There are 165 users in the forums

Defense still needs to be fixed

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by FriscoKid220:
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by nekst:
Originally posted by Mex49:
"Our offense is pretty much done and solidified for a few years now" Who is our starting QB? Until that is answered nothing is done or solid.

As for our D, it is not broken!

Co-signed.

Who's our secondary besides nate and michael lewis? Who on our d line are you scared of?

Dre Bly. The only unknown is Goldson. 3 out of 4 players in our secondary are good players (hate on Bly all you want) and Goldson is getting his shot to prove what he can do. You act like we have one key player in the secondary and the other three are question marks. It is the exact opposite.

Just ask the broncos if anyone is scared of him. If they were, why would he get cut?? I would think that two corners that people fear would be a good thing for a defense.

He got cut because he's getting old and they're the Broncos. Ever heard of Mike Nolan? Have you seen their defense? I doubt it. Even Champ Bailey looked bad out there. But I wouldn't expect you to know that.
We still need a RT and another guard, and heitamann is getting up there.

The D was ranked higher, so I feel they are more solid than the O.

Need to keep in mind too, that ST and D have been in one scheme for more than 2 years, unlike the O. I dont care what names are on the offense, they still are more unproven players on the O.

[ Edited by 9erluv415 on Jun 10, 2009 at 11:09:56 ]
Originally posted by 9erluv415:
We still need a RT and another guard, bc heitamann is getting up there.

Eric Heitman is a center.
Eyes for details - NFL article
Originally posted by alanbeez22:
if we had another pro bowl pass rusher other teams wouldn't double and triple team justin smith so much...

But according to the original poster, we don't have anybody on the DL that gets double-teamed.

LMAO. What a joke.

ur stupid. we run a 3-4 defense. someone is always gonna be doubled or tripled. our biggest threat at the line was justin smith go watch footage then tell me im a joke. retard

What the hell is wrong with you? Can you not read? Clearly you have issues with comprehension.

The "what a joke" part of that comment was directed at the ORIGINAL POSTER. I guess sarcasm is too advanced for you to comprehend. Read my other posts in this thread, genius.

LOL @ calling me stupid and a retard when I was AGREEING with your post. You came out looking real good on that one, big guy!

my bad rider! i didn't sleep till 4 and was on the forum from my blackberry! i'm the retard! my bad
if we had another pro bowl pass rusher other teams wouldn't double and triple team justin smith so much...

But according to the original poster, we don't have anybody on the DL that gets double-teamed.

LMAO. What a joke.

ur stupid. we run a 3-4 defense. someone is always gonna be doubled or tripled. our biggest threat at the line was justin smith go watch footage then tell me im a joke. retard

What the hell is wrong with you? Can you not read? Clearly you have issues with comprehension.

The "what a joke" part of that comment was directed at the ORIGINAL POSTER. I guess sarcasm is too advanced for you to comprehend. Read my other posts in this thread, genius.

LOL @ calling me stupid and a retard when I was AGREEING with your post. You came out looking real good on that one, big guy!

my bad rider! i didn't sleep till 4 and was on the forum from my blackberry! i'm the retard! my bad

LOL it's all good. It happens.
  • Mex49
Originally posted by nekst:
Originally posted by Mex49:
"Our offense is pretty much done and solidified for a few years now" Who is our starting QB? Until that is answered nothing is done or solid.

As for our D, it is not broken!

Co-signed.

Who's our secondary besides nate and michael lewis? Who on our d line are you scared of?

So, question marks now equal broken and in need of fixing? Weren't we the 13th ranked D at the end of last year? Broken, not a chance.
Originally posted by 9erluv415:
We still need a RT and another guard, bc heitamann is getting up there.

Eric Heitman is a center.

Meant to put "and" ....but for what its worth he is a backup at guard and can play it and has played it, so both positions are still a need bc cody is still unproven and baas is obviously not starter quality!!

[ Edited by 9erluv415 on Jun 10, 2009 at 11:11:28 ]
He doesn't command two lineman to block him. They just chip him with a rb.

Which backs up my thoughts about Parys Haralson's "success" being due to Justin Smith playing on the same side. If Justin Smith is being blocked by a LT and a RB, Haralson will have a free lane to the QB unless the LG backs way up and picks him off. Granted, that's a dumbed-down version of a play, but that would essentially be what would happen.

