LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 285 users in the forums

Arguments for Alex Smith and Shaun Hill to Start

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Method:
Originally posted by B650:
Agreed, but once the season starts, if the guy that is supposed to help you win now is only averaging 180 yards and 5 TDs per game, is it worth it to sit the younger back-up when he could possibly be the future of the team? Is 180 yards a game really that hard to achieve?

I don't even care about the yards... Shaun's averaging 5 TD's a game? DAMNNNNN WOO HOOO.

Fixed.

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Super5:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by cools:
That should build up some good chemistry, which he also had with Jones in TC
Those two, along with Morgan are the future of this team at WR

Hope all 4 of em are playing well soon

Im not saying Smith will be the savior at QB
how fast he can run or how hard he can throw wont matter if he
continues to be scared to throw the ball

But to echo what has been said, Hill is not cutting it, his noodle arm, poor footwork, lack of poise and inabilty to read defenses is apparent

give it a rest people...if he was all those things HE WOULD NOT HAVE WON THE STARTING JOB........and more importantly HE WOULD NOT STILL REMAIN THE STARTER...

God, some of you are just d__b

Not worth it bro. These are the same people that were hiding in the closet with their Alex Smith jerseys, just waiting for Hill to fail so that they could come out with the pitch forks and baseball bats.

Where was this thread when Hill drove us down the field IN Arizona for the gamewinning touchdown ? Or when he lit Seattle's defense up with his ARM to burn 9 minutes in the second half of Week 2 ? Or when he torched Minnesota's top notch defense to give us the go ahead TD in week 3 ?

I didnt see one "bench Hill", "start Alex", etc. threads during those 3 weeks. Now, the reality is that DURING those 3 weeks, the theme has always been the same......FIRE RAYE. It was apparent from the start that the playcalling was horrendous, and that Raye was setting us up for disaster by depending on the defense too much. Well, it finally backfired. First, we got a taste with Favre's last minute TD, and then Atlanta wiped us off the map.

I love Niner fans. Inconsistency at its finest. No one had any problems with Hill at the end op last year, or the beginning of this year; he plays crappy for one week, and they ACTUALLY want Alex Smith.....yes the same bust Alex Smith...in at starter because he looked good in practice ?

Hell, even I admit that Hill is not the future, but putting Alex in at QB is giving up on the season........

^^^^I have to agree with this. Well said!!!

Pro Hill,nuff' said.....

Pro Smith, nuff said.....
Originally posted by FederalAgent49:
everyone knew what you would get with HILL!!!!!!, Hill can "manage a game, he will never be able to take a team on his back down the field on a 90 yard drive in the last 2 mins of the 4th qrt. Smith has a chance to be that QB, but he also has the chance to be the next Ryan Leaf......pick your poison...but please dont keep this nate davis bulls**t going, he needs to develop on the sideline, lets not ruin another Qb by throwing him into the fire early

FederalAgent, he did it twice....granted it might have been 80yards instead of 90....but he did it against the Cardinals at their house in front of a wild crowd.

he did it again, against the Vikes, who have one of the best defense in the league, and in that loud dome......Hill drove us down the field and got us the leading TD.
Originally posted by FederalAgent49:
everyone knew what you would get with HILL!!!!!!, Hill can "manage a game, he will never be able to take a team on his back down the field on a 90 yard drive in the last 2 mins of the 4th qrt. Smith has a chance to be that QB, but he also has the chance to be the next Ryan Leaf......pick your poison...but please dont keep this nate davis bulls**t going, he needs to develop on the sideline, lets not ruin another Qb by throwing him into the fire early

FederalAgent, he did it twice....granted it might have been 80yards instead of 90....but he did it against the Cardinals at their house in front of a wild crowd.

he did it again, against the Vikes, who have one of the best defense in the league, and in that loud dome......Hill drove us down the field and got us the leading TD.

And that is jsut this year...

The guy doesn't even have a full season under his belt, yet recieves so much crap as though he has all the playing experience in the world.
a couple of more LIES some of these posters try to spew..... it is hilarious...

I read someone posted that if "Hill's Offense continues to struggle on third down bla bla bla" Hill's offense???? THIS IS RAYE'S OFFENSE!!!! YOU DON'T KNOW WTF YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT, STOP POSTING!

also we have another LAIR who is trying to give off the impression that our Home Crowd Booed Hill off the field, again...

