Originally posted by truekingcarlos:
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by PTulini:
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
In my opinion, I think Alex Smith deserves another shot as the starting QB of the San Francisco 49ers. The only reason he lost it in the first place was due to injury. Coming off the 2006 season, Alex looked like he was turning the corner and becoming the franchise QB we were looking for. Then, after beginning the 2007 season 2-1, Alex injured his shoulder and hasn't played healthy since.

We had heard reports this summer that Alex was now healthy, and had looked better than he ever has since being drafted in 2005. The QB battle between Hill and Smith went down to the wire. Right before Game 3, Shaun Hill was named the starter. (as we know)

I seem to think Shaun Hill was named the starter by default. I think the decision would've come down to Game 3 if Alex had not injured his finger! Up to that point, I considered the QB battle as a draw, with Game 3 being the deciding factor (but that never happened).

Alex was beginning to show an improved pocket presence. He is obviously more atheletic, throws a better deep ball, and has all of the measurables you look for in a QB! I think Alex Smith should get another opportunity to start. I believe Alex can be a good QB, he just needs some time to get the rust off. The more he plays the better he'll get. Don't you think its odd that all we hear about is Michael Crabtree asking Alex questions? Hanging out with Alex. Shouldn't Crabtree be developing a rappour with Shaun Hill?

Lol you're the king of the standard 3-5 paragraph essay. You state a thesis and give 2-4 concrete pieces of evidence to support your thesis and end with a conclusion wrapping up your overall argument.

Anyway well said and while I agree Smith can start I also don't think Hill should be benched. 2 or 3 shtty games?Then yes.

I can't help it, I'm used to needing to support my argument in college when writing papers and doing speeches. While I'm not saying right now, I do think if Shaun Hill does begin to play poorly, Coach Singletary will not hesitate to pull the trigger. By season's end, we need to know where we stand. Its obvious to me that this organization does not think Shaun is the answer.

See I agree with PTulini, and I am sick of Hill because I was ready to throw him out of a window before he had that 8 minute drive. He had been missing guys all game, guys that were wide open. Not much really changed in the last few games, there had been a little good and a lot of mediocre/bad play but because the defense had us winning people were looking at the 1 or 2 good drives per game and saying "ZOMG DUDE IS SOOO CLUTCH" instead of looking at the 8 or 9 punts, and th 3 and outs.

That about sums it up.

The "he gets it done when it counts" stuff is bull crap. It COUNTS ALL GAME. THAT'S WHEN IT MATTERS. Yes he was FORTUNATE to make those plays at the end of a few games when he had to, but look fellas, Alex can and HAS done that before too.

What we saw Sunday was this:

-Hill didn't have such a drive to mask his mediocrity.
-Because Hill lacks certain skills that you need in a QB when trailing, we saw with a guy like Hill, it's virtually impossible to come back in games where we fall behind and need to throw to get back into it.
-Our OL is playing very poorly and Hill is probably going to get injured because of simply tucking the ball every time due to what appears to me to be indecisiveness much of the time. This not only causes us to lose yards unnecessarily, it's obviously not good for his health. He's played five games and already has to sit out to recover.
I like Hill and believe he earned the starting job. With that said I do think that Smith has better overall ability, where Hill trumps him, at least in flashes, are his intangibles and leadership, but sometimes that isn't enough to win games, and as we all know the best qb's have both intangibles and ability.

I don't believe that Smith should start yet, Hill had one bad game, let's see if this is a pattern first. If defenses have figured him out and Hill can't adjust his game, then it's time to get Smith out there. Smith brings his own set of strengths and weaknesses, but when you don't have an oline it's best to go with the mobile guy who can make throws (when he's healthy of course).

With this oline, Smith might be more productive than Hill.

Hill had five bad games. He had one REALLY REALLY REALLY bad game. But five overall.

Is anyone else tired of this?

He had five bad games this year? 4 mediocre and one really bad, that's probably more accurate.

Ok. We can go around and around about who sucks worst between Smith and Hill. The truth is neither is really good. But can someone provide me with some statistics to back up the claim that Smith could be more sucessful. He has never been a gunslinger or someone who can make something out of nothing. The niners were 26th in the league in 3rd down offense during Smith best year with Gore running wild. Whether people want to remember or not, each time Hill has come off the bench; he provided the spark to help this team win. We were a 2-13 team before Hill came in and helped us win 2 games in 2007. We were a 2-5 team before Hill came in last year and helped us finish with a 7-9 record. I just want a reason to believe in Smith.

In '06, we were tied for 13th in the league in pass plays of 40+ yards.

