Originally posted by B650:
Originally posted by ApatheticIAm:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
a couple of more LIES some of these posters try to spew..... it is hilarious...

I read someone posted that if "Hill's Offense continues to struggle on third down bla bla bla" Hill's offense???? THIS IS RAYE'S OFFENSE!!!! YOU DON'T KNOW WTF YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT, STOP POSTING!

also we have another LAIR who is trying to give off the impression that our Home Crowd Booed Hill off the field, again...

EVERYONE GOT BOOED THAT DAY!! The Defense got Booed, The Offense got Booed, the dropped passes caused Boos....the dumb moves made by Morgan and Bly caused Boos....HILL getting sacked in 2 seconds caused boos....

STOP SPREADING OUT BS!

but continue the because Shaun Hill is the 49er starter....where as fans who have any sense (like some in this thread) know that our problem starts first and foremost at the most important area for a football team, the trenches.

I can't wait till I see my 49er starting QB play in 2 weeks....and root my team on....as well as Root on my backup QB who is doing a fine, by assisting his Starting QB, Shaun Hill, at getting ready for opposing defenses....

Great Job Shaun..... and Great Job Alex....

I recall a couple QBs in years past who had horrible trenches too. The names are on the tip of my tongue...oh yeah, Steve Young and Jeff Garcia. They did pretty well, didn't they? And a QB this year seems to be doing pretty well despite a horrible OL...can't think of his name..oh yeah, Aaron Rodgers. Just face it. Hill is an older version of Rex Grossman; he needs 10 seconds to throw or he's useless. We might as well have Andy Lee in at QB. The fact of the matter is this (it has to be explained to some people because they just don't get it), if you can't beat the blitz, you're going to keep getting blitzed. Shaun Hill can't beat the blitz. He's a big part of the reason why he keeps getting hammered. I know he would be playing a lot better if had better protection, but so would 99.9% of the QBs. We aren't going to win a SB with Hill in at QB. So why bother? Why waste time? Let's find out for sure what we have with our back-ups. You telling me Smith or Davis can't throw for 180 yards a game, or throw a touchdown per game? Man come on. Wake up.

come on wake up?

ok man....look I know what is wrong with my team.....and I have seen them fight through it before, with the same personal......I'm talking about last year.

I'm not worried yet.....this past week was a wake up call for everyone on our team, as well as for the Coaches...

The season is not over for me or my 9ers...... by bringing in the backup when that would not instantly fix our Oline problems basically means you have given up on the season........how about you stop watching the team until they change the QB.....sounds good right.....less stress and all....don't worry I'm PM you when it happens....

No, bringing in the back-up means you want to win this season and you're looking towards the future too, because EVERYONE knows that even if Hill takes the 49ers to the playoffs this year, he's going to be replaced one day anyway because he isn't good enough to win a playoff game, let alone a Super Bowl. You agree on this at least, right? So, what's the point of dragging it along? We CAN still win the West with Smith or Davis at QB. I truly believe that. All you need to replace Hill is 180 yards per game.

let me tell you something.... I don't BS.... if I felt Hill couldn't win a playoff game, then I would not want him starting..... the thing is at the end of the day, be it a playoff game or a SuperBowl.....it all comes down to winning one game....just one game....other good teams are going to have to play each other in the playoffs as well....its not like we have to play EVERY playoff team in the post season.

with Hill back there and with the type of team we have, I would want him back there.....I feel comfortable with him back there making plays when it counts (willing Raye lets him) to beat any team. Can anyone say that about our other QBs on our roster, right now?

So no, I do not agree with you about him not being able to win a Playoff game....WHY you ask? BECAUSE HE HAS NOT LOST A PLAYOFF GAME!

But he had a chance at beating 2 playoff teams, and failed. I'm not saying it was all his fault and I know the OL was a big part of it, but he played a big role in it too. He's so extremely limited that he doesn't even look at certain WRs because he knows he can't make certain throws. That's why he ends up checking down to a RB on 3rd downs and we lead the league in three-and-outs. The defense knows this and plays accordingly. Plus, part of the reason why we're getting blitzed so much is Hill's inability to beat the the blitz. His limitations are what's going to cost us in the long run. I'm rooting for this team regardless of who starts at QB. I just think putting someone else in there could actually benefit us.

These are both good arguments. The thing with me is, none of our QB's on our roster have ever played in a playoff game. I think if you plug in Hill or Smith, either one of them can take us to the playoffs. They both can manage the offense and can get us 9 or 10 wins. I DON'T think any one of them can win a playoff game because it is a way different atmosphere. So the question all off-season and season long is who should start? Hill, because of the simple fact he has a much higher winning percentage than Smith and is known to not turn the ball over. The other argument to start Smith is to plan for the future. Is he the future? Really? If he was, the coaches would have stopped beating around the bush and started him all ready. Hill is the guy....now. The coaches want to win now, so they will not start a rookie in Davis. Maybe he is the future, but we want to win now.

