LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 233 users in the forums

How do you teach "tough minded football" ?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Sabrason:
Originally posted by singfan:
Originally posted by jsaniner:
Originally posted by SanFranAddic:
"Tough minded football" sure sounds good, doesn't it? It's a phrase that people will buy into right away without stopping to actually consider what the hell it means. Sing comes in here and throws around phrases like that and "physical with an F" in order to create buy-in. He's a motivational speaker, He's going to say what he thinks you need to hear. What you need to do is pay attention to his actual football moves. When you dispense with all the hot air, you're going to find that he hasn't done one impressive thing yet. His hires have been borderline atrocious. His handling of the recent OTA's was over the top ridiculous.

"Tough minded football", wow, what team doesn't want to be tough? Seriously, this is the NFL. Being tough is a basic requirement of NFL existence, it's not a unique philosophy that Sing just invented. "Tough minded football" is just a smokescreen that provides cover for absolute organizational randomness.

Are you going to stop this BS if/when they start winning? Or do we have to listen to this crap for the whole season? I have to say, I'm tired of it already.

I do not think of it as BS really. I guess, if Sing is somehow successful, then I will have to stand up like a man and say I was wrong. That is how I role. With integrity, responsibility and, most of all, big balls.

There are certainly a couple of other paths I could take. There are a few examples that I can think of regarding former Nolan supporters that chose to not acknowledge their past allegiance to him. Those that think everybody has somehow forgotten what they once stood for. Let me tell you something right now. Singfan will never, ever, go out like that. I just don't find it respectable. I can take my lumps, I will not hide.

I think the correct spelling is roll , as 'roll with the punch' or 'roll out the barrel'. Role refers to a part in a play. Back to remedial English for you my friend. Your knowledge of the language is on a par with....well, you know.

You would be correct. Score one for jsaniner.... it's been a long time coming for you.

See, this is how you man up and admit that you were wrong. I didn't dodge this or make excuses. Where are the former Nolan dudes at?

I love how the supporters will resort to attacking someone's spelling when they have nothing legitimate to come back with? Stop the nonsense. This isn't English class and a lot of people in here are very informal and don't go nuts worrying about the correct spelling of EVERY SINGLE WORD nevermind the fact that when typing quickly wrong keys can be hit, etc. I've seen a ton of incorrect spelling but don't go crying about it. Get over it.

Since you're apparently so concerned with spelling, I assume yoo sent a letter to 49ers headquarters requesting clarification of MS's bizarre "Physical with an F" comment, right? Personally, I would love to know under what circumstances MS considers it appropriate to spell physical with an F so keep me posted.

No score for JSAniner for calling out unimportant, unrelated nonsense.

You nitpicked one of my previous posts saying I had too much time on my hands. Well, you spent three paragraphs saying my correction of Singfan's english was not relevant. So who has too much time on his hands?

At least Singfan was gracious in admitting his error. Of course it wasn't that important, but can't we have a little fun sometimes?

For the record I was one who believed in Nolan and I was wrong. I really think Singletary is different, but I could wrong about that too.
Can tough minded football be taught? I feel that it's an intangible. You can't be taught tough minded football.
Originally posted by King49er:
"Tough minded football" sure sounds good, doesn't it? It's a phrase that people will buy into right away without stopping to actually consider what the hell it means. Sing comes in here and throws around phrases like that and "physical with an F" in order to create buy-in. He's a motivational speaker, He's going to say what he thinks you need to hear. What you need to do is pay attention to his actual football moves. When you dispense with all the hot air, you're going to find that he hasn't done one impressive thing yet. His hires have been borderline atrocious. His handling of the recent OTA's was over the top ridiculous.

"Tough minded football", wow, what team doesn't want to be tough? Seriously, this is the NFL. Being tough is a basic requirement of NFL existence, it's not a unique philosophy that Sing just invented. "Tough minded football" is just a smokescreen that provides cover for absolute organizational randomness.

