredibly bad coaching. Nolan needed to find ways to help Alex succeed, and he definitely didn't do that. It showed that Nolan has one way and can only deal with one certain type of player. That is not a recipe for success as a coach.

I didn't say it wasn't his job to know, but how will he know if he doesn't play. Remember like Singletary has said, all technique goes out the window once there's live bullets coming at you. But like I said Smith was listed as the #2 QB so Nolan and his offensive staff knew Smith was capable of stepping in if he had to.

Tell me how did you know Peyton was ready to start and Smith wasn't?? Smith wasn't force to start in any way, so how was this Nolan's fault again??

It was entirely Nolan's fault -- he was the coach, and it was his job to groom his #1 pick to be the QB of the future.

It wasn't my job to know, as I am not the coach and am not at practice. That said, most anyone who saw the situation unfolding knew that Smith wasn't ready to start. He was 20 years old, looked like a scared puppy, was drafted to be a long-term project, had played in a spread offense mostly from the shotgun, etc, etc. Peyton Manning, on the other hand, played 4 years in college, starting 45 games in college, grew up in a pro system, had been raised in the pro game with his father, was incredibly confident, and was not drafted to be a project. It was well known he was one of the most pro ready rookie QBs to come along in a long time. Even without knowing all of this, the coach should have seen that his young qb was not ready to start with his current skill set and the talent the team had that year. Again, it was his job to develop the kid to lead the team to success in the future.

What do you mean by "Smith wasn't forced to start?" You expected a pro football player to tell the coach not to put him in the game???? That is a career ending move.

My god this can go round and round, what aren't you getting, or are you just seeing things without even considering facts. No need to repeat myself, and make a long thread of it.

He wasn't forced to start......Tim Rattay started from game one....what else don't you get??

I think we are getting caught up on semantics here.He was forced to start when Rattay was traded away.He wasn't forced to start when Rattay was still here,but once Tim wore out his welcome Smith was forced to start.I think that is the point that was being made.

But how can you guys see that as FORCED to start, and not as an opportunity to start?? For one, Smith must have showed something in training camp for the coaches to decide to put him as the #2 QB, if he struggled and was having a hard time through camp don't you think the coaches would have put him as the #3 QB??

This is my thing, you people claim that he was forced to start and blame Nolan for it, but if I remember correctly, people on here are always so quick to point out that 2006 was his best year. Which it was, so wouldn't it be to look at the '05 season as positive in a way that it help Smith get experience, after all it did credit Smith with 2 wins in 2005....which I'm sure people will so quickly give him credit for.

Who claimed he was forced to start?I think Rattay should have been kept for taking the beating that was for sure coming due to the terrible offensive line play.I was just saying it was dumb of Nolan to start him in his rookie season knowing that he was a project.It is a good thing the kid is tough and mobile or he coulda been hurt bad like in the 07 season.The only way you could say he was forced to start was out of necessity after Rattay was dumped(which is what I think the other poster meant,not that he was pressured to start against his will).It's not like they had to pressure him into starting,regardless of the Smith bashing the kid obviously wants to play for the niners.Dumb move by a coach that turns out wasn't ready for the big time.

Back on topic,I hope we rip Nolan and his big suck defense a new one.

[ Edited by Memphis9er on Jun 30, 2009 at 17:24:19 ]
Originally posted by bigmike55:
Alex Smith has enough trouble carving up a thanksgiving turkey with his bum shoulder, how in the world do you expect him to carve up a defense? Alex Smith sucks. He needs to get cut already.

Did they give you the warning points for trolling?
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by KasparHauser:
Originally posted by lamontb:
Only the fans care bout the Nolan thing, Him and the players could careless...

The Broncos players may not care, but the more Alex succeeds, the more Nolan looks like a failure at handling him. I want to see at least two TD's by Alex, and it would be awesome for one of them be a bomb.

Can I ask which part besides the part about handling Smith injury did Nolan mishandle Smith??

Wow - really? You're a moderator, looking at the site all day and the only fault you saw in Nolan's handling of Smith is the injury?

1. Starting him as rookie on a horrible team.
2. Not hiring an OC that would stick around for more than 1 year.
3. Not firing the line coach after 2005 and making the 55+ sacks per year go away.
4. Not drafting OL or receivers in early rounds.
5. Generally not standing behind the QB the way most NFL coaches do. At some point that both he and Alex were on the hotseat, and he gladly pointed fingers at the then 22 yo QB.

1. David Carr, Peyton Manning, Tim Couch, Drew Bledsoe, Troy Aikman and so on, started on worst teams or started period, why shouldn't Smith ??
I think you just answered your own question there -- only Manning was ready to start at that point. Aikman survived and became a good QB in spite of starting too early, and the others, esp Couch and Carr, ruined their careers by starting too early.

