There are 121 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Only Three Roster Spots Open?

Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by Trajik1:
Keasey better not make it

who will back up Norris if Roman... I mean Keasey is gone

M-Rob would back-up Norris.

I guess you couldn't sense the sarcasm even though I threw in the name ROMAN!!!!! in there

See dude, you can't come back with sarcasm if you make a knee-jerk statement about Sims and Roman at the beginning of this thread.

We need Roman... in all his suckage he provides us with a backup for Goldson.

So when you come back and try to be funny about Keasey... it just doesn't work.
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by Trajik1:
Keasey better not make it

who will back up Norris if Roman... I mean Keasey is gone

M-Rob would back-up Norris.

I guess you couldn't sense the sarcasm even though I threw in the name ROMAN!!!!! in there

See dude, you can't come back with sarcasm if you make a knee-jerk statement about Sims and Roman at the beginning of this thread.

We need Roman... in all his suckage he provides us with a backup for Goldson.

So when you come back and try to be funny about Keasey... it just doesn't work.

actually it does work. You act like Roman is the only person to back up that position. Simms is garbage and Roman is garbage and BOTH should be cut from the team to allow for some players with actual talent to stay. Yes the other players are young but how is the team going to know if they are even worth keeping unless they play. Imagine if Ronnie Lott was never played because he was "young" and then released so a veteran garbage player could take the back up roll. (this is a scenario so don't take it for real life, I am in no way saying that R. Smith is going to be the next Lott)
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
From Bee-rows' blog entry today: "The way I see it, 50 roster spots are locked up heading into training camp, leaving three up for grabs for enterprising young players."

Granted it is still early.

Granted this is MB's opinion.

However, to me, the very idea that the 49ers only have THREE spots open for final roster competition at this point is encouraging and a testament to the depth that our team has now compared to years' past.

Link to Article

Thoughts? Comments? Concerns?

I think there may be more than just 3 roster spots open.
Originally posted by backontop:
As long as Simms and Roman are not on the 53 man roster I will be happy.

Prepare to be unhappy.

The zone is a weird bizarro world in which people WANT to stack the roster with 7th round picks and UFAs.
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:
Originally posted by backontop:
As long as Simms and Roman are not on the 53 man roster I will be happy.

Prepare to be unhappy.

The zone is a weird bizarro world in which people WANT to stack the roster with 7th round picks and UFAs.

I have learned that in the short time I have been a member.
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Originally posted by backontop:
As long as Simms and Roman are not on the 53 man roster I will be happy.

Who backs up Goldson if we don't have Roman?

we can put Balmer back there and I bet he can perform better than Roman

As much as I dislike Roman:


Looks like Vernon
played a little safety in high school.
Originally posted by global_nomad:
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Originally posted by backontop:
As long as Simms and Roman are not on the 53 man roster I will be happy.

Who backs up Goldson if we don't have Roman?

we can put Balmer back there and I bet he can perform better than Roman

As much as I dislike Roman:


Looks like Vernon
played a little safety in high school.


hahahaha he has the hands to be a DB
  • tn9er
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 3,483
Look for Davis to have a freak accident to his ankle toward the end of training camp and go on IR..
Member Milestone: This is post number 200 for backontop.
Originally posted by tn9er:
Look for Davis to have a freak accident to his ankle toward the end of training camp and go on IR..

that would be hilarious yet genius
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by tn9er:
Look for Davis to have a freak accident to his ankle toward the end of training camp and go on IR..

that would be hilarious yet genius

Observations like this make me feel pretty damn old.
  • tn9er
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 3,483
Originally posted by BrodieFan:
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by tn9er:
Look for Davis to have a freak accident to his ankle toward the end of training camp and go on IR..

that would be hilarious yet genius

Observations like this make me feel pretty damn old.

Why does that make you feel old???

It would be the first time a team did this..
Bored, so I will post who I think will be on the final 53 man roster: Players in bold are locks, players in italics squeeze in to make the final roster. The practice squad players listed at the end. It was harder than I thought. Give it a try.