Are you going to stop this BS if/when they start winning? Or do we have to listen to this crap for the whole season? I have to say, I'm tired of it already.

I do not think of it as BS really. I guess, if Sing is somehow successful, then I will have to stand up like a man and say I was wrong. That is how I role. With integrity, responsibility and, most of all, big balls.

There are certainly a couple of other paths I could take. There are a few examples that I can think of regarding former Nolan supporters that chose to not acknowledge their past allegiance to him. Those that think everybody has somehow forgotten what they once stood for. Let me tell you something right now. Singfan will never, ever, go out like that. I just don't find it respectable. I can take my lumps, I will not hide.

I think the correct spelling is roll , as 'roll with the punch' or 'roll out the barrel'. Role refers to a part in a play. Back to remedial English for you my friend. Your knowledge of the language is on a par with....well, you know.

You would be correct. Score one for jsaniner.... it's been a long time coming for you.

See, this is how you man up and admit that you were wrong. I didn't dodge this or make excuses. Where are the former Nolan dudes at?

I love how the supporters will resort to attacking someone's spelling when they have nothing legitimate to come back with? Stop the nonsense. This isn't English class and a lot of people in here are very informal and don't go nuts worrying about the correct spelling of EVERY SINGLE WORD nevermind the fact that when typing quickly wrong keys can be hit, etc. I've seen a ton of incorrect spelling but don't go crying about it. Get over it.

Since you're apparently so concerned with spelling, I assume yoo sent a letter to 49ers headquarters requesting clarification of MS's bizarre "Physical with an F" comment, right? Personally, I would love to know under what circumstances MS considers it appropriate to spell physical with an F so keep me posted.

I'm now convinced that you and singfan are the same person....

Uh, this conspiracy theory has been discussed and put to rest a long time ago so you're a little late to the party. It's quite obvious to most people that Singfan and I are not the same person. We don't even write or express ourselves in the same way which is evident throughout hundreds of our posts so it's amazing that your contention is mentioned at all.

We are simply two of many niner fans who share similar opinions about the team as difficult as that might be for you to comprehend. Besides, Singfan stated "score one" for JS and I said "no score" for him so, what did I do - come back and create an entirely new post to retract my own "score one" comment? At least try to make some sense if you're going to toss around false accusations.
[ Edited by Sabrason on Jul 9, 2009 at 11:38 PM ]

You nitpicked one of my previous posts saying I had too much time on my hands. Well, you spent three paragraphs saying my correction of Singfan's english was not relevant. So who has too much time on his hands?

At least Singfan was gracious in admitting his error. Of course it wasn't that important, but can't we have a little fun sometimes?

For the record I was one who believed in Nolan and I was wrong. I really think Singletary is different, but I could wrong about that too.

Correct, it wasn't that important and was off topic which should be a warnable offense for any member, IMO. Singfan and I take pride in staying on message and not being sucked into personal attacks and insults despite being bombarded with them on a regular basis. I guess that's why I've only been warned 3-4 times in 10 yrs here.

Well, at least you admit you have a track record of being wrong when it comes to coaches you thought would do well and your fair and balanced admission of possibly being wrong about MS is a breath of fresh air also. Can't say I've seen the same from your fellow MS supporters.

On the other hand, Singfan and I have said numerous times that we not only COULD be wrong, but we HOPE to be wrong and would welcome MS PROVING us wrong. We'll both be here singing his praises if that's the case so have no fear. That's not the position of a "hater" or fans who would rather be proven correct over their team doing well.

I was actually blindly optimistic and hopeful about both DE and Nolan (although had no idea as to whether they'd be successful or not) but after what we witnessed from the two of them, I won't make the same mistake with what I consider to be a similar-but-lesser-version-of-Nolan in MS.

