There are 230 users in the forums

How do you teach "tough minded football" ?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by singfan:
Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Originally posted by Sabrason:
Originally posted by jsaniner:
Originally posted by BrodieFan:
Hey Jsaniner: you're absolutely correct. They're the same troll.

Well, thanks for mentioning me, but to be accurate, I never said they were the same person and I don't believe they are. As for being trolls, who knows, but I doubt it.

What they do have in common is the belief Singletary is just an extension of Nolan, which I strongly disagree with. Singletary has shown the willingness to change tactics on offense and defense and I think the team will respond to his more forceful and demanding personality. They say because he coached under Nolan he is just a clone, but that does not necessarily follow. Each coach has his own way of doing things that are not revealed until he assumes control.

The test will come this season. Singfan is on record as saying he expects a 4-12 season and 7-9 would be a miracle. I would like to go on record by predicting 10-6. The dispute will be settled on the field of battle, on the turf of Candlestick and eight other fields across America, as it should be.

I consider a 10-6 record the bare minimum that MS has to accomplish for me to consider stating that I was wrong about him. After all, if he's the motivational wizard you supporters claim he is and since he managed to get a 7-9 record in 9 games as interim HC, then 3 more wins as full-time HC over an entire season is a very reasonable expectation. Anything less and I'll call Holmgren (or Shanny) myself. Get the contract ready, Jed!!

PS: Amazing that I've been a member of this forum FAAAARR longer than any of you yet I'm routinely called a "troll." Some nerve.

So at 10-6 you'd merely "consider" stating you were wrong about Singletary? Sounds about right.

At any rate, regardless of what fans are screaming for, I think he's more than safe at anything north of 7-9.

This is what we have come to embrace. With all the available coaches out there, we think 7-9 is perfectly acceptable and worth another year.

And so, if we go 7-9 this year fire Singletary and bring a big name retread coach like Shanahan, and he goes 7-9 in his first full season, do we fire him? Gimme a break, if you think any fan or anyone in the organization is embracing mediocrity, please put down the crack pipe.

This is why they never, ever, should have given Sing 4yrs., and 10 million. Who in the hell thought that was appropriate? Two years and a club option for a third gives you a chance to get the hell out after one year when Sing proves he is nothing more than an interim. If the hiring wasn't ridiculous enough, the contract was even more ridiculous. Just another gift from Paraag.

Ultimately though, this is on Scot and his insecure self. He didn't want to bring in a a guy that would be a threat to him. Sing made perfect sense because he was a gift from the PR Gods and wouldn't be a threat to anybody but under achieving tight ends. Scot couldn't stand up to another big ego. He was a lip quivering water boy for Nolan. Imagine what he would be if a guy like Shanahan was around?

We have to begin fixing the franchise. It starts by showing Sing and McCloughan the door right now. There is no need to wait. Just another year wasted if we don't. Trust me, this move will save the 1000's of, " Keep Sing, they may be losers but they were tough" threads that will undoubtedly be on here by the end of December.

Could you possibly be more ridiculous than that last paragraph?I mean come on now,that is just dumb as dirt.You have absolutely no way of knowing if Singletary is gonna be a good coach or not until he coaches a season.Your idea to try and replace him now is about as stupid of an idea as I have ever seen posted on these boards,even on top of the idea of using our top pick to return kicks or moving VD to OLB or LT.We all get it by now,you do not like the Singletary hire,but to think we could replace him at this point in the off season is about the most mentally challenged idea ever posted here by you.It shows to all that your tenuous grip on reality is slipping.Please think before you post so you do not embarrass yourself (or other niner fans)like this anymore...do it for us...but mostly do it for yourself.

Well, thanks for mentioning me, but to be accurate, I never said they were the same person and I don't believe they are. As for being trolls, who knows, but I doubt it.

What they do have in common is the belief Singletary is just an extension of Nolan, which I strongly disagree with. Singletary has shown the willingness to change tactics on offense and defense and I think the team will respond to his more forceful and demanding personality. They say because he coached under Nolan he is just a clone, but that does not necessarily follow. Each coach has his own way of doing things that are not revealed until he assumes control.

The test will come this season. Singfan is on record as saying he expects a 4-12 season and 7-9 would be a miracle. I would like to go on record by predicting 10-6. The dispute will be settled on the field of battle, on the turf of Candlestick and eight other fields across America, as it should be.

I consider a 10-6 record the bare minimum that MS has to accomplish for me to consider stating that I was wrong about him. After all, if he's the motivational wizard you supporters claim he is and since he managed to get a 7-9 record in 9 games as interim HC, then 3 more wins as full-time HC over an entire season is a very reasonable expectation. Anything less and I'll call Holmgren (or Shanny) myself. Get the contract ready, Jed!!

PS: Amazing that I've been a member of this forum FAAAARR longer than any of you yet I'm routinely called a "troll." Some nerve.

So at 10-6 you'd merely "consider" stating you were wrong about Singletary? Sounds about right.

