There are 278 users in the forums

Arguments for Alex Smith and Shaun Hill to Start

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by maximill15:
Originally posted by pd24:
Originally posted by ninertico:
Nope, no Alex starter epiphanies for Coach Sing.

Again, Hill has made plays even when the duck come flying out. He's been able to engineer drives and make plays. Sure, not every time, but enough to place us in a situation to win.
WTF is wrong with that Alex supporters??? Our QB is Shaun Hill!

Get over it.

Brought to you by: Nabisco, Bank of America, a pro-Alex fan, and the number 5!

Alex stayed to help Crabtree acclimate to the offense quickly. He's just a high character guy whose selflessness punctuates what it is to be a teammate. Seriously, cool!

I really had hoped Hill would stay, but I am sure that dude needs a break. Hey, some do and some don't. I just like the fact that Alex took initiative and stayed.

MD's great post says it succinctly. Good job

Based on the few media snippets it looks like this is still Hill's team so lets move on...um k?

Not really. If you are in the bottom of the NFL in 3rd down % and one of the worst teams on O, that means the job is not getting done. When the L's pile up because the D doesn't score and the O is only scoring 10 to 14 points a game, a change will be made. Hill will not start every game this season. If he does, throw this in my face and let me know about it.

WTH you mean "not really"? And I wasn't arguing the point of our offensive team's performance. I was saying that Hill makes plays.

So the TD passes to Vernon were not "plays" by Hill?
The first downs generated during our fourth quarter come backs at AZ and Minny were not plays either?

C'mon now.

Again, I didn't say Hill does it all the time, but he does make plays on occassion. And on occassion, Hill brings us back from deficits not only this year, but last year too.

So I don't get the "not really" comment, but you are entitled to your interpretation.

As far as the offense, that's another thread to bombard.

He is the reason the offense sucks. Teams know he can't really throw and are willing to give him the 4 or 5 plays that he makes a game and 1 TD he may throw. They put 8 and 9 in the box and tell hill to beat them. Hill is far from the reason we won 3 games.

when your run game averages 2 yards a clip, it sets everything up for failure! Oline is the cause for most of the struggles, not Hill!

A.) Who's run game averages 2 ypc? (not ours)

B.) We stopped Adrian Peterson cold. It's not hard to shut down another team's running game, no matter how good, if that's all you're concentrating on. Other teams are keying on our running game since the opening snap of the season and will continue to do so BECAUSE we have not used the pass to make anyone pay for doing it. Not the other way around.
Originally posted by Gavintech:

Again, Hill has made plays even when the duck come flying out. He's been able to engineer drives and make plays. Sure, not every time, but enough to place us in a situation to win.

Get over it.

Alex stayed to help Crabtree acclimate to the offense quickly. He's just a high character guy whose selflessness punctuates what it is to be a teammate. Seriously, cool!

I really had hoped Hill would stay, but I am sure that dude needs a break. Hey, some do and some don't. I just like the fact that Alex took initiative and stayed.

Based on the few media snippets it looks like this is still Hill's team so lets move on...um k?

Not really. If you are in the bottom of the NFL in 3rd down % and one of the worst teams on O, that means the job is not getting done. When the L's pile up because the D doesn't score and the O is only scoring 10 to 14 points a game, a change will be made. Hill will not start every game this season. If he does, throw this in my face and let me know about it.

WTH you mean "not really"? And I wasn't arguing the point of our offensive team's performance. I was saying that Hill makes plays.

The first downs generated during our fourth quarter come backs at AZ and Minny were not plays either?

C'mon now.

Again, I didn't say Hill does it all the time, but he does make plays on occassion. And on occassion, Hill brings us back from deficits not only this year, but last year too.

So I don't get the "not really" comment, but you are entitled to your interpretation.

He is the reason the offense sucks. Teams know he can't really throw and are willing to give him the 4 or 5 plays that he makes a game and 1 TD he may throw. They put 8 and 9 in the box and tell hill to beat them. Hill is far from the reason we won 3 games.

when your run game averages 2 yards a clip, it sets everything up for failure! Oline is the cause for most of the struggles, not Hill!

B.) We stopped Adrian Peterson cold. It's not hard to shut down another team's running game, no matter how good, if that's all you're concentrating on. Other teams are keying on our running game since the opening snap of the season and will continue to do so BECAUSE we have not used the pass to make anyone pay for doing it. Not the other way around.

Take out Gore's two long runs and I bet it isn't much more than 2 yards a carry. Last week ATL was stopping us with 6 men in the box. There is no denying that this OLine is the cause of the struggles.
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ION2814:
Originally posted by dobophile:

This makes me sad.

not me...I have fond memories of these 2.
Originally posted by Gavintech:

Get over it.