As Singfan has so astutely pointed out, as an assistant HC under Nolan, MS had plenty to do with the failed teams of the last few years. Therefore, like Scotty he is not innocent -- Nolan just took the fall for them while they managed to side-step any blame -- for now. MS is a product of Nolan so to think that there's going to be some drastic positive difference now that MS is HC just b/c he's a "motivator" doesn't make much sense.
[ Edited by Sabrason on Jul 10, 2009 at 12:15 AM ]
Originally posted by backontop:
you slap the crap out of the players and when they start crying you ridicule them till they stop and play like men

Is that you Nolan?
Hey Jsaniner: you're absolutely correct. They're the same troll.
Originally posted by BrodieFan:

Well, thanks for mentioning me, but to be accurate, I never said they were the same person and I don't believe they are. As for being trolls, who knows, but I doubt it.

What they do have in common is the belief Singletary is just an extension of Nolan, which I strongly disagree with. Singletary has shown the willingness to change tactics on offense and defense and I think the team will respond to his more forceful and demanding personality. They say because he coached under Nolan he is just a clone, but that does not necessarily follow. Each coach has his own way of doing things that are not revealed until he assumes control.

The test will come this season. Singfan is on record as saying he expects a 4-12 season and 7-9 would be a miracle. I would like to go on record by predicting 10-6. The dispute will be settled on the field of battle, on the turf of Candlestick and eight other fields across America, as it should be.
Originally posted by WheresWaldo:
Can tough minded football be taught? I feel that it's an intangible. You can't be taught tough minded football.

I wouldn't consider it an intangible. It's one of the few traits that I believe isn't 100% natural, and can be taught. You start with this:

1. Make them run every play until it's executed perfectly.
2. Make them practice til they puke.
3. Make them beleive in you, and the system (which as a HOF player shouldn't be too difficult).
4. Hold every player accountable for what happens in practice, and during game time.
5. Accept no bulls**t from any player, and treat them as equals

These things, and follow up and at the end of the day by being compassionate (kind of like a father figure), and let them know that you did it all for them!
[ Edited by P-52ENFORCER on Jul 10, 2009 at 6:52 PM ]

Well, thanks for mentioning me, but to be accurate, I never said they were the same person and I don't believe they are. As for being trolls, who knows, but I doubt it.

What they do have in common is the belief Singletary is just an extension of Nolan, which I strongly disagree with. Singletary has shown the willingness to change tactics on offense and defense and I think the team will respond to his more forceful and demanding personality. They say because he coached under Nolan he is just a clone, but that does not necessarily follow. Each coach has his own way of doing things that are not revealed until he assumes control.

The test will come this season. Singfan is on record as saying he expects a 4-12 season and 7-9 would be a miracle. I would like to go on record by predicting 10-6. The dispute will be settled on the field of battle, on the turf of Candlestick and eight other fields across America, as it should be.

I consider a 10-6 record the bare minimum that MS has to accomplish for me to consider stating that I was wrong about him. After all, if he's the motivational wizard you supporters claim he is and since he managed to get a 7-9 record in 9 games as interim HC, then 3 more wins as full-time HC over an entire season is a very reasonable expectation. Anything less and I'll call Holmgren (or Shanny) myself. Get the contract ready, Jed!!

PS: Amazing that I've been a member of this forum FAAAARR longer than any of you yet I'm routinely called a "troll." Some nerve.
[ Edited by Sabrason on Jul 11, 2009 at 12:08 AM ]

I consider a 10-6 record the bare minimum that MS has to accomplish for me to claim that I was wrong about him. After all, if he's the motivational wizard you supporters claim he is and managed to get a 7-9 record in 9 games as interim HC, then 3 more wins as full-time HC over an entire season is more than a reasonable expectation. Anything less and I'll call Holmgren (or Shanny) myself. Get his contract ready, Jed!!

PS: Amazing that I've been a member of this forum FAAAARR longer than any of you yet I'm routinely called a "troll." Some nerve.