At any rate, regardless of what fans are screaming for, I think he's more than safe at anything north of 7-9.

And that is precisely the problem because, as several fans here have previously stated, there are numerous teams that hover around the 7-9/8-8 mark for years and never improve. That's why it's got to be at least 10-6 for me. Let MS show me how good you supporters think he is and, if he does, I'll become a believer.

This is what we have come to embrace. With all the available coaches out there, we think 7-9 is perfectly acceptable and worth another year.

Exactly, and it makes me sick yet we're ridiculed for holding the team to a higher standard, expecting more and criticizing clearly inferior coaches who we believe can not deliver better??

We went from "SB or bust" to 7-9/8-8 earns a coach another year. Wow. Even if Jed and MS came out and said "SB or bust" and then the team proceeded to go 0-16 I'd have to at least admire their winning expectation and attitude. Instead, the "motivator" claims he has a playoff-caliber team in June when he doesn't even know who his starting qb is. Bravo MS -- Walsh would be proud.

It's bad enough that the dysfunctional ownership has accepted this mediocrity for years but to see so many fans here so matter-of-fact and ho-hum about it is very sad. I've mentioned the fallen expectations of a portion of the fan base and this is why.
[ Edited by Sabrason on Jul 12, 2009 at 11:03 PM ]

And that is precisely the problem because, as several fans here have previously stated, there are numerous teams that hover around the 7-9/8-8 mark for years and never improve. That's why it's got to be at least 10-6 for me. Let MS show me how good you supporters think he is and, if he does, I'll become a believer.

Well I'll pray for my sanity's sake that we go 11-5 to ensure that Sing wins you over. Most of us know what you think will happen.

Exactly, and it makes me sick yet we're ridiculed for holding the team to a higher standard, expecting more and criticizing clearly inferior coaches who we believe can not deliver better??

We went from "SB or bust" to 7-9/8-8 earns a coach another year. Wow. Even if Jed and MS came out and said "SB or bust" and then the team proceeded to go 0-16 I'd have to at least admire their winning expectation and attitude. Instead, the "motivator" claims he has a playoff-caliber team in June when he doesn't even know who his starting qb is. Bravo MS -- Walsh would be proud.

It's bad enough that the dysfunctional ownership has accepted this mediocrity for years but to see so many fans here so matter-of-fact and ho-hum about it is very sad. I've mentioned the fallen expectations of a portion of the fan base and this is why.

Beautifully written. A complete and accurate description regarding the state of our franchise and the state of our fan base. A must read for all Noob's and Parking Lotters!

5 stars

~singfan

Well I'll pray for my sanity's sake that we go 11-5 to ensure that Sing wins you over. Most of us know what you think will happen.

I'll be praying also. Out of curiosity, you think MS is "more than safe at anything north of 7-9" but do you think he SHOULD be safe or "more than" safe at 8-8 or 9-7 and, if so, for how long? Where's your cut-off before you call for his head on a stick?

If I understand you correctly, MS goes 5-4 (a winning record for him) as an interim, has a full off-season with the team to implement HIS philosophy with HIS coaches as full-time HC and proceeds to orchestrate a losing record at 7-9 and you think his job security is not only safe, but MORE THAN safe??? Wow....do you have a problem with that or do you agree that he should be MORE THAN safe with that kind of performance?

See, in my world of accountability, with all his ranting, raving, and professing about his supposed "philosophy" and claims of having a playoff-caliber team in June despite not knowing who his starting qb is, if all he could end up accomplishing was 7-9 or 8-8 he'd be no where NEAR safe and certainly not "more than" safe. He'd be placed on coaching "probation" for the following year and be required to finish at least 10-6 or face the unemployment line! That's if I didn't fire him immediately. But that's me.
[ Edited by Sabrason on Jul 13, 2009 at 12:07 AM ]
Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:

And so, if we go 7-9 this year fire Singletary and bring a big name retread coach like Shanahan, and he goes 7-9 in his first full season, do we fire him? Gimme a break, if you think any fan or anyone in the organization is embracing mediocrity, please put down the crack pipe.

PA, as a veteran, you surprise and disappoint me. I could understand your problem with Martz b/c of the "7 step drops" etc (despite him orchestrating the best offense since 2003) since isolated details always outweigh overall improvement, b/c he's a former Ram and had no previous history with the niners.

However, you're now openly mocking and demeaning another proven winner but, more importantly, a former 49er coach like Shanahan while siding with an unproven, inexperienced and grossly unqualified know-nothing of a coach (by comparison at least) and former Bear who has no history with or ties to the 49ers or the philosophies that once made them great nor does he share them now.