EVERYONE GOT BOOED THAT DAY!! The Defense got Booed, The Offense got Booed, the dropped passes caused Boos....the dumb moves made by Morgan and Bly caused Boos....HILL getting sacked in 2 seconds caused boos....

STOP SPREADING OUT BS!

but continue the because Shaun Hill is the 49er starter....where as fans who have any sense (like some in this thread) know that our problem starts first and foremost at the most important area for a football team, the trenches.

I can't wait till I see my 49er starting QB play in 2 weeks....and root my team on....as well as Root on my backup QB who is doing a fine, by assisting his Starting QB, Shaun Hill, at getting ready for opposing defenses....

Great Job Shaun..... and Great Job Alex....

I recall a couple QBs in years past who had horrible trenches too. The names are on the tip of my tongue...oh yeah, Steve Young and Jeff Garcia. They did pretty well, didn't they? And a QB this year seems to be doing pretty well despite a horrible OL...can't think of his name..oh yeah, Aaron Rodgers. Just face it. Hill is an older version of Rex Grossman; he needs 10 seconds to throw or he's useless. We might as well have Andy Lee in at QB. The fact of the matter is this (it has to be explained to some people because they just don't get it), if you can't beat the blitz, you're going to keep getting blitzed. Shaun Hill can't beat the blitz. He's a big part of the reason why he keeps getting hammered. I know he would be playing a lot better if had better protection, but so would 99.9% of the QBs. We aren't going to win a SB with Hill in at QB. So why bother? Why waste time? Let's find out for sure what we have with our back-ups. You telling me Smith or Davis can't throw for 180 yards a game, or throw a touchdown per game? Man come on. Wake up.

I would trade him for Rex Grossman today.
Originally posted by ApatheticIAm:

I read someone posted that if "Hill's Offense continues to struggle on third down bla bla bla" Hill's offense???? THIS IS RAYE'S OFFENSE!!!! YOU DON'T KNOW WTF YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT, STOP POSTING!

also we have another LAIR who is trying to give off the impression that our Home Crowd Booed Hill off the field, again...

EVERYONE GOT BOOED THAT DAY!! The Defense got Booed, The Offense got Booed, the dropped passes caused Boos....the dumb moves made by Morgan and Bly caused Boos....HILL getting sacked in 2 seconds caused boos....

STOP SPREADING OUT BS!

but continue the because Shaun Hill is the 49er starter....where as fans who have any sense (like some in this thread) know that our problem starts first and foremost at the most important area for a football team, the trenches.

I can't wait till I see my 49er starting QB play in 2 weeks....and root my team on....as well as Root on my backup QB who is doing a fine, by assisting his Starting QB, Shaun Hill, at getting ready for opposing defenses....

I recall a couple QBs in years past who had horrible trenches too. The names are on the tip of my tongue...oh yeah, Steve Young and Jeff Garcia. They did pretty well, didn't they? And a QB this year seems to be doing pretty well despite a horrible OL...can't think of his name..oh yeah, Aaron Rodgers. Just face it. Hill is an older version of Rex Grossman; he needs 10 seconds to throw or he's useless. We might as well have Andy Lee in at QB. The fact of the matter is this (it has to be explained to some people because they just don't get it), if you can't beat the blitz, you're going to keep getting blitzed. Shaun Hill can't beat the blitz. He's a big part of the reason why he keeps getting hammered. I know he would be playing a lot better if had better protection, but so would 99.9% of the QBs. We aren't going to win a SB with Hill in at QB. So why bother? Why waste time? Let's find out for sure what we have with our back-ups. You telling me Smith or Davis can't throw for 180 yards a game, or throw a touchdown per game? Man come on. Wake up.

come on wake up?

ok man....look I know what is wrong with my team.....and I have seen them fight through it before, with the same personal......I'm talking about last year.

I'm not worried yet.....this past week was a wake up call for everyone on our team, as well as for the Coaches...

The season is not over for me or my 9ers...... by bringing in the backup when that would not instantly fix our Oline problems basically means you have given up on the season........how about you stop watching the team until they change the QB.....sounds good right.....less stress and all....don't worry I'm PM you when it happens....