Agreed, but once the season starts, if the guy that is supposed to help you win now is only averaging 180 yards and 1 TD a game, is it worth it to sit the younger back-up when he could possibly be the future of the team? Is 180 yards a game really that hard to achieve?

I like what all you guy have to say. All make valid points. As far as only averaging 1 td a game, I think I will take that as long as he averages only 2 int's over 5. If at the end of the year, Hill has 16-17 TDs to 5-6 INT's, there is a good chance we will be in the playoffs.
No way we make the playoffsif we average 1 td a game. He needs to finish with about 20 to 22. I would take 2 td's and 1 int a game. Some times Int's can come on 3rd down, it's like a punt, make a deep to semi deep throw, if we get a 1st down or big play we keep on moving, if it's picked off, it's almost the same as a punt. Im not saying that because Hill throws punts, but because of field position.

The only thing we know for sure is Singletary will not put up with INT's. That will be the only reason Hill is ever benched. So I really don't think Hill will have many TD passes. Unless his goes completely off and throws muliple INT's in the coming games, I don't think a QB change is coming. We can go back and forth all day about who we think is better but it is Singletary call who starts. I think if you really want to see a change, you're probably better off starting a "Singletary's got to go" thread.
If we lose 2 out of the next 3, I think we will see a change. If we lose the next 2, I think we will see a change.
If the offense plays as bad next week as it did against Atlanta, Sing might make the change at QB. I hope I never have to come back to this thread and Hill and the offense start to gel and 9ers keep winning. Man, these bye weeks sure seem to last a long time.
Originally posted by Dblj55:
If the offense plays as bad next week as it did against Atlanta, Sing might make the change at QB. I hope I never have to come back to this thread and Hill and the offense start to gel and 9ers keep winning. Man, these bye weeks sure seem to last a long time.

Hmm, I wonder how Alex Smith performs without Gore.
Originally posted by Joecool:

Probably as good as Hill.
Originally posted by 49ers1fan1982:

I don't know, Hill had some very impressive drives and had a damn good game against the Vikings. Alex...he has a highlight real that keeps looping his 3 great plays in the NFL.

I don't know, Hill had some very impressive drives and had a damn good game against the Vikings. Alex...he has a highlight real that keeps looping his 3 great plays in the NFL.

You didn't watch the Vikings game did you? That was a horrible game at QB. Absolutely atrocious QB play for the entire 1st half and a small handful of good plays in the 2nd. The only reason we're even in that game is Defense and special teams.
Originally posted by Gavintech:

You didn't watch the Vikings game did you? That was a horrible game at QB. Absolutely atrocious QB play for the entire 1st half and a small handful of good plays in the 2nd. The only reason we're even in that game is Defense and special teams.

and we are suppose to take you Hill complainers serious

Absolutely atrocious People!

[ Edited by Afrikan on Oct 16, 2009 at 13:36:51 ]
Wow..I agree Hill isnt the end all-be all QB for us but to say his play thus far has been "atrocious" is a little on the crazy side.

Look, I'm rooting for Smith to be the guy just as much as any other fan but Hill is winning games MORE than a majority of the time. How is that "atroicious" QB play?

His only "atrocious" play was against the Falcons IMO.
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Wow..I agree Hill isnt the end all-be all QB for us but to say his play thus far has been "atrocious" is a little on the crazy side.

Look, I'm rooting for Smith to be the guy just as much as any other fan but Hill is winning games MORE than a majority of the time. How is that "atroicious" QB play?

People always think the second stringer can do better

I remember when people actually wanted Bono more than Young

When Garcia was Qb the fans wanted Rattey

When Rattey was the QB the fans wanted Smith

When Smith was the QB the fans wanted Dorsey...Well, maybe just kolohe

But the point being it is easier for fans to call for the QB then look for the bigger issues.
I can't believe this argument is still going on since the end of last season.
IMO with Smith in we would have the same if not better ball security and might actually have a passing game....

Okay...he wasn't Manning, but horrible? atrocious? I think you are talking about the oline/wr/te/rb's??? you obviously missed that game...

I remember many droped balls, penetration on literally every other play, no QB in the NFL would've looked stellar against that, get a hold of yourself.
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:

Okay...he wasn't Manning, but horrible? atrocious? I think you are talking about the oline/wr/te/rb's??? you obviously missed that game...

I remember many droped balls, penetration on literally every other play, no QB in the NFL would've looked stellar against that, get a hold of yourself.

Just the way fans are. One receiver misses a pass that falls into his lap and makes an excuse about the throw to cover his butt. Fans take that statement and run with it. As bad as some fans say he is, we should all be suprise he can even complete a pass.
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:

I was talking about the 1st half of the Minnesota game. All you have to do is read the post to realize this. The 1st half was just as bad, if not worse, than most of the Atlanta game. I don't know how anyone can argue this.