Besides that, I hate to burst your bubble, but Justin Smith was double-teamed by two LINEMEN many times last year. I won't ask if you watched the games last year, I'll just assume you did, but at the same time I can't help but assume you didn't actually pay attention to what Justin Smith was doing on the play.

He got the double team. So there were one on one matchups on the line all day. And we're so good that we got sacks from those one on one battles. Oh wait...NO WE DIDN'T! Could it be because.......Our line sucks a**? I think the answer is yes

Seeing as how there are only three guys on the line and one of them is very good, it looks like our problem on defense lies on two guys, right? Even if that is the case, your lame argument that the defense needs more work than the offense is still proven wrong. We need to fill two holes on the defense, while we need at LEAST two O-linemen AND a QB (which, in case you didn't know, is the most important player on the field). The spots you claim we're set at, WR and TE, are full of unproven youngsters (WRs) and underachievers (TEs). We have ONE proven RB, and that's the ONLY position on the offense that is SET, as long as Gore stays healthy. Your argument is absolutely ridiculous.

Your argument's even worse! Is Dashon Goldson proven? No. Is Tarell Brown proven?? No. And who on our D line is proven?? The only thing Franklin and Sopoagna has proven is that they're busts. The only proven players we have on D are Clements, Willis, Michael lewis (all pro bowlers), and justin smith. McDonald hasn't proved anything. Manny hasn't proved anything. So if anyone has the ridiculous argument it's you.
All I can say is after watching the Titans and Steelers defenses sack each others QBs all night, I dont think our coaches know how to run a 3-4 blitz defense. Almost none of the sacks that I saw came from the defender overpowering our beating his guy. It all seemed to be scheme sacks where a guy would come completely untouched. Did anyone else notice that. It just seems like when we rush the QB it's totally predictable. We might as well run a 4-3 because there is no suspense. The O knows Manny's coming from the corner and so is Haralson. If we crowd the middle we are rushing the middle. It's sad. Maybe the problem isn't our guys after all.

[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Sep 10, 2009 at 20:30:33 ]

Originally posted by 49ERGUY:
The defense is the stronger of the two units and that will probably be true this season. We need improved play at NT and Pass Rush. Our defense will probably improve and could very possibly be in or near the top ten.

you are right justin smith is doing an excellent job and haralson did a good job with whatever time he did last year i think we need a ?NT and a FS
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by 49ERGUY:
The defense is the stronger of the two units and that will probably be true this season. We need improved play at NT and Pass Rush. Our defense will probably improve and could very possibly be in or near the top ten.

you are right justin smith is doing an excellent job and haralson did a good job with whatever time he did last year i think we need a ?NT and a FS

Franklin has been getting props since Sing took over. I dont think NT is an issue, look how good our run D is.
Defense > Offense

[ Edited by bigmike55 on Sep 10, 2009 at 23:21:03 ]
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
All I can say is after watching the Titans and Steelers defenses sack each others QBs all night, I dont think our coaches know how to run a 3-4 blitz defense. Almost none of the sacks that I saw came from the defender overpowering our beating his guy. It all seemed to be scheme sacks where a guy would come completely untouched. Did anyone else notice that. It just seems like when we rush the QB it's totally predictable. We might as well run a 4-3 because there is no suspense. The O knows Manny's coming from the corner and so is Haralson. If we crowd the middle we are rushing the middle. It's sad. Maybe the problem isn't our guys after all.

I noticed that as well, especially with the steelers and their crossing blitzes. But again Im holding out hope that Manusky withheld those blitz packages so that opposing offenses didn't have tape of them.

It makes sense that when games dont count Manusky would say just win your one on one's in an effort to get our players better at those one on one matchups so that when incorporated into a scheme, they do even better. My fear is that if the scheme depends on our guys winning those matchups... we may be SOL.
Originally posted by 5280High:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

I noticed that as well, especially with the steelers and their crossing blitzes. But again Im holding out hope that Manusky withheld those blitz packages so that opposing offenses didn't have tape of them.

It makes sense that when games dont count Manusky would say just win your one on one's in an effort to get our players better at those one on one matchups so that when incorporated into a scheme, they do even better. My fear is that if the scheme depends on our guys winning those matchups... we may be SOL.

You and me both. I can't wait for Sunday.
Share 49ersWebzone