That's what I am talking about. I may not be a big Smith supporter, but with the line we have, he is bound to get his chance. But I should add that it is a lot easier getting the ball down field when you actually have a run game.

Blame that on Glenn "decaf" Coffee. The guy just can't find a whole if he fell right through it. If we can't use the run to set up the pass then use the pass to set up the run. Defenses want to stack 8 or 9 in the box then quick slants and screens away

The problem is, if your passer is playing like Hill has been, they'll continue to stack the box knowing they can beat us either way. Hill has to be able to pass even when he's facing 6-man fronts or less. This year, he's been very, very shaking if he ever has to throw under pressure.

I agree, but if he can't handle those situations then the team needs to find a QB that can. I would rather do that now then wait till the season is lost (JTO all over again) A member posted before the season that teams would figure Hill out and he would be useless. Well I think teams have figured him out. I say good prediction on his part.
I do not see Hill finishing the season as the starter. I like the guy, but he just looks so horrible most of the time.
Anyway well said and while I agree Smith can start I also don't think Hill should be benched. 2 or 3 shtty games?Then yes.

Already been 5 s**tty games. Do you mean 2 or 3 MORE?

He's the only QB since Garcia to have a consistent 80+ qb rating. I agree his play isn't pretty or fantasy worthy but who cares. He's winning. You gotta respect that.

He's the only QB since Garcia to have a consistent 80+ qb rating. I agree his play isn't pretty or fantasy worthy but who cares. He's winning. You gotta respect that.

3-2 isnt good enough for me
  • pd24
  • Veteran

His rating has been droping every week, he will be under 80 after the next game.

I don't count the garbage time he got the last 2 years. Now teams know who he is, and they know that it is not much.
Originally posted by phatbutskinny:

lol are u kidding? im happy with 3-2, one SHOULD have been a win vs. Minnesota -- can't blame that entirely on hill, can you?! and one just straight blowout -- can't blame that entirely on hill, can you?! our 3-2 record is 3-0 in the division and we have a 1 game lead over the next teams. starting out in 1st doesn't mean we finish but it damn well gives us confidence within our division.

when we lost, it was mainly on special teams if you really think about it. Case 1 -- percy harvin's runback that COMPLETELY juiced the minni team (we had ALL the momentum) and then the fumble by delanie walker that couldn't be challenged (we would've been driving after a good drive with the coffee run-in and only down 11).

i'm not defending hill -- i wish we had a better QB -- but he has literally had one awful game and that's it. other than that he has kept us in the game and led decent drives. do i think alex can do this? he probably can, but just because it was one bad game doesn't mean you ax the guy that won the starting job in the offseason. if we get beat by houston and blown out in indy, then okay let the alex smith train start up.
Frankie408: Is there a chance that Alex Smith starts over Hill?
MattMaiocco: Not for a while. Singletary blamed most of the passing struggles on the O-line.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
how easy it is for some to forget how "mobile" Alex used to be....don't yall remember when he would run backwards...instead of stepping up or even just tucking the ball down and running for positive yardage.... you guys don't remember when he used to leave the pocket too early and would bump into his own lineman....

You mean when he was 21 and taking his first snaps from under center EVER and his QB coach was Jim Hostler? Yep, I remember that.
Originally posted by phatbutskinny:

The team's record is not really part of the conversation because it has NOTHING to do with Shaun Hill. I don't think anyone expected the 49ers to be better than 3-2 at this point and most of us would have taken that before the season. What I wouldn't have taken is 3-2 with the knowledge that the offense didn;t have even one good game as a whole and Shaun Hill would not even be making the minimal amount of throws that he was able to make with some consistency last year.
Originally posted by BHulman:
Originally posted by matt49er:
Alex Smith is not ready to start, I know that sounds weird because he's in his 5th year but remember it's also his 5th OC his 5th system. His college head coach said it even before he was drafted that Alex is not good and cannot function within an offense until he knows it inside and out. I believe this is finally being understood by 9er management and is the reason we gave him a 2 year deal to come back. The 49ers are not going to rush to put Smith out there yes he has showed some progress and had some bright spots but overall he has not lived up to being hte #1 overall pick no matter how you think of it. Alex will not be considered for the starting job for at least another couple weeks, during that time he would need to shine both in practice and film study and prove he is ready. At the same time Hill would have to suck really badly like he did on Sunday for this to occur.

I think that for the first time in his career the Niner organization is doing right by Alex: let him sit and absorb before throwing him out there. Some players don't require that; some do. I think Smith is one who does. I hope so anyways.