No, bringing in the back-up means you want to win this season and you're looking towards the future too, because EVERYONE knows that even if Hill takes the 49ers to the playoffs this year, he's going to be replaced one day anyway because he isn't good enough to win a playoff game, let alone a Super Bowl. You agree on this at least, right? So, what's the point of dragging it along? We CAN still win the West with Smith or Davis at QB. I truly believe that. All you need to replace Hill is 180 yards per game.

let me tell you something.... I don't BS.... if I felt Hill couldn't win a playoff game, then I would not want him starting..... the thing is at the end of the day, be it a playoff game or a SuperBowl.....it all comes down to winning one game....just one game....other good teams are going to have to play each other in the playoffs as well....its not like we have to play EVERY playoff team in the post season.

with Hill back there and with the type of team we have, I would want him back there.....I feel comfortable with him back there making plays when it counts (willing Raye lets him) to beat any team. Can anyone say that about our other QBs on our roster, right now?

So no, I do not agree with you about him not being able to win a Playoff game....WHY you ask? BECAUSE HE HAS NOT LOST A PLAYOFF GAME!

But he had a chance at beating 2 playoff teams, and failed. I'm not saying it was all his fault and I know the OL was a big part of it, but he played a big role in it too. He's so extremely limited that he doesn't even look at certain WRs because he knows he can't make certain throws. That's why he ends up checking down to a RB on 3rd downs and we lead the league in three-and-outs. The defense knows this and plays accordingly. Plus, part of the reason why we're getting blitzed so much is Hill's inability to beat the the blitz. His limitations are what's going to cost us in the long run. I'm rooting for this team regardless of who starts at QB. I just think putting someone else in there could actually benefit us.

These are both good arguments. The thing with me is, none of our QB's on our roster have ever played in a playoff game. I think if you plug in Hill or Smith, either one of them can take us to the playoffs. They both can manage the offense and can get us 9 or 10 wins. I DON'T think any one of them can win a playoff game because it is a way different atmosphere. So the question all off-season and season long is who should start? Hill, because of the simple fact he has a much higher winning percentage than Smith and is known to not turn the ball over. The other argument to start Smith is to plan for the future. Is he the future? Really? If he was, the coaches would have stopped beating around the bush and started him all ready. Hill is the guy....now. The coaches want to win now, so they will not start a rookie in Davis. Maybe he is the future, but we want to win now.

Agreed, but once the season starts, if the guy that is supposed to help you win now is only averaging 180 yards and 1 TD a game, is it worth it to sit the younger back-up when he could possibly be the future of the team? Is 180 yards a game really that hard to achieve?

I like what all you guy have to say. All make valid points. As far as only averaging 1 td a game, I think I will take that as long as he averages only 2 int's over 5. If at the end of the year, Hill has 16-17 TDs to 5-6 INT's, there is a good chance we will be in the playoffs.

[ Edited by dirtysouthniner on Oct 16, 2009 at 08:32:47 ]
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dirtysouthniner:

STOP SPREADING OUT BS!

come on wake up?

ok man....look I know what is wrong with my team.....and I have seen them fight through it before, with the same personal......I'm talking about last year.

I'm not worried yet.....this past week was a wake up call for everyone on our team, as well as for the Coaches...

The season is not over for me or my 9ers...... by bringing in the backup when that would not instantly fix our Oline problems basically means you have given up on the season........how about you stop watching the team until they change the QB.....sounds good right.....less stress and all....don't worry I'm PM you when it happens....

No, bringing in the back-up means you want to win this season and you're looking towards the future too, because EVERYONE knows that even if Hill takes the 49ers to the playoffs this year, he's going to be replaced one day anyway because he isn't good enough to win a playoff game, let alone a Super Bowl. You agree on this at least, right? So, what's the point of dragging it along? We CAN still win the West with Smith or Davis at QB. I truly believe that. All you need to replace Hill is 180 yards per game.

let me tell you something.... I don't BS.... if I felt Hill couldn't win a playoff game, then I would not want him starting..... the thing is at the end of the day, be it a playoff game or a SuperBowl.....it all comes down to winning one game....just one game....other good teams are going to have to play each other in the playoffs as well....its not like we have to play EVERY playoff team in the post season.

with Hill back there and with the type of team we have, I would want him back there.....I feel comfortable with him back there making plays when it counts (willing Raye lets him) to beat any team. Can anyone say that about our other QBs on our roster, right now?

So no, I do not agree with you about him not being able to win a Playoff game....WHY you ask? BECAUSE HE HAS NOT LOST A PLAYOFF GAME!

But he had a chance at beating 2 playoff teams, and failed. I'm not saying it was all his fault and I know the OL was a big part of it, but he played a big role in it too. He's so extremely limited that he doesn't even look at certain WRs because he knows he can't make certain throws. That's why he ends up checking down to a RB on 3rd downs and we lead the league in three-and-outs. The defense knows this and plays accordingly. Plus, part of the reason why we're getting blitzed so much is Hill's inability to beat the the blitz. His limitations are what's going to cost us in the long run. I'm rooting for this team regardless of who starts at QB. I just think putting someone else in there could actually benefit us.