Good thing you have no say in how the franchise is run.If he has a winning season his job will be secure.Your math is all wrong man,he only coached nine games,the 7-9 record is not his record as a head coach,he is 5-4 as a head coach.I would be disappointed if we didn't at least win 9 myself(barring injuries to a key player/players).

P.S. The amount of time spent as a member of a fansite has absolutely nothing to do with your being called a troll,it is the content of your occasionally inflammatory posts that make people see you as a troll.It's a free country though,you are entitled to voice your opinion just as sure as we are free to disagree...what a wonderful land we live in.

I consider a 10-6 record the bare minimum that MS has to accomplish for me to consider stating that I was wrong about him. After all, if he's the motivational wizard you supporters claim he is and since he managed to get a 7-9 record in 9 games as interim HC, then 3 more wins as full-time HC over an entire season is a very reasonable expectation. Anything less and I'll call Holmgren (or Shanny) myself. Get the contract ready, Jed!!

So at 10-6 you'd merely "consider" stating you were wrong about Singletary? Sounds about right.

At any rate, regardless of what fans are screaming for, I think he's more than safe at anything north of 7-9.

It's very easy for people on this site to wonder if you're really a fan of this team, hence all the "troll" calling. I don't think you're a troll, because even a troll would eventually get tired of going out on a limb, continually going against the grain, and constantly getting ridiculed for an opinion. But just because I don't think you're a troll, that in no way means that I think you're right, either. About virtually anything. I mean there's objectivity, and then there's flat out negativity. I understand the the world's full of "glass half empty" people, and that's fine. It makes debating that much more interesting. It makes proving one wrong that much sweeter.

But I wonder this: When you're walking down the street sporting your Niner hat, if you even own one, and you see a Cowboy fan or a Raider fan or any other fan for that matter, do you talk smack and defend your team? Or do you just agree with them when they try and talk sh*t about the 49ers? I'm not trying to start anything here, because I can respect all Niner fan's opinions even when I wholeheartedly disagree with them, I'm simply curious.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:

So at 10-6 you'd merely "consider" stating you were wrong about Singletary? Sounds about right.

At any rate, regardless of what fans are screaming for, I think he's more than safe at anything north of 7-9.

This is what we have come to embrace. With all the available coaches out there, we think 7-9 is perfectly acceptable and worth another year.

This is what we have come to embrace. With all the available coaches out there, we think 7-9 is perfectly acceptable and worth another year.

And so, if we go 7-9 this year fire Singletary and bring a big name retread coach like Shanahan, and he goes 7-9 in his first full season, do we fire him? Gimme a break, if you think any fan or anyone in the organization is embracing mediocrity, please put down the crack pipe.
Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:

And so, if we go 7-9 this year fire Singletary and bring a big name retread coach like Shanahan, and he goes 7-9 in his first full season, do we fire him? Gimme a break, if you think any fan or anyone in the organization is embracing mediocrity, please put down the crack pipe.

This is why they never, ever, should have given Sing 4yrs., and 10 million. Who in the hell thought that was appropriate? Two years and a club option for a third gives you a chance to get the hell out after one year when Sing proves he is nothing more than an interim. If the hiring wasn't ridiculous enough, the contract was even more ridiculous. Just another gift from Paraag.

Ultimately though, this is on Scot and his insecure self. He didn't want to bring in a a guy that would be a threat to him. Sing made perfect sense because he was a gift from the PR Gods and wouldn't be a threat to anybody but under achieving tight ends. Scot couldn't stand up to another big ego. He was a lip quivering water boy for Nolan. Imagine what he would be if a guy like Shanahan was around?

We have to begin fixing the franchise. It starts by showing Sing and McCloughan the door right now. There is no need to wait. Just another year wasted if we don't. Trust me, this move will save the 1000's of, " Keep Sing, they may be losers but they were tough" threads that will undoubtedly be on here by the end of December.
[ Edited by singfan on Jul 12, 2009 at 10:38 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone