LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 228 users in the forums

Who Would You Say Michael Crabtree Compares to in the NFL?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
He's Anquan Boldin. But maybe a little slower (Boldin is not fast either). Definitely less productive. It's hard to get a read on him. He's been injured a lot of his career. And the QB situation never getting fully settled out set him back. So did all the new systems. The constant foot problems. At least this year he seems a bit faster and breaks tackles. Maybe a little stronger too. He's better this year than what we have seen.

If you think he's slower than Boldin, you're utterly clueless.
Originally posted by MarshallfaulkYouIdio:
He's Anquan Boldin. But maybe a little slower (Boldin is not fast either). Definitely less productive. It's hard to get a read on him. He's been injured a lot of his career. And the QB situation never getting fully settled out set him back. So did all the new systems. The constant foot problems. At least this year he seems a bit faster and breaks tackles. Maybe a little stronger too. He's better this year than what we have seen.

If you think he's slower than Boldin, you're utterly clueless.

Boldin is indeed not fast. But neither is Crabtree. When was the last time you saw Crabtree beat somebody deep? Almost never. He's all 5, 10, 15 yard receptions and try to break some tackles for more. Boldin is such a good route runner and has some quickness more so than speed. Plus he has a big body and just boxes out for the reception. In a way I think Boldin is more dynamic even though neither one is fast. I've seen Boldin make 50 - 70 yard plays sometimes. Crabtree almost never does this. So Crabtree is less dynamic than Boldin. Whether route running, speed, quickness, field awarness, finding the open spot in the zone, game fast and not 40 fast or some conbination of those it's definitely true. He's just more dynamic and productive.
You're a dead person on a good planet.

• 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
he reminds me of Keyshawn Johnson.

That's who I thought of. Crabtree isn't as big a target but has more quickness.
Boldin is indeed not fast. But neither is Crabtree. When was the last time you saw Crabtree beat somebody deep? Almost never. He's all 5, 10, 15 yard receptions and try to break some tackles for more. Boldin is such a good route runner and has some quickness more so than speed. Plus he has a big body and just boxes out for the reception. In a way I think Boldin is more dynamic even though neither one is fast. I've seen Boldin make 50 - 70 yard plays sometimes. Crabtree almost never does this. So Crabtree is less dynamic than Boldin. Whether route running, speed, quickness, field awarness, finding the open spot in the zone, game fast and not 40 fast or some conbination of those it's definitely true. He's just more dynamic and productive.

Crabtree would've caught more deep balls if he had a QB who could throw the deep ball on target/was willing to throw the deep ball. People like you grossly underestimate just how much the QB situation held him back.

As it is, he has burned Rodgers-Cromartie deep.

Crabtree would've caught more deep balls if he had a QB who could throw the deep ball on target/was willing to throw the deep ball. People like you grossly underestimate just how much the QB situation held him back.

As it is, he has burned Rodgers-Cromartie deep.

The irony is Crabtree was well on track for a 1000-yard season with Smith before the concussion. The last two and a half games with low numbers will make it harder for him to reach 1000 yards as the 49ers have too many weapons, and CK hasn't had as good a rapport with Crabtree as Smith did. Smith's conservative play actually gave Crabtree a lot of chance to shine as he is more or less a possession WR.
He reminds me of TJ Houshmandzadeh.

I agree. Poor man's Anquan Boldin.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1M_8ByLMJQ

He's pretty tall...
He's a combo of Keyshawn Johnson and Ed McCaffrey ....Crabs is a big target that is very reliable in short yardage situations ..he is a chain moving WR thats for sure ...until we see him make some plays deep downfield , we really cant compare him to any deep strike WR's, but I'm satisfied with his development, at least you cant say he is a bust

Jason Sehorn
  • HERN
  • Veteran
I've always said it, he reminds me of Marvin Harrison.
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
He's a combo of Keyshawn Johnson and Ed McCaffrey ....Crabs is a big target that is very reliable in short yardage situations ..he is a chain moving WR thats for sure ...until we see him make some plays deep downfield , we really cant compare him to any deep strike WR's, but I'm satisfied with his development, at least you cant say he is a bust

This. While nobody will call Crabtree an elite WR you can't say that he isn't good either.
Originally posted by goodthings19:
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:

This. While nobody will call Crabtree an elite WR you can't say that he isn't good either.

Exactly ...the game against the Cardinals showed everyone that Crabs is NOT a bust
The Ed McCaffery example is very solid. Ed came up w/many big-time catches. I think Crabs is better after the catch.
Share 49ersWebzone