[ Edited by truekingcarlos on Oct 15, 2009 at 05:49:53 ]

Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
In my opinion, I think Alex Smith deserves another shot as the starting QB of the San Francisco 49ers. The only reason he lost it in the first place was due to injury. Coming off the 2006 season, Alex looked like he was turning the corner and becoming the franchise QB we were looking for. Then, after beginning the 2007 season 2-1, Alex injured his shoulder and hasn't played healthy since.

We had heard reports this summer that Alex was now healthy, and had looked better than he ever has since being drafted in 2005. The QB battle between Hill and Smith went down to the wire. Right before Game 3, Shaun Hill was named the starter. (as we know)

I seem to think Shaun Hill was named the starter by default. I think the decision would've come down to Game 3 if Alex had not injured his finger! Up to that point, I considered the QB battle as a draw, with Game 3 being the deciding factor (but that never happened).

Alex was beginning to show an improved pocket presence. He is obviously more atheletic, throws a better deep ball, and has all of the measurables you look for in a QB! I think Alex Smith should get another opportunity to start. I believe Alex can be a good QB, he just needs some time to get the rust off. The more he plays the better he'll get. Don't you think its odd that all we hear about is Michael Crabtree asking Alex questions? Hanging out with Alex. Shouldn't Crabtree be developing a rappour with Shaun Hill?

Lol you're the king of the standard 3-5 paragraph essay. You state a thesis and give 2-4 concrete pieces of evidence to support your thesis and end with a conclusion wrapping up your overall argument.

I can't help it, I'm used to needing to support my argument in college when writing papers and doing speeches. While I'm not saying right now, I do think if Shaun Hill does begin to play poorly, Coach Singletary will not hesitate to pull the trigger. By season's end, we need to know where we stand. Its obvious to me that this organization does not think Shaun is the answer.

See I agree with PTulini, and I am sick of Hill because I was ready to throw him out of a window before he had that 8 minute drive. He had been missing guys all game, guys that were wide open. Not much really changed in the last few games, there had been a little good and a lot of mediocre/bad play but because the defense had us winning people were looking at the 1 or 2 good drives per game and saying "ZOMG DUDE IS SOOO CLUTCH" instead of looking at the 8 or 9 punts, and th 3 and outs.

That about sums it up.

The "he gets it done when it counts" stuff is bull crap. It COUNTS ALL GAME. THAT'S WHEN IT MATTERS. Yes he was FORTUNATE to make those plays at the end of a few games when he had to, but look fellas, Alex can and HAS done that before too.

What we saw Sunday was this:

-Hill didn't have such a drive to mask his mediocrity.
-Because Hill lacks certain skills that you need in a QB when trailing, we saw with a guy like Hill, it's virtually impossible to come back in games where we fall behind and need to throw to get back into it.
-Our OL is playing very poorly and Hill is probably going to get injured because of simply tucking the ball every time due to what appears to me to be indecisiveness much of the time. This not only causes us to lose yards unnecessarily, it's obviously not good for his health. He's played five games and already has to sit out to recover.
I like Hill and believe he earned the starting job. With that said I do think that Smith has better overall ability, where Hill trumps him, at least in flashes, are his intangibles and leadership, but sometimes that isn't enough to win games, and as we all know the best qb's have both intangibles and ability.

I don't believe that Smith should start yet, Hill had one bad game, let's see if this is a pattern first. If defenses have figured him out and Hill can't adjust his game, then it's time to get Smith out there. Smith brings his own set of strengths and weaknesses, but when you don't have an oline it's best to go with the mobile guy who can make throws (when he's healthy of course).

With this oline, Smith might be more productive than Hill.

how easy it is for some to forget how "mobile" Alex used to be....don't yall remember when he would run backwards...instead of stepping up or even just tucking the ball down and running for positive yardage.... you guys don't remember when he used to leave the pocket too early and would bump into his own lineman....

and for those who keep saying Hill had 4 horrible games... HA! you are some sad sad individuals.... seriously....you sound soooo desperate to find anything, but it doesn't hold up........so sad..... its as if you don't know what the hell you are talking about....and just pull BS out of your behinds.

again 4 horrible games and 1 horrible horrible game??? really.... and its always the same 5-6 posters....have fun with the season.....at least you have each other to cry to.

I'm bashing Hill? You obviously do not comprehend my speech.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Can Smith be any worse than Hill at this point? I know he's not very accurate, but at least he can throw a spiral, unlike Hill who throws nothing but wounded ducks.
Quack. Quack. Quack.
Originally posted by Squirrel:
Quack. Quack. Quack.

Originally posted by 49ers1fan1982:
Originally posted by Squirrel:
Quack. Quack. Quack.

I've been calling him Captain Wounded Duck, but I think I might change it to something more like Shaun Quacksalot.
Share 49ersWebzone