There are 78 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Arguments for Alex Smith and Shaun Hill to Start

Originally posted by WestCoast:
Is there a definitive answer on why Alex Smith is staying to work out with Crabs and not Hill??

I know they said he's "sore', but why is he leaving?

smith has good work ethic, always has! But it isnt the norm for people to stay behind! Sometimes a break is what a player will need to come back fresh for the rest of the season! I'm impressed with the players staying back, but players leaving is also fine with me! If anything I'd wish a starting WR would stay behind to help crabby
In my opinion, I think Alex Smith deserves another shot as the starting QB of the San Francisco 49ers. The only reason he lost it in the first place was due to injury. Coming off the 2006 season, Alex looked like he was turning the corner and becoming the franchise QB we were looking for. Then, after beginning the 2007 season 2-1, Alex injured his shoulder and hasn't played healthy since.

We had heard reports this summer that Alex was now healthy, and had looked better than he ever has since being drafted in 2005. The QB battle between Hill and Smith went down to the wire. Right before Game 3, Shaun Hill was named the starter. (as we know)

I seem to think Shaun Hill was named the starter by default. I think the decision would've come down to Game 3 if Alex had not injured his finger! Up to that point, I considered the QB battle as a draw, with Game 3 being the deciding factor (but that never happened).

Alex was beginning to show an improved pocket presence. He is obviously more atheletic, throws a better deep ball, and has all of the measurables you look for in a QB! I think Alex Smith should get another opportunity to start. I believe Alex can be a good QB, he just needs some time to get the rust off. The more he plays the better he'll get. Don't you think its odd that all we hear about is Michael Crabtree asking Alex questions? Hanging out with Alex. Shouldn't Crabtree be developing a rappour with Shaun Hill?

Wow Hill felt "a little sore" so he didnt practice...what a leader
Originally posted by PTulini:
In my opinion, I think Alex Smith deserves another shot as the starting QB of the San Francisco 49ers. The only reason he lost it in the first place was due to injury. Coming off the 2006 season, Alex looked like he was turning the corner and becoming the franchise QB we were looking for. Then, after beginning the 2007 season 2-1, Alex injured his shoulder and hasn't played healthy since.

We had heard reports this summer that Alex was now healthy, and had looked better than he ever has since being drafted in 2005. The QB battle between Hill and Smith went down to the wire. Right before Game 3, Shaun Hill was named the starter. (as we know)

I seem to think Shaun Hill was named the starter by default. I think the decision would've come down to Game 3 if Alex had not injured his finger! Up to that point, I considered the QB battle as a draw, with Game 3 being the deciding factor (but that never happened).

Alex was beginning to show an improved pocket presence. He is obviously more atheletic, throws a better deep ball, and has all of the measurables you look for in a QB! I think Alex Smith should get another opportunity to start. I believe Alex can be a good QB, he just needs some time to get the rust off. The more he plays the better he'll get. Don't you think its odd that all we hear about is Michael Crabtree asking Alex questions? Hanging out with Alex. Shouldn't Crabtree be developing a rappour with Shaun Hill?

I believe the Brass wanted Smith to win the off-season competition. I also think it's a possibility they want him to somehow take over for Hill and succeed. One thing I do know is the playcalling will change if/when Smith takes over. Whether he does well or not, who knows? No one on here knows for sure, that much is true.

First thing is get the damn o-line fixed and go from there.
  • da209
  • Veteran

WOW!!!!!! couldn't of said it any better.!!!! Alex was looking good after he has missed 2 years of football! i also agree if it wasn't for the finger injury , he wouldv showed he worthy of starting again.
Question: Is Hill being “a little sore” similar to his arm needing some rest last training camp? Or am I reading too much into this situation and he really did need a break?

My response: There's no QB controversy in Singletary's mind. Shaun Hill is the starter. If there were any doubt, he would have found some play time for Smith in the blowout loss to the Falcons.

There were few complaints about Hill's play in the first four games. If Singletary is ready to make changes based on the Falcons game, probably Shawntae Spencer and Patrick Willis would be the only players to remain as starters.

-Matt Maioccos Blog
  • Blitz
  • Veteran
I'm going to start a thread with the title:

"Arguments for bringing back Huard to start."

Lol you're the king of the standard 3-5 paragraph essay. You state a thesis and give 2-4 concrete pieces of evidence to support your thesis and end with a conclusion wrapping up your overall argument.

Anyway well said and while I agree Smith can start I also don't think Hill should be benched. 2 or 3 shtty games?Then yes.
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:

Lol you're the king of the standard 3-5 paragraph essay. You state a thesis and give 2-4 concrete pieces of evidence to support your thesis and end with a conclusion wrapping up your overall argument.

Anyway well said and while I agree Smith can start I also don't think Hill should be benched. 2 or 3 shtty games?Then yes.

I can't help it, I'm used to needing to support my argument in college when writing papers and doing speeches. While I'm not saying right now, I do think if Shaun Hill does begin to play poorly, Coach Singletary will not hesitate to pull the trigger. By season's end, we need to know where we stand. Its obvious to me that this organization does not think Shaun is the answer.

Already been 5 s**tty games. Do you mean 2 or 3 MORE?
Alex Smith's stats are his only real plague. People look at it and see he threw one TD and eleven interceptions his rookie season and come to the conclusion that he sucks and that he's inaccurate. I wish I had all the video on Alex Smith so I could show people just how unlucky he's been over the coarse of his career while on the football field.

I can't help it, I'm used to needing to support my argument in college when writing papers and doing speeches. While I'm not saying right now, I do think if Shaun Hill does begin to play poorly, Coach Singletary will not hesitate to pull the trigger. By season's end, we need to know where we stand. Its obvious to me that this organization does not think Shaun is the answer.

See I agree with PTulini, and I am sick of Hill because I was ready to throw him out of a window before he had that 8 minute drive. He had been missing guys all game, guys that were wide open. Not much really changed in the last few games, there had been a little good and a lot of mediocre/bad play but because the defense had us winning people were looking at the 1 or 2 good drives per game and saying "ZOMG DUDE IS SOOO CLUTCH" instead of looking at the 8 or 9 punts, and th 3 and outs.
Originally posted by dobophile:

Montana should start. He's still got some gas left in the tank and I don't think Young is ready to take over just yet.
All you got to do is watch the film on Smith in 06 and watch film of Hill now and you will absolutely agree that Smith is the guy that should be starting. WATCH THE FILM... It doesn't lie. Smith is so much better than Hill but hey, the film will tell you that.
Hill gets odd quarters on even weeks, Alex get odd quarters on odd weeks.

Problem Solved