LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 244 users in the forums

How Niners decision-making has changed

Shop Find 49ers gear online
http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2009/06/how-niners-decision-making-has-changed.html

Quote:
The drafts have been Scot McCloughan's area of expertise since Nolan hired him to be the organization's lead talent evaluator in 49ers. While Nolan had final say on every pick made from the 2005, '06, '07 drafts, McCloughan generally - if not, always - got the player he wanted.

Quote:
Mike Singletary's job is to coach. As of yet, he has not attempted to use his power to shape the roster. (There are rumblings around the league that Singletary would be very open to signing Michael Vick, but McCloughan put his foot down on that one.) Singletary saw up close how quickly things turned for Nolan. Singletary is still new to coaching. I'm not sure the last time there has been a head coach in the NFL with as little coaching experience - at any level -- as Singletary.
well, yeah
Singletary may not have a lot of coaching experience but he does have experience as a strong, vocal team leader for a Super Bowl team. I think that's valuable something all 49er fans are happy to have.
Originally posted by footballfreak49:
Singletary may not have a lot of coaching experience but he does have experience as a strong, vocal team leader for a Super Bowl team. I think that's valuable something all 49er fans are happy to have.

anyone who thinks Singletary's lack of coaching experience will hurt our team needs to watch him at the State of The Franchise 2009 event.

viewers note* it starts getting good at 3:19 and/or 3:40

[ Edited by global_nomad on Jun 25, 2009 at 16:39:04 ]
  • carl
  • Veteran
I think his lack of experience is a factor. Without a doubt.

But considering his HC record is 5-4, and one of those losses was his first game where he didn't even have a full week as "HC"...

He finished the season 5-3.

He got VD back in line.

He benched JTO.

He put in Shaun Hill.

He fixed the defense.

He inspired the players to play passionately.

He mentored Patrick Willis.

He left Manusky the f**k alone so he could do his job.

He got up in Martz's business and we started *gasp* running.

He gives infinitely better interviews than Nolan.

He's gotten no slack for wearing a cross (Commish is afraid to say something)

He can Superbowl shuffle.

He stared down Chuck Norris.

He called out Senator Standford for having an affair.

He's masterminding the Iran revolution from his twitter account on an iPhone.

But all of that doesn't matter... at the end of the day, it's your record. He's 5-4. Apparently, he's a pretty good HC. And we'll hopefully see more of that this coming season.
Originally posted by carl:

good stuff
Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:

good stuff

very good stuff..........best post that I have seen in a while
The fact that Sing actually made COACHING decisions to get us to that 5-3(I don't count that first game) mark, is something that keeps getting overlooked. I keep hearing how he's just a motivator, but let's look at the moves he made. As noted, he benched O'suckivan, gave Manusky free reign to simplify the defense, and in so doing made us a MUCH better unit. Also, he moved Baas into the starting lineup, and moved Rachal into the starting lineup. Our offensive line was WAY better the last eight games of the year. Now, I realize that sack stats weren't necessarily that much better, but we were just a much more stout, nasty offensive line. You could tell that just by watching. Not by stats. I expect that the O-line will be even better with another year together and "hopefully" a healthy Marvel Smith at right tackle. So, if Sing makes solid COACHING decisions again this year, and the players step up for him like it appears they will, I'm looking forward to a great season. Of course, I could be wrong. I certainly have been before.
Originally posted by 9erlover:
The fact that Sing actually made COACHING decisions to get us to that 5-3(I don't count that first game) mark, is something that keeps getting overlooked. I keep hearing how he's just a motivator, but let's look at the moves he made. As noted, he benched O'suckivan, gave Manusky free reign to simplify the defense, and in so doing made us a MUCH better unit. Also, he moved Baas into the starting lineup, and moved Rachal into the starting lineup. Our offensive line was WAY better the last eight games of the year. Now, I realize that sack stats weren't necessarily that much better, but we were just a much more stout, nasty offensive line. You could tell that just by watching. Not by stats. I expect that the O-line will be even better with another year together and "hopefully" a healthy Marvel Smith at right tackle. So, if Sing makes solid COACHING decisions again this year, and the players step up for him like it appears they will, I'm looking forward to a great season. Of course, I could be wrong. I certainly have been before.

Yeah Singletary definatly has a high football IQ and is smarter than people think he is. Just like George W., everyone hates them and they have a right too, but this guy seems to think that will change 40-60 years from now. Hopefully it wont take that long for people to realize Singletary can handle his business.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame

But considering his HC record is 5-4, and one of those losses was his first game where he didn't even have a full week as "HC"...

He got VD back in line.

He benched JTO.

He put in Shaun Hill.

He fixed the defense.

But all of that doesn't matter... at the end of the day, it's your record. He's 5-4. Apparently, he's a pretty good HC. And we'll hopefully see more of that this coming season.

He got VD back in line.

He benched JTO.

He put in Shaun Hill.

He fixed the defense.

that's it? im gonna need some more

jk

Singletary did in 4 months what Nolan couldn't do in 4 years.
Originally posted by smashmouth51:

This true, but nolan did once upon a time get rid of b davis, and make the team look good a couple yrs b4, and nolan did help wit a decision on players to get the team the players it needed. And nolan did hire sing to come in and take his job. Damn I feel like nhap...................singletary is the man! Go sing!
Our team plays a lot more intense, and aggressive now then the lack luster nolan now!
We used to be penicilin for other struggling temas, or a confidence boost for teams that had a tough loss the week before.
Win in Buffalo, close game in wich the "old" niners would have been trampled, the Jets game it would have provided the jets a massive morale boost in the "old"( nolan) days, Miamai game allthough tough loss we we in the game until the very end. These games convinced me that there has been a change in mentality.
Originally posted by smashmouth51:

give a lot of credit to mccloughan too. finally this team isnt ruled by one coach/dictator whose schemes isnt supported by his assistants, and isnt hated by the team. the assistant coaches have much more autonomy over their units. what's great is that all the coaches and front office are finally on board toward one vision and scheme, something never under Nolan
Share 49ersWebzone