OFFENSE: (27)

QB: Hill, Smith, Huard, Davis (4)
RB: Gore, Norris, Coffee, Robinson (4)
WR: Bruce, Morgan, Crabtree, Jones, Hill, Battle, Zeigler (7)
TE: Davis, Walker, Pascoe (3)
OL: Staley, Baas, Heitmann, Rachal, Smith, Snyder, Wragge, Wallace, Toledo (9)

DEFENSE: (22)

DL: Balmer, Evans, Sopoaga, Franklin, Smith, McDonald (if healthy) (6)
LB: Haralson, Spikes, Willis, Lawson, McKillop, Harris, Ulbrich, Moore (8)
CB/S: Clements, Bly, Spencer, Brown, Goldston, Lewis, Hudson, Roman (8)

ST: (4)

LS: Jennings
KR: Rossum
K: Nedney
P: Lee

PRACTICE SQUAD: (5)

Jean-Francois, Ricky
Taylor, Curtis
Sheets, Kory
Boone, Alex
Spurlock, Michael


INJURED RESERVE:

Walt Harris
Ray McDonald (if he doesn't recover quickly. I think he ends up on here to open up a spot for someone else)


I really tried to not include Roman but I thought his experience would earn him a roster spot. Goldston has had injuries in the past and Roman would be a better back up than a rookie late round draft pick.

[ Edited by DynastyPart2 on Jun 17, 2009 at 21:19:09 ]
  • jcizzle
  • Info N/A
You'd keep Hudson and Roman over Reggie Smith?
DL's definitely improved...adding a vet DE like Evans will solidify LDE and he'll be a good mentor for KB. Balmer has caught Manusky's eye...saying he's by far the most improved defensive player. That bodes well...as does the addition of Jean-Francois, who'll b/u Justin SMith. It's unknown when McDonald will be able to practice or play at this point. Franklin played much better during the 2nd half of last season, and with Sopoaga backing him up, we should get decent NT play. Still an area to improve, but I think overall the DL's better.

I get the anti-Roman sentiment...but you need veteran depth when you've got a young guy like Goldson starting for the first time. He can learn a ton from Roman...on positioning, calling the defense, etc.

Of the guys Beerows mentioned, I'm pulling for Boone, Davis and Sheets to make the roster. Keeping 4 QB's won't be easy...but they can't risk putting Davis on the PS.
Originally posted by DynastyPart2:
Bored, so I will post who I think will be on the final 53 man roster: Players in bold are locks, players in italics squeeze in to make the final roster. The practice squad players listed at the end. It was harder than I thought. Give it a try.

OFFENSE: (27)

QB: Hill, Smith, Huard, Davis (4)
RB: Gore, Norris, Coffee, Robinson (4)
WR: Bruce, Morgan, Crabtree, Jones, Hill, Battle, Zeigler (7)
TE: Davis, Walker, Pascoe (3)
OL: Staley, Baas, Heitmann, Rachal, Smith, Snyder, Wragge, Wallace, Toledo (9)

DEFENSE: (22)

DL: Balmer, Evans, Sopoaga, Franklin, Smith, McDonald (if healthy) (6)
LB: Haralson, Spikes, Willis, Lawson, McKillop, Harris, Ulbrich, Moore (8)
CB/S: Clements, Bly, Spencer, Brown, Goldson, Lewis, Hudson, Roman (8)

ST: (4)

LS: Jennings
KR: Rossum
K: Nedney
P: Lee

PRACTICE SQUAD: (5)

Jean-Francois, Ricky
Taylor, Curtis
Sheets, Kory
Boone, Alex
Spurlock, Michael


INJURED RESERVE:

Walt Harris
Ray McDonald (if he doesn't recover quickly. I think he ends up on here to open up a spot for someone else)


I really tried to not include Roman but I thought his experience would earn him a roster spot. Goldson has had injuries in the past and Roman would be a better back up than a rookie late round draft pick.

Dynasty2~

Decent list for sure but a couple of things.....first, no way the team keeps 7 WRs. It's going to be Battle vs. Zeigler for that 6th spot and even then, it is a bit iffy. Since Sullivan likes Ziggy I think he stays because he would probably get claimed if the Niners try to waive him to get him on the PS.
Going to be tough to keep 4 QBs on the final roster. Can see the logic but it will still be tough. If Davis doesn't impress in TC, they might be able to sneak him through. If he does impress, he needs to stay on the 53.

Don't see Hudson or Moore making the team....the former doesn't have a true position and the latter doesn't seem to be impressing thus far. I think Baker makes the team as a backup S and that Brooks or one of the younger LBs like Washington or Roland makes the team.

Also think Boone and Sheets are going to be tough to get on the PS too.... I think Boone makes the 53. He would have been a 3rd round pick if he didn't get into trouble with alcohol so he clearly has talent. Seems to know this is his one shot too. Sheets is a huge question mark because he is having trouble picking up the offense. If he is not impressive in TC, perhaps he gets cut, perhaps they can sneak him on the PS.

Agree that McDonald likely to go on IR if not healthy by TC which is unlikely. I see RJF or Egboh making the final roster depending on who is the most impressive in TC.

Here's my best PS guess....

Egboh or Mitchell
Sheets
Spurlock
Taylor
Briggs
Bender or Toledo or Howard
Finley
best of UFA CBs