There are 209 users in the forums

How do you teach "tough minded football" ?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by jsaniner:
Originally posted by singfan:
I can picture it now. McClueless interviewing Sing for the HC position.

McCloughan: "How will you make this team better, Coach?"

Sing: "By being tough minded!"

McCloughan: "Wow, what do you plan to do"

Sing: "Be physical with an F"

McCloughan: "Wow, what's that mean?"

Sing: "We will use stiff arms and run over p***y DB's"

McCloughan: "Wow, can you sell this to the public?"

Sing: "I'm really a motivational speaker by trade."

McCloughan: "I'm moist, you're hired! Screw Holmgren."

Interviewer- Have you actually watched any 49er games?

Singfan - not really, on Sunday I watch the Cartoon Channel most of the day.

Interviewer - during the week ESPN and NFL Network have informative shows about the NFL. Do you watch those?

Singfan - are you kidding? Not when I can watch "As The World Turns".

Interviewer - there are many local sportswriters that print articles in their papers and blogs about the 49ers. Do you read them?

Singfan - articles? Blogs? You've got me there.

Interviewer - have you actually studied the careers and resumes of the 49er coaches and evaluated the quality of this years players?

Singfan - studied? Evaluated? I'm not sure what that means.

Interviewer - many on this Forum believe you are being too hard on Mike Singletary and wonder why. How do you respond?

Singfan - that's easy, THE VOICE told me.

Inteviewer - THE VOICE? What is that?

Singfan - THE VOICE came in the middle of the night and told me that an evil person by the name of Mike Singletary had been sent from a far planet to destroy the San Francisco 49ers, and that it was my calling to speak out against this evil person and prevent him from completing his terrible mission. That is why I try to warn those on the Forum of the evil this man is trying to perpetuate.

Interviewer - do you actually expect me to believe that story?

Singfan - well, it's the best I've got.

Decent effort. B-
I can picture it now. McClueless interviewing Sing for the HC position.

McCloughan: "How will you make this team better, Coach?"

Sing: "By being tough minded!"

McCloughan: "Wow, what do you plan to do"

Sing: "Be physical with an F"

McCloughan: "Wow, what's that mean?"

Sing: "We will use stiff arms and run over p***y DB's"

McCloughan: "Wow, can you sell this to the public?"

Sing: "I'm really a motivational speaker by trade."

McCloughan: "I'm moist, you're hired! Screw Holmgren."

Interviewer- Have you actually watched any 49er games?

Singfan - not really, on Sunday I watch the Cartoon Channel most of the day.

Interviewer - during the week ESPN and NFL Network have informative shows about the NFL. Do you watch those?

Singfan - are you kidding? Not when I can watch "As The World Turns".

Interviewer - there are many local sportswriters that print articles in their papers and blogs about the 49ers. Do you read them?

Singfan - articles? Blogs? You've got me there.

Interviewer - have you actually studied the careers and resumes of the 49er coaches and evaluated the quality of this years players?

Singfan - studied? Evaluated? I'm not sure what that means.

Interviewer - many on this Forum believe you are being too hard on Mike Singletary and wonder why. How do you respond?

Singfan - that's easy, THE VOICE told me.

Inteviewer - THE VOICE? What is that?

Singfan - THE VOICE came in the middle of the night and told me that an evil person by the name of Mike Singletary had been sent from a far planet to destroy the San Francisco 49ers, and that it was my calling to speak out against this evil person and prevent him from completing his terrible mission. That is why I try to warn those on the Forum of the evil this man is trying to perpetuate.

Interviewer - do you actually expect me to believe that story?

Singfan - well, it's the best I've got.

Decent effort. B-

Yeah, I thought it was kinda funny but weird that he went to that extent to respond in a question and answer format. Unfortunately, this kind of ridicule that serves no other purpose but to incite and inflame since it's directed at a specific member (mods?) is all the supporters have since they can not argue the facts and truth about MS. Decent effort though.
[ Edited by Sabrason on Jul 8, 2009 at 12:14 AM ]
Originally posted by SanFranAddic:
"Tough minded football" sure sounds good, doesn't it? It's a phrase that people will buy into right away without stopping to actually consider what the hell it means. Sing comes in here and throws around phrases like that and "physical with an F" in order to create buy-in. He's a motivational speaker, He's going to say what he thinks you need to hear. What you need to do is pay attention to his actual football moves. When you dispense with all the hot air, you're going to find that he hasn't done one impressive thing yet. His hires have been borderline atrocious. His handling of the recent OTA's was over the top ridiculous.