These are both good arguments. The thing with me is, none of our QB's on our roster have ever played in a playoff game. I think if you plug in Hill or Smith, either one of them can take us to the playoffs. They both can manage the offense and can get us 9 or 10 wins. I DON'T think any one of them can win a playoff game because it is a way different atmosphere. So the question all off-season and season long is who should start? Hill, because of the simple fact he has a much higher winning percentage than Smith and is known to not turn the ball over. The other argument to start Smith is to plan for the future. Is he the future? Really? If he was, the coaches would have stopped beating around the bush and started him all ready. Hill is the guy....now. The coaches want to win now, so they will not start a rookie in Davis. Maybe he is the future, but we want to win now.

Agreed, but once the season starts, if the guy that is supposed to help you win now is only averaging 180 yards and 1 TD a game, is it worth it to sit the younger back-up when he could possibly be the future of the team? Is 180 yards a game really that hard to achieve?

I like what all you guy have to say. All make valid points. As far as only averaging 1 td a game, I think I will take that as long as he averages only 2 int's over 5. If at the end of the year, Hill has 16-17 TDs to 5-6 INT's, there is a good chance we will be in the playoffs.
No way we make the playoffsif we average 1 td a game. He needs to finish with about 20 to 22. I would take 2 td's and 1 int a game. Some times Int's can come on 3rd down, it's like a punt, make a deep to semi deep throw, if we get a 1st down or big play we keep on moving, if it's picked off, it's almost the same as a punt. Im not saying that because Hill throws punts, but because of field position.
Originally posted by pd24:

STOP SPREADING OUT BS!

come on wake up?

No way we make the playoffsif we average 1 td a game. He needs to finish with about 20 to 22. I would take 2 td's and 1 int a game. Some times Int's can come on 3rd down, it's like a punt, make a deep to semi deep throw, if we get a 1st down or big play we keep on moving, if it's picked off, it's almost the same as a punt. Im not saying that because Hill throws punts, but because of field position.

The only thing we know for sure is Singletary will not put up with INT's. That will be the only reason Hill is ever benched. So I really don't think Hill will have many TD passes. Unless his goes completely off and throws muliple INT's in the coming games, I don't think a QB change is coming. We can go back and forth all day about who we think is better but it is Singletary call who starts. I think if you really want to see a change, you're probably better off starting a "Singletary's got to go" thread.
Oh please please please. Can we be just like the browns and argue over which of our sub par QBs gets the nod. God help us if we begin the QB carousel after one loss to the falcons.

Wake up people, Alex Smith is not going to be some magic tonic to fix this team. He is not that good. I can't believe I'm dignifying this with a response.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pd24:

STOP SPREADING OUT BS!

come on wake up?

The only thing we know for sure is Singletary will not put up with INT's. That will be the only reason Hill is ever benched. So I really don't think Hill will have many TD passes. Unless his goes completely off and throws muliple INT's in the coming games, I don't think a QB change is coming. We can go back and forth all day about who we think is better but it is Singletary call who starts. I think if you really want to see a change, you're probably better off starting a "Singletary's got to go" thread.
If we lose 2 out of the next 3, I think we will see a change. If we lose the next 2, I think we will see a change.

If the offense plays as bad next week as it did against Atlanta, Sing might make the change at QB. I hope I never have to come back to this thread and Hill and the offense start to gel and 9ers keep winning. Man, these bye weeks sure seem to last a long time.
Originally posted by Dblj55:
If the offense plays as bad next week as it did against Atlanta, Sing might make the change at QB. I hope I never have to come back to this thread and Hill and the offense start to gel and 9ers keep winning. Man, these bye weeks sure seem to last a long time.

Hmm, I wonder how Alex Smith performs without Gore.
Originally posted by Joecool:

Probably as good as Hill.
Originally posted by 49ers1fan1982:

I don't know, Hill had some very impressive drives and had a damn good game against the Vikings. Alex...he has a highlight real that keeps looping his 3 great plays in the NFL.
Originally posted by 49ers1fan1982:

I don't know, Hill had some very impressive drives and had a damn good game against the Vikings. Alex...he has a highlight real that keeps looping his 3 great plays in the NFL.

Share 49ersWebzone