LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 139 users in the forums

How Often does P.Willis Blitz?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by UCSBpv20:
Man how long do we have to run the 3-4 before people keep thinking we should go back to a 4-3 defense. I know we don't have a true nose tackle but why change the positions of 6 other players to make up for one spot. We even ran the 4-3 under Nolan sometimes and it didn't help at all. I'm just waiting for someone to say we should run the 5-2, 4-6 or the Tampa two while explaining how are players will magically perform better and are just perfect for this new system. We are now a 3-4 team and almost all of our players were brought in specifically to play in it. Last year we even performed quite well but still more of this 4-3 nonsense. I bet even if we were #1 in D there would still be these 4-3 posts.

Could be true bout the complainning but I doubt it. With the number 1 d everyone would be stoked wit the 3-4 and would have no problems. The focus would be turned to the offense and special teams. Or a player or a coach etc etc??

Could be wrong tho
more often please
Patrick Willis is like an electron, he can be in two places at the same time!
not enough i think we would even be more effective if they would let Willis hit the QB's right in their mouth a few more times wouldnt hurt
Probably not as much with Spikes being responsible for the middle of the field. Way to early to say this BUT if Bowman can develop at ILB, showing good range and speed, then we may be able to get away with blitzing Willis more.
the right amount. If Manusky weren't using him right, he wouldn't be the stat monster he currently is.
if he starts blitzing more, it will become a fantasy football strategy to also draft back up QBs as a handcuff
I don't think he is sent on bltz that often because he covers so much range and is such a sure tackler that others are sent on bltz and he makes sure that if their blitz are exploited that they don't suffer too much.
Originally posted by darkknight49:

You calling Willis small???
Originally posted by darkknight49:

lol I think he's more like a black hole, he crushes you into oblivion and you never even see him!

• flow
  • Veteran
Too often for Brett Favre:

• fryet
  • Veteran
I think Nolan talked about this a few years back. When you send Willis on a blitz, the blitz can be nullified based on the play call of the offense. If the offense calls the correct play, you have just taken your best player off the field. On the other hand, if you let Willis react to the play as a MLB should, he can flow to where the ball is going, and be involved in many more plays.
Originally posted by fryet:
I think Nolan talked about this a few years back. When you send Willis on a blitz, the blitz can be nullified based on the play call of the offense. If the offense calls the correct play, you have just taken your best player off the field. On the other hand, if you let Willis react to the play as a MLB should, he can flow to where the ball is going, and be involved in many more plays.

this
Play a 4-1-6 prevent defense, Boom problem solved, and then we only need to keep 1 LB on the roster who blitzes every play and then we can keep Bruce Davis, Tukuafu, Boone, Sims, Taylor, and Adams on the roster. Championship!

or we could just stick to the f*cking plan and be a top 5 scoring defense like last year.
I think Willis blitzes more and more every year. His rookie year I don't think we sent him more than once a game if not once every 2-3 games. He does a good job of getting to the QB and could have a lot more sacks if we blitzed him more but we probably don't want to lose our general in the middle of the field. If he blitzes he's not in the middle of the field patrolling. A lot of times he gets to the QB... I don't know the exact number but I'd say we do it 3-4 times a game maybe.
Share 49ersWebzone