LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 330 users in the forums

Only Three Roster Spots Open?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
If there are only 3 spots open, it's more and more likely that there won't even BE a spot for Crabtree if he doesn't sign. The team can't afford to have an open spot on the roster.

Not even for Pima Dona Diva WRs'.

~Ceadder

Wait........what? If Crabtree signs after the season starts, they just drop somebody down and pull him up.

SEE?!? That's what's so dang frustrating about this. At least someone has suggested(Barrows) that Crabtree IF signed will go to PUP. WHich I think is ev en more incredulous because he thinks that someone will be on IR by that time to give Crabtree a spot. What if it DOESN'T happen and he's on PUP? Can't IR a healthy guy can we?

~Ceadder
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
If there are only 3 spots open, it's more and more likely that there won't even BE a spot for Crabtree if he doesn't sign. The team can't afford to have an open spot on the roster.

Not even for Pima Dona Diva WRs'.

Oh yeah I think that Spurlock is the guy to go to the practice squad, Roman to game day inactives (Reggie Smith was straight up solid why give Roman that spot?) and Battle is outright cut.

Right on with Crabtree. With Jiones hurt, the club can't afford to dedicate 2 WR roster spots to guys who can't play right away. So, for Crabtree (if he signs at all), put him on PUP, for which he is eligible.

"Welcome, Mr Crabtree. Here is your playbook. Did we tell you that your foot is not yet in football shape. Well, it needs another 6-10 weeks of healing. Study your playbook. Come to all of the team meetings. No, you can't practice, but we suggest that Nate Davis and you find a local high school field where you can play catch, without club knowledge, of course. We'll plan to add you to the roster after Week 6, when the PUP activation window opens. We really look forward to your contributions to the ballclub. We are confident that you will make a difference for the club this season. BTW, have you set-up your direct deposit bank account?"

P.S. I don't think that Spurlock is PS-eligible, or I would certainly have put him there, instead of on the cut list.

j/k on that last part.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by jimbagg:
Good points all. With the young guys like QB Davis, OT Boone, WR Zeigler, NT Mitchell and DE Jean-Francois (and I like the potential of all of these guys), I just think that the club can get thm through waivers to the PS. They really need development time and every other club is going to be pressed, like the Niners, to start Game 1 with a fully productive Final 53.

When Game 10-11 or so rolls around, then it might be time to consider pulling some of these guys onto the roster, as the ineveitable IR injuries pile up, and before they can be snatched-away by another team with its own IR-generated vacancies.

The most vulnerable vets: QB Smith (trade bait for a pick), QB Huard (might still be available mid-season, if needed), OG Baas (if not extended, could be trade bait for a pick), OT Sims (color him gone), LB Ulbrich (10th year for fiery guy, who can no longer run well, but still fill the hole inside), S Roman (Goldson has just been soooo injury-prone, insurance is required), DL Sopoaga (cap implications probably guarantee him a spot, but Mitchell, Jean-Francois and even Egboh are providing much better competition than Joe Cohen ever did), WR Hill (a very young vet with great hands, who really flourished with QB Hill during the final 8 games of 2008, but who seems to be in a tough battle with Spurlock). WR Hill vs WR Spurlock was the toughest roster decision for me. WR Hill's proven in-game chemistry with QB Hill, is what made the difference for me.

Lastly, people need to understand that Rossum is a proven home-run hitter. On a team where offensive points will be scarce, points from the D or ST are going to be the difference between winning or losing in at least 2-3 games, as I see it. And Rossum is good for taking it to the house, maybe 2-3 times during the season. He has perormed at this level and provided a significant boost over Maurice Hicks return performance last year, in terms of filed position, which is crituical to a ball-control offense. Rossum is a very valuable Niner.

I think Zeigler has used up all his PS eligibility (on PS past two years).

It makes sense, to me, to try to trade A. Smith. Martz on NFLTA last evening said he thinks A. Smith needs a change of scenery, and it made some sense. Trouble is that there are suddenly several QB's available for teams that are looking for one, so it may be difficult to trade him.

I see that Joe Cohen recently signed with Oakland to "shore up" their run defense.
I'd still bite the bullet and dump Sopoaga, despite any cap implications. He's just not doing the job, and hasn't for some time. IMHO.

The Spurlock vs Hill question is a tough one. Both are good ST guys. Spurlock provides valuable backup to Rossum, who is, I agree, a valuable return guy. Maybe find a way to keep all three--meaning that Battle, along with Zeigler, would be gone. Tough choice though, any way you look at it.
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Originally posted by backontop:
As long as Simms and Roman are not on the 53 man roster I will be happy.

Who backs up Goldson if we don't have Roman?

i wouldve agrred with you at first but it seems like reggie smith is doing an excellent job
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Originally posted by backontop:
As long as Simms and Roman are not on the 53 man roster I will be happy.

Who backs up Goldson if we don't have Roman?

i wouldve agrred with you at first but it seems like reggie smith is doing an excellent job

That is what I have seen. I guess we will see what the coaches think here in the next 2 weeks
Share 49ersWebzone