There are 216 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Only Three Roster Spots Open?

Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:
Originally posted by backontop:
As long as Simms and Roman are not on the 53 man roster I will be happy.

Prepare to be unhappy.

The zone is a weird bizarro world in which people WANT to stack the roster with 7th round picks and UFAs.

Agreed. The underdog factor plays huge on the board. This is true across all fan boards in America.

While some of these guys could possibly make the roster, I don't think many grasp the concept that late-round draftees are role players at best, not future stars. A lot of wishful thinking by many.
Originally posted by jcizzle:
You'd keep Hudson and Roman over Reggie Smith?

Darn, I looked over that roster a hundred times.

Take out one of the wide receivers, probably Battle and insert Reggie Smith.

I will take another crack at the final roster when training camp starts and probably after the first exhibition game.

See, it's harder than I thought.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

Prepare to be unhappy.

The zone is a weird bizarro world in which people WANT to stack the roster with 7th round picks and UFAs.

Agreed. The underdog factor plays huge on the board. This is true across all fan boards in America.

While some of these guys could possibly make the roster, I don't think many grasp the concept that late-round draftees are role players at best, not future stars. A lot of wishful thinking by many.

Josh Morgan laughs at this statement.
Originally posted by NickSh49:

Prepare to be unhappy.

Tom Brady ignores it, preferring instead to count his money and SB rings while fondling his supermodel girlfriend.
Quote:
However, to me, the very idea that the 49ers only have THREE spots open for final roster competition at this point is encouraging and a testament to the depth that our team has now compared to years' past.

I think you are just looking for encouragement. This means absolutely nothing. If I was the 33rd GM of a new team, and I took the worst 70 players in the league and quickly identified my final roster before anyone else....would you be encouraged?
Originally posted by danimal:
Quote:
However, to me, the very idea that the 49ers only have THREE spots open for final roster competition at this point is encouraging and a testament to the depth that our team has now compared to years' past.

I think you are just looking for encouragement. This means absolutely nothing. If I was the 33rd GM of a new team, and I took the worst 70 players in the league and quickly identified my final roster before anyone else....would you be encouraged?

In response to your question: No.

I think that you missed the point. The point was tempered enthusiasm premised on greater team depth.

[ Edited by NineFourNiner on Jun 19, 2009 at 12:42:44 ]
Originally posted by Ceadderman:

Who backs up Goldson if we don't have Roman?

Chuck Norris.

~Ceadder

• MADMIKE
  • Info N/A
OFFENSE: (26)

QB: Hill, Smith Davis (3)
RB: Gore, Norris, Coffee, Robinson, sheets (5)
WR: Bruce, Morgan, Crabtree, Jones, Hill, Zeigler (6)
TE: Davis, Walker, Pascoe (3)
OL: Staley, Baas, Heitmann, Rachal, Smith, Snyder, Wragge, Wallace, Boone[/i] (9)

DEFENSE: (23)

DL: Balmer, Evans, Sopoaga, Franklin, Smith, McDonald (if healthy) (6)
LB: Haralson, Spikes, Willis, Lawson, McKillop, Harris, Ulbrich, Moore (8)
CB/S: Clements, Bly, Spencer, Brown, Goldston, Lewis, Hudson, Roman, Smith (9)

ST: (4)

LS: Jennings
KR: Rossum
K: Nedney
P: Lee

PRACTICE SQUAD: (5)

Jean-Francois, Ricky
Taylor, Curtis
Spurlock, Michael

Ill take Davis over Huard (If you get down to your third your season's not going too well anyway, no need to carry 4 Qbs)
Sheets (gives us that quick back, and can return kicks)
Zeiglar over Battle (7 Wrs is too much and battles been gone for so long i dont think he can beat out Z)
Boone over Toledo
I think Reggie Smith makes it, We need more than 4 dbs so hudson could be a 5th while reggie backs up Lewis
Originally posted by MADMIKE:

OL: Staley, Baas, Heitmann, Rachal, Smith, Snyder, Wragge, Wallace, Boone[/i] (9)

