LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 236 users in the forums

How Niners decision-making has changed

Shop Find 49ers gear online
May I also add to this discussion...

Was Singletary's decision at the end of the season to effectively NOT name Shaun Hill the starter.

I say this for 2 reasons...

#1. Hill to this point has not proven a whole lot, although he has played VERY well and does have the respect of his teammates. That said, on a 7-9 team, no one should have the comfortability of thinking their job is safe. Hill is a competitor and this non-move was one that didnt get a lot of credit but will be very effective and has been up to this point.

#2. Why would you ruin the confidence of a young QB who, when healthy, was really improving as a leader in the huddle. Smith had the unfortunate expectations of a #1 pick but not the stability that a #1 pick should receive. In not simply restricting Smith from gaining his job back, I'm sure he really earned a lot of respect from not only Smith but those who support Smith in the locker room.

One other thing that hasnt been talked about enough...is Singletary's obvious penchant for just letting players do what they are asked to do and letting them know when they're not. It is one part of coaching that has really been a lost art with all of the micromanaging that goes on within the respective position. Head coaches today either dont have the ability or do not want to just give a player an assignment based on his ability and coach him to do just that. Instead, like Nolan, you have coaches who want players to do everything under the sun, some of which they are not capable of, and throw them under the bus when they fail.

Sing is going to be a very good head coach. The team just needs to retain its stability and remain in line with the goals that they have. IF they can do that you will see another 10 year playoff run.
Originally posted by footballfreak49:
Singletary may not have a lot of coaching experience but he does have experience as a strong, vocal team leader for a Super Bowl team. I think that's valuable something all 49er fans are happy to have.

Sure, we're all happy.

When we're winning.
Share 49ersWebzone