But that's the thing, how do you know or not know who is ready to start as a rookie?? Playing him is the only way of finding out, after all if he was able to be the #2 QB going into the season, you would think he is able. But what about Drew Bledsoe, his team in '92 was coming off a 2-14 season, and was thrown into the fire in '93, 2,400 yards passing 15 TD's 15 INT's??

If you are the coach, it is your job to know who is ready to start as a rookie. The sad thing is the 49ers knew Smith wasn't readt -- they said he wasn't the most ready to start right away, Urban Meyer had said he would be "nonfunctional" until he got it, etc. It was Nolan's job to know if his big money #1 pick was ready to start. It was his job to groom him. Some guys like P Manning were ready to start right away, others aren't. Treating them like they are all the same is incredibly bad coaching. Nolan needed to find ways to help Alex succeed, and he definitely didn't do that. It showed that Nolan has one way and can only deal with one certain type of player. That is not a recipe for success as a coach.

I didn't say it wasn't his job to know, but how will he know if he doesn't play. Remember like Singletary has said, all technique goes out the window once there's live bullets coming at you. But like I said Smith was listed as the #2 QB so Nolan and his offensive staff knew Smith was capable of stepping in if he had to.

Tell me how did you know Peyton was ready to start and Smith wasn't?? Smith wasn't force to start in any way, so how was this Nolan's fault again??

It was entirely Nolan's fault -- he was the coach, and it was his job to groom his #1 pick to be the QB of the future.

It wasn't my job to know, as I am not the coach and am not at practice. That said, most anyone who saw the situation unfolding knew that Smith wasn't ready to start. He was 20 years old, looked like a scared puppy, was drafted to be a long-term project, had played in a spread offense mostly from the shotgun, etc, etc. Peyton Manning, on the other hand, played 4 years in college, starting 45 games in college, grew up in a pro system, had been raised in the pro game with his father, was incredibly confident, and was not drafted to be a project. It was well known he was one of the most pro ready rookie QBs to come along in a long time. Even without knowing all of this, the coach should have seen that his young qb was not ready to start with his current skill set and the talent the team had that year. Again, it was his job to develop the kid to lead the team to success in the future.

What do you mean by "Smith wasn't forced to start?" You expected a pro football player to tell the coach not to put him in the game????
That is a career ending move.

My god this can go round and round, what aren't you getting, or are you just seeing things without even considering facts. No need to repeat myself, and make a long thread of it.

He wasn't forced to start......Tim Rattay started from game one....what else don't you get??

I think we are getting caught up on semantics here.He was forced to start when Rattay was traded away.He wasn't forced to start when Rattay was still here,but once Tim wore out his welcome Smith was forced to start.I think that is the point that was being made.

But how can you guys see that as FORCED to start, and not as an opportunity to start?? For one, Smith must have showed something in training camp for the coaches to decide to put him as the #2 QB, if he struggled and was having a hard time through camp don't you think the coaches would have put him as the #3 QB??

This is my thing, you people claim that he was forced to start and blame Nolan for it, but if I remember correctly, people on here are always so quick to point out that 2006 was his best year. Which it was, so wouldn't it be to look at the '05 season as positive in a way that it help Smith get experience, after all it did credit Smith with 2 wins in 2005....which I'm sure people will so quickly give him credit for.

Who claimed he was forced to start?I think Rattay should have been kept for taking the beating that was for sure coming due to the terrible offensive line play.I was just saying it was dumb of Nolan to start him in his rookie season knowing that he was a project.It is a good thing the kid is tough and mobile or he coulda been hurt bad like in the 07 season.The only way you could say he was forced to start was out of necessity after Rattay was dumped(which is what I think the other poster meant,not that he was pressured to start against his will).It's not like they had to pressure him into starting,regardless of the Smith bashing the kid obviously wants to play for the niners.Dumb move by a coach that turns out wasn't ready for the big time.

Back on topic,I hope we rip Nolan and his big suck defense a new one.

You guys did. And thanks for getting right back on topic. I think the Broncos will struggle on defense the first two years until they get some people in place, our running game should march right through them.
You guys did. And thanks for getting right back on topic. I think the Broncos will struggle on defense the first two years until they get some people in place, our running game should march right through them.

Right between the tackles full speed ahead...both Gore and Coffee will have big games especially Coffee against the 2nd and 3rd teams. I think our OL is pretty deep with some quality. I would love to see what Wragge, Snyder, Wallace, and especially Boone can do with some time.

And as I said before, one of my most anticipated plays is Crabtree in the end zone. I heard Jamie Dukes (Love him or hate him) say that Crabtree won't get many touches like 100 catches, but believes that he can get to 13-15 TDs because of his ability to get to the red zone as evidenced by his short college career. He just catches everything thrown his way.

Well then, why don't we start him out just catching TDs...that's ok, isn't?

Share 49ersWebzone