There are 273 users in the forums

Arguments for Alex Smith and Shaun Hill to Start

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by 49ers1fan1982:
Originally posted by Dblj55:
If the offense plays as bad next week as it did against Atlanta, Sing might make the change at QB. I hope I never have to come back to this thread and Hill and the offense start to gel and 9ers keep winning. Man, these bye weeks sure seem to last a long time.

Hmm, I wonder how Alex Smith performs without Gore.

Probably as good as Hill.

I don't know, Hill had some very impressive drives and had a damn good game against the Vikings. Alex...he has a highlight real that keeps looping his 3 great plays in the NFL.

You didn't watch the Vikings game did you? That was a horrible game at QB. Absolutely atrocious QB play for the entire 1st half and a small handful of good plays in the 2nd. The only reason we're even in that game is Defense and special teams.
Originally posted by Gavintech:
If the offense plays as bad next week as it did against Atlanta, Sing might make the change at QB. I hope I never have to come back to this thread and Hill and the offense start to gel and 9ers keep winning. Man, these bye weeks sure seem to last a long time.

I don't know, Hill had some very impressive drives and had a damn good game against the Vikings. Alex...he has a highlight real that keeps looping his 3 great plays in the NFL.

You didn't watch the Vikings game did you? That was a horrible game at QB. Absolutely atrocious QB play for the entire 1st half and a small handful of good plays in the 2nd. The only reason we're even in that game is Defense and special teams.

and we are suppose to take you Hill complainers serious

Absolutely atrocious People!

[ Edited by Afrikan on Oct 16, 2009 at 13:36:51 ]
Wow..I agree Hill isnt the end all-be all QB for us but to say his play thus far has been "atrocious" is a little on the crazy side.

Look, I'm rooting for Smith to be the guy just as much as any other fan but Hill is winning games MORE than a majority of the time. How is that "atroicious" QB play?

His only "atrocious" play was against the Falcons IMO.
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Wow..I agree Hill isnt the end all-be all QB for us but to say his play thus far has been "atrocious" is a little on the crazy side.

Look, I'm rooting for Smith to be the guy just as much as any other fan but Hill is winning games MORE than a majority of the time. How is that "atroicious" QB play?

People always think the second stringer can do better

I remember when people actually wanted Bono more than Young

When Garcia was Qb the fans wanted Rattey

When Rattey was the QB the fans wanted Smith

When Smith was the QB the fans wanted Dorsey...Well, maybe just kolohe

But the point being it is easier for fans to call for the QB then look for the bigger issues.
I can't believe this argument is still going on since the end of last season.
IMO with Smith in we would have the same if not better ball security and might actually have a passing game....

Okay...he wasn't Manning, but horrible? atrocious? I think you are talking about the oline/wr/te/rb's??? you obviously missed that game...

I remember many droped balls, penetration on literally every other play, no QB in the NFL would've looked stellar against that, get a hold of yourself.
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:

Okay...he wasn't Manning, but horrible? atrocious? I think you are talking about the oline/wr/te/rb's??? you obviously missed that game...

I remember many droped balls, penetration on literally every other play, no QB in the NFL would've looked stellar against that, get a hold of yourself.

Just the way fans are. One receiver misses a pass that falls into his lap and makes an excuse about the throw to cover his butt. Fans take that statement and run with it. As bad as some fans say he is, we should all be suprise he can even complete a pass.

I was talking about the 1st half of the Minnesota game. All you have to do is read the post to realize this. The 1st half was just as bad, if not worse, than most of the Atlanta game. I don't know how anyone can argue this.

I was talking about the 1st half of the Minnesota game. All you have to do is read the post to realize this. The 1st half was just as bad, if not worse, than most of the Atlanta game. I don't know how anyone can argue this.

I remember many dropped balls, penetration on literally every other play, no QB in the NFL would've looked stellar against that, get a hold of yourself.

There's a large amount of ground to cover between atrocious to stellar. The 1st half of that game he played as bad as any pro QB I've ever seen. He did absolutely nothing to help the team, nothing.

I remember many dropped balls, penetration on literally every other play, no QB in the NFL would've looked stellar against that, get a hold of yourself.

Do you have a point though? I was responding to someone that said he played great in that game. So you're basically agreeing with me that he looked horrible. Thanks.
I wonder what kind of legal ramifications there would be if I were to send a dead duck to Shaun Hill, care of 49ers Headquarters?

I don't agree with the atrocious statement for the whole Minnesota game, but I have to agree he was terrible the first half.
I don't think Hill fans get the big picture. Hill is a 29 year old career backup. Theres a reason why Mike Tice didn't play him, theres a reason why Norv Turner didn't play him and theres a reason why Mike Martz didn't start him. This is a guy who has reached his maximum potential. he's not going to get any better. So where does this leave us as an organization? Are we gonna continue to ride him for years to come? I mean, he's got a good record so maybe he'll continue to start for us for the rest of his career? How does that sound?

I mean, we all wanna see our team make the playoffs and if Hill gives us the best chance at getting there then so be it but where do we go from there? The whole notion of having a game manager under center was only solidified because we were suppose to have a top tier defense. But when our defense is giving up 45 points to sub par teams and we have a career backup at our quarterback position where does that leave us? What will our future be at the quarterback position? Is Alex Smith the answer? I know he has bad statistics but anyone who's seen him play knows he throws an accurate football. But how will we know if he's our future if we leave him on the bench when he's 100% healthy?

I have nothing against Shaun Hill but I just can't see this guy as our franchise guy going into the next few years. I know a lot of Hill fans will turn around and say that Nate Davis is the future but how do we know? He only got a chance to throw against 5th stringers, the same 5th stringers who let Coffee run circles around them and we've seen what Coffee does against 1st string defenses... Alex Smith can play and in the past he hasn't had the talent or the coaching that he has around him now. If Hill is going to continue to stand in his squatty stance and make himself 5'9 so he can no longer see over his linemen and then run into a guard and get sacked then I say we need to put in Smith.

[ Edited by Mospeed on Oct 16, 2009 at 15:32:36 ]
Share 49ersWebzone