"Tough minded football", wow, what team doesn't want to be tough? Seriously, this is the NFL. Being tough is a basic requirement of NFL existence, it's not a unique philosophy that Sing just invented. "Tough minded football" is just a smokescreen that provides cover for absolute organizational randomness.

Are you going to stop this BS if/when they start winning? Or do we have to listen to this crap for the whole season? I have to say, I'm tired of it already.

I do not think of it as BS really. I guess, if Sing is somehow successful, then I will have to stand up like a man and say I was wrong. That is how I role. With integrity, responsibility and, most of all, big balls.

There are certainly a couple of other paths I could take. There are a few examples that I can think of regarding former Nolan supporters that chose to not acknowledge their past allegiance to him. Those that think everybody has somehow forgotten what they once stood for. Let me tell you something right now. Singfan will never, ever, go out like that. I just don't find it respectable. I can take my lumps, I will not hide.
You can teach physical skills but it is much harder, if not impossible, to teach passion.

Tough minded football comes from those who are passionate about being the best they can be. They struggle to overcome any obstacle placed in their way. They are never satisfied with their respective performances on or off the field, because they always believe they can do better.

These are the players Mike Singletary is currently identifying.

You cannot necessarily teach someone to have character. However, you can weed out those who lack it.

That is how Sing is building a tough minded football team.
Originally posted by billybonka:
you make sure Alex Smith is on the bench

HAHAHAHA
  • Antix
  • Veteran
They always say the team takes on the peronality of the coach and there's no denying Sing's toughness. I have absolutely no doubt that we'll be a tough team to beat. Hell, even last year we were tough to beat. But it doesn't matter if we're tough to beat but still lose by three every game.
Originally posted by longtime49erfan:
You can teach physical skills but it is much harder, if not impossible, to teach passion.

Tough minded football comes from those who are passionate about being the best they can be. They struggle to overcome any obstacle placed in their way. They are never satisfied with their respective performances on or off the field, because they always believe they can do better.

These are the players Mike Singletary is currently identifying.

You cannot necessarily teach someone to have character. However, you can weed out those who lack it.

That is how Sing is building a tough minded football team.

Well I'll let you know when i see justin smith on the sideline. Wait a second he should play offense too. SING WHY IS JUSTIN BEING TAKING OFF THE FIELD WHEN THE OFFENSE GOES OUT!?
"Tough minded football" sure sounds good, doesn't it? It's a phrase that people will buy into right away without stopping to actually consider what the hell it means. Sing comes in here and throws around phrases like that and "physical with an F" in order to create buy-in. He's a motivational speaker, He's going to say what he thinks you need to hear. What you need to do is pay attention to his actual football moves. When you dispense with all the hot air, you're going to find that he hasn't done one impressive thing yet. His hires have been borderline atrocious. His handling of the recent OTA's was over the top ridiculous.

"Tough minded football", wow, what team doesn't want to be tough? Seriously, this is the NFL. Being tough is a basic requirement of NFL existence, it's not a unique philosophy that Sing just invented. "Tough minded football" is just a smokescreen that provides cover for absolute organizational randomness.

Are you going to stop this BS if/when they start winning? Or do we have to listen to this crap for the whole season? I have to say, I'm tired of it already.

I do not think of it as BS really. I guess, if Sing is somehow successful, then I will have to stand up like a man and say I was wrong. That is how I role. With integrity, responsibility and, most of all, big balls.

There are certainly a couple of other paths I could take. There are a few examples that I can think of regarding former Nolan supporters that chose to not acknowledge their past allegiance to him. Those that think everybody has somehow forgotten what they once stood for. Let me tell you something right now. Singfan will never, ever, go out like that. I just don't find it respectable. I can take my lumps, I will not hide.