Jean-Francois, Ricky
Taylor, Curtis
Spurlock, Michael

Ill take Davis over Huard (If you get down to your third your season's not going too well anyway, no need to carry 4 Qbs)
Zeiglar over Battle (7 Wrs is too much and battles been gone for so long i dont think he can beat out Z)
Boone over Toledo
I think Reggie Smith makes it, We need more than 4 dbs so hudson could be a 5th while reggie backs up Lewis

i disagree on Hudson and Zeigler, Hudson is terrible, rather keep Lambert. And Zeigler isnt any better than Battle, and Battle is a vet and would be the 6th wr, maybe 5th cause i dont see Hill as a lock at all, he needs to stay healthy.
  • MADMIKE
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by AB83Rules:

Jean-Francois, Ricky
Taylor, Curtis
Spurlock, Michael

Boone over Toledo

i disagree on Hudson and Zeigler, Hudson is terrible, rather keep Lambert. And Zeigler isnt any better than Battle, and Battle is a vet and would be the 6th wr, maybe 5th cause i dont see Hill as a lock at all, he needs to stay healthy.

The same can be said for Battle that he cant get healthy either, and hes making 1.7 mil for a 6th wr. Were already paying 5 mil for a 3rd maybe 4th reciever.
I can't see battle making the team w/o restructuring like ulbrich.

And I dont know who lambert is, just think we need more than 4 dbs.

Jean-Francois, Ricky
Taylor, Curtis
Spurlock, Michael

Boone over Toledo

The same can be said for Battle that he cant get healthy either, and hes making 1.7 mil for a 6th wr. Were already paying 5 mil for a 3rd maybe 4th reciever.

Over/Under on how many Battle/Zeigler for the 6th WR spot in the last couple months: 100, sadly i'm taking the over
Originally posted by matt49er:

Jean-Francois, Ricky
Taylor, Curtis
Spurlock, Michael

Boone over Toledo

Over/Under on how many Battle/Zeigler for the 6th WR spot arguments on here in the last couple months: 100, sadly i'm taking the over
  • 9erThrowBack
  • Info N/A

Jean-Francois, Ricky
Taylor, Curtis
Spurlock, Michael

Since TC and preseason games haven't started yet, this is all idle (but fun) chatter. Things will change before the start of the season, driven by injuries, better/worse-than-expected performances during TC/PSG, and cuts from other teams. But my $.02:

• I think the Niners keep Huard and Davis on the 53. Wouldn't be surprised if Huard doesn't start at least one game before the end of the season.
  • The Niners would love to find a way to replace Rossum with someone more versatile. Sheets, maybe?
  • There may be six WRs kept, but don't be surprised if there are only five. In a pinch, Delanie Walker could be split out. This leaves room for...
  • ...Another defensive player. This could be a LB, though I believe both of the LSU 7th rounders have a nice shot at filling this slot. Also, this is Jay Moore's last shot to be a 49er.
  • Unless he really steps up before the season begins -- and maybe at G rather than C -- Wallace is in danger of not making the 53.
  • While you can't have too many DBs, I'm not sure Hudson stays. The Niners would love to see Curtis Taylor beat him out.

The preseason is going to be interesting...

[ Edited by 9erThrowBack on Jun 21, 2009 at 16:28:50 ]
Originally posted by 9erThrowBack:

Jean-Francois, Ricky
Taylor, Curtis
Spurlock, Michael

Since TC and preseason games haven't started yet, this is all idle (but fun) chatter. Things will change before the start of the season, driven by injuries, better/worse-than-expected performances during TC/PSG, and cuts from other teams. But my $.02:

• I think the Niners keep Huard and Davis on the 53. Wouldn't be surprised if Huard doesn't start at least one game before the end of the season.
  • The Niners would love to find a way to replace Rossum with someone more versatile. Sheets, maybe?
  • There may be six WRs kept, but don't be surprised if there are only five. In a pinch, Delanie Walker could be split out. This leaves room for...
  • ...Another defensive player. This could be a LB, though I believe both of the LSU 7th rounders have a nice shot at filling this slot. Also, this is Jay Moore's last shot to be a 49er.
  • Unless he really steps up before the season begins -- and maybe at G rather than C -- Wallace is in danger of not making the 53.
  • While you can't have too many DBs, I'm not sure Hudson stays. The Niners would love to see Curtis Taylor beat him out.

The preseason is going to be interesting...

i agree almost 100%, but Rossum, no way do we wanna have him lose out, he did wonders for our Field Position, and will continue this year.

Prepare to be unhappy.

There are always exceptions. However, it seems like many expect all of these late rounders to be future stars.