C'mon now.

gleen coffe is avg. is 2.6!
Our O-Line Sucks. We need to put Alex in just to see what happens. Like I said before, he can't do worse than Hill.
Originally posted by brhokla:
Our O-Line Sucks. We need to put Alex in just to see what happens. Like I said before, he can't do worse than Hill.

Because our O-line sucks we should put in a QB that tends to throw the ball long or to the other team, if he doesn't get hit and fumbles it
Is there a definitive answer on why Alex Smith is staying to work out with Crabs and not Hill??

I know they said he's "sore', but why is he leaving?
I am a little disappointed in Hill's pocket presence this season, compared to Smith it's not better.
Originally posted by Nes49:
Originally posted by ION2814:
Originally posted by dobophile:

This makes me sad.

not me...I have fond memories of these 2.

Yo Nes.

I suppose those guys were pretty decent.
Originally posted by WestCoast:
Is there a definitive answer on why Alex Smith is staying to work out with Crabs and not Hill??

I know they said he's "sore', but why is he leaving?

smith has good work ethic, always has! But it isnt the norm for people to stay behind! Sometimes a break is what a player will need to come back fresh for the rest of the season! I'm impressed with the players staying back, but players leaving is also fine with me! If anything I'd wish a starting WR would stay behind to help crabby

In my opinion, I think Alex Smith deserves another shot as the starting QB of the San Francisco 49ers. The only reason he lost it in the first place was due to injury. Coming off the 2006 season, Alex looked like he was turning the corner and becoming the franchise QB we were looking for. Then, after beginning the 2007 season 2-1, Alex injured his shoulder and hasn't played healthy since.

We had heard reports this summer that Alex was now healthy, and had looked better than he ever has since being drafted in 2005. The QB battle between Hill and Smith went down to the wire. Right before Game 3, Shaun Hill was named the starter. (as we know)

I seem to think Shaun Hill was named the starter by default. I think the decision would've come down to Game 3 if Alex had not injured his finger! Up to that point, I considered the QB battle as a draw, with Game 3 being the deciding factor (but that never happened).

Alex was beginning to show an improved pocket presence. He is obviously more atheletic, throws a better deep ball, and has all of the measurables you look for in a QB! I think Alex Smith should get another opportunity to start. I believe Alex can be a good QB, he just needs some time to get the rust off. The more he plays the better he'll get. Don't you think its odd that all we hear about is Michael Crabtree asking Alex questions? Hanging out with Alex. Shouldn't Crabtree be developing a rappour with Shaun Hill?

Wow Hill felt "a little sore" so he didnt practice...what a leader
Originally posted by PTulini:
In my opinion, I think Alex Smith deserves another shot as the starting QB of the San Francisco 49ers. The only reason he lost it in the first place was due to injury. Coming off the 2006 season, Alex looked like he was turning the corner and becoming the franchise QB we were looking for. Then, after beginning the 2007 season 2-1, Alex injured his shoulder and hasn't played healthy since.

We had heard reports this summer that Alex was now healthy, and had looked better than he ever has since being drafted in 2005. The QB battle between Hill and Smith went down to the wire. Right before Game 3, Shaun Hill was named the starter. (as we know)

I seem to think Shaun Hill was named the starter by default. I think the decision would've come down to Game 3 if Alex had not injured his finger! Up to that point, I considered the QB battle as a draw, with Game 3 being the deciding factor (but that never happened).

Alex was beginning to show an improved pocket presence. He is obviously more atheletic, throws a better deep ball, and has all of the measurables you look for in a QB! I think Alex Smith should get another opportunity to start. I believe Alex can be a good QB, he just needs some time to get the rust off. The more he plays the better he'll get. Don't you think its odd that all we hear about is Michael Crabtree asking Alex questions? Hanging out with Alex. Shouldn't Crabtree be developing a rappour with Shaun Hill?

I believe the Brass wanted Smith to win the off-season competition. I also think it's a possibility they want him to somehow take over for Hill and succeed. One thing I do know is the playcalling will change if/when Smith takes over. Whether he does well or not, who knows? No one on here knows for sure, that much is true.

First thing is get the damn o-line fixed and go from there.
  • da209
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PTulini:

WOW!!!!!! couldn't of said it any better.!!!! Alex was looking good after he has missed 2 years of football! i also agree if it wasn't for the finger injury , he wouldv showed he worthy of starting again.
Question: Is Hill being “a little sore” similar to his arm needing some rest last training camp? Or am I reading too much into this situation and he really did need a break?

My response: There's no QB controversy in Singletary's mind. Shaun Hill is the starter. If there were any doubt, he would have found some play time for Smith in the blowout loss to the Falcons.

There were few complaints about Hill's play in the first four games. If Singletary is ready to make changes based on the Falcons game, probably Shawntae Spencer and Patrick Willis would be the only players to remain as starters.

-Matt Maioccos Blog
Share 49ersWebzone