I think the correct spelling is roll , as 'roll with the punch' or 'roll out the barrel'. Role refers to a part in a play. Back to remedial English for you my friend. Your knowledge of the language is on a par with....well, you know.
Originally posted by ObePwnD:
Originally posted by mojave45:
Originally posted by BurritoSmuggler:
Singletary keeps talking about how he wants a "tough" "physical" team, but how do you teach that? What do you think he does to get them to play like that?

I'm thinking.. the hill.. and his military style practices. fast pace, ect.

What do you guys think? I'm curious because it seems like it's how people view the game, like you would need people with that attitude.. that you can't really just teach them to be physical. I don't know. Just thought it was interesting to think about.

It's a mind set, like going through basic training in the military. You can get a group of people to start thinking and reacting a certain way as a group, the behavior reinforces itself after people inside the group start getting what the coaches are teaching, but it starts from the top, in this case Singletary. POnce it starts catching on inside a group that mindset carries over.

Thanks for the military parallel. I brought up the same analogy a few weeks ago, and a guy who's name I won't mention, said you can't compare military and football.

Yahhh, I hear you. I may not post much anymore,but I have been around long enough to just say what I want and not pay attention to the flack.

I think the correct spelling is roll , as 'roll with the punch' or 'roll out the barrel'. Role refers to a part in a play. Back to remedial English for you my friend. Your knowledge of the language is on a par with....well, you know.

You would be correct. Score one for jsaniner.... it's been a long time coming for you.

See, this is how you man up and admit that you were wrong. I didn't dodge this or make excuses. Where are the former Nolan dudes at?

Yeah Singfan,

I found your last few posts regarding former Nolan-turned-MS supporters in here very interesting and would love to know who they are. Do tell so I can keep tabs on them also.

You would be correct. Score one for jsaniner.... it's been a long time coming for you.

See, this is how you man up and admit that you were wrong. I didn't dodge this or make excuses. Where are the former Nolan dudes at?

I love how the supporters will resort to attacking someone's spelling when they have nothing legitimate to come back with? Stop the nonsense. This isn't English class and a lot of people in here are very informal and don't go nuts worrying about the correct spelling of EVERY SINGLE WORD nevermind the fact that when typing quickly wrong keys can be hit, etc. I've seen a ton of incorrect spelling but don't go crying about it. Get over it.

Since you're apparently so concerned with spelling, I assume yoo sent a letter to 49ers headquarters requesting clarification of MS's bizarre "Physical with an F" comment, right? Personally, I would love to know under what circumstances MS considers it appropriate to spell physical with an F so keep me posted.

No score for JSAniner for calling out unimportant, unrelated nonsense.
[ Edited by Sabrason on Jul 8, 2009 at 10:50 PM ]
Originally posted by BurritoSmuggler:
Singletary keeps talking about how he wants a "tough" "physical" team, but how do you teach that? What do you think he does to get them to play like that?

I'm thinking.. the hill.. and his military style practices. fast pace, ect.

What do you guys think? I'm curious because it seems like it's how people view the game, like you would need people with that attitude.. that you can't really just teach them to be physical. I don't know. Just thought it was interesting to think about.

You don't teach it . . . you aquire tough minded physical players and tailor your coaching satff and offensive and defensive systems to suit those players. Guys like Singletary, Rathman and Manusky know what physical football looks and smells like and I expect that to translate on the field.
Originally posted by Sabrason:

I love how the supporters will resort to attacking someone's spelling when they have nothing legitimate to come back with? Stop the nonsense. This isn't English class and a lot of people in here are very informal and don't go nuts worrying about the correct spelling of EVERY SINGLE WORD nevermind the fact that when typing quickly wrong keys can be hit, etc. I've seen a ton of incorrect spelling but don't go crying about it. Get over it.

Since you're apparently so concerned with spelling, I assume yoo sent a letter to 49ers headquarters requesting clarification of MS's bizarre "Physical with an F" comment, right? Personally, I would love to know under what circumstances MS considers it appropriate to spell physical with an F so keep me posted.

I'm now convinced that you and singfan are the same person....
Originally posted by King49er:
Originally posted by Sabrason:

I'm now convinced that you and singfan are the same person....

Damn...it took you that long to figure it out?
Share 49ersWebzone