Therefore, I really have to question where your overall loyalty lies given your statement. More importantly, I'm left wondering who you WOULDN'T consider a "retread" if they were hired by the 49ers again...Holmgren, Dennis Green, Rhodes, Siefert ...Walsh (RIP)??? Was Walsh a "retread" when they brought him back as a consultant?? If the Young/Jones group purchased the team would you consider them "retreads?" Does looking to the successful past for answers mean "retreading"? Where does your "retread" label end?
[ Edited by Sabrason on Jul 13, 2009 at 12:28 AM ]

Beautifully written. A complete and accurate description regarding the state of our franchise and the state of our fan base. A must read for all Noob's and Parking Lotters!

5 stars

~singfan

We should all stand in awe of your high standards and lofty expectations and recognize that we're all better Niner fans for being exposed to your greatness . . . yeah . . .

For the record, north of 7-9 means 8-8 or better.

I've been a Niner fan long enough to have a reference before and after the Superbowl runs of the 80's and 90's with which to compare. So I have, IMO, a very good idea of what championship caliber football looks and smells like.

It explains much if you're clinging to the standards set by Walsh. I hate to break it to you, but the Superbowl or bust mentality of the 80's and 90's which took 5 or 6 years to develop through consistent winning and playoff appearances is long gone.

That doesn't mean the franchise or the fan base have accepted mediocrity. It means that the expectation of success needs to be rebuilt from the bottom - up, again through consistent winning and playoff appearances. This team is young and building, and tangible improvement towards creating a new Superbowl or bust mentality should not be dismissed (or abandoned) simply because it wasn't enough of an improvement in the eyes of some or because the coach is a former Bear . . .

Anything north of 7-9 would be the best record here since 2002, so I'd be OK with 8-8, depending somewhat on how they reach that 8-8. If we show regression and luck into 8-8 I might have a different opinion. Tangible improvement is what I want to see.

5 stars

~singfan

We should all stand in awe of your high standards and lofty expectations and recognize that we're all better Niner fans for being exposed to your greatness . . . yeah . . .

I've been a Niner fan long enough to have a reference before and after the Superbowl runs of the 80's and 90's with which to compare. So I have, IMO, a very good idea of what championship caliber football looks and smells like.

It explains much if you're clinging to the standards set by Walsh. I hate to break it to you, but the Superbowl or bust mentality of the 80's and 90's which took 5 or 6 years to develop through consistent winning and playoff appearances is long gone.

That doesn't mean the franchise or the fan base have accepted mediocrity. It means that the expectation of success needs to be rebuilt from the bottom - up, again through consistent winning and playoff appearances. This team is young and building, and tangible improvement towards creating a new Superbowl or bust mentality should not be dismissed (or abandoned) simply because it wasn't enough of an improvement in the eyes of some or because the coach is a former Bear . . .

Anything north of 7-9 would be the best record here since 2002, so I'd be OK with 8-8, depending somewhat on how they reach that 8-8. If we show regression and luck into 8-8 I might have a different opinion. Tangible improvement is what I want to see.

Reading comprehension is not one of his strong points,especially when he is trying to spin your statements to make his weak argument appear credible.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

5 stars

~singfan

Reading comprehension is not one of his strong points,especially when he is trying to spin your statements to make his weak argument appear credible.

Ummm, from his original post. It reads that Sing is "more than safe at anything north of 7-9." If that's the standard to be "more than safe", would he not be safe at 7-9? He didn't say Sing would just "be safe" at anything north of 7-9. He said "more than safe." So, where is he "just safe" and not "more than safe." I think he's changed his tune after getting called on it. I'm guessing that his original "safe" cutoff was 6-10. Sabrason and I have caused him to raise his expectations as a fan. We should be thanked.

Originally posted by Memphis9er:

5 stars

~singfan

Ummm, from his original post. It reads that Sing is "more than safe at anything north of 7-9." If that's the standard to be "more than safe", would he not be safe at 7-9? He didn't say Sing would just "be safe" at anything north of 7-9. He said "more than safe." So, where is he "just safe" and not "more than safe." I think he's changed his tune after getting called on it. I'm guessing that his original "safe" cutoff was 6-10. Sabrason and I have caused him to raise his expectations as a fan. We should be thanked.

Go ahead and explain the meaning of what I didn't post if you feel the need. It makes no difference. The tag-team tirade over fallen standards caused me to clarify my expectations.

I'm SINGing the same tune.
how do you teach tough minded football??

well it all starts with the coach!

• WestCoastNut
  • Info N/A
how has Shanahan and holgrim been doing lately, doc?

If I had a nickel for every thread I've seen get locked because of these two....and the OP actually had an original thought. Tisk tisk...

5 stars

~singfan

See, that's a problem for me. The fact that you'd be "OK with 8-8" given ANY way in which they got there does not help the cause and is an example of the fallen expectation I've mentioned previously. It serves no purpose.

If the dysfunctional ownership wants to be "OK with 8-8" or something close to that then so be it b/c we can't control what Jed considers to be "ok" but, as a fan, you have the ability to NEVER be "ok with 8-8" and therefore you shouldn't be. Raise your standards for the team and expect more.
[ Edited by Sabrason on Jul 13, 2009 at 11:41 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone