LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 328 users in the forums

Defense still needs to be fixed

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by alanbeez22:
if we had another pro bowl pass rusher other teams wouldn't double and triple team justin smith so much...

But according to the original poster, we don't have anybody on the DL that gets double-teamed.

LMAO. What a joke.

He doesn't command two lineman to block him. They just chip him with a rb. Albert haynesworth commands double teams. Vince wilfork and richard seymore command double teams. casey hampton commands double teams. who is scared of sopoagna? who is scared of aubrayo franklin? No damn body. They havent' done squat since they been here.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
this man!!!
Originally posted by FriscoKid220:
if we had another pro bowl pass rusher other teams wouldn't double and triple team justin smith so much...

But according to the original poster, we don't have anybody on the DL that gets double-teamed.

LMAO. What a joke.

He doesn't command two lineman to block him. They just chip him with a rb. Albert haynesworth commands double teams. Vince wilfork and richard seymore command double teams. casey hampton commands double teams. who is scared of sopoagna? who is scared of aubrayo franklin? No damn body. They havent' done squat since they been here.

Agreed. Franklin never requires a double... Sopoaga on occasion, not often... Justin is very solid and often takes a brief double on pass protection, but can be pushed off by a powerful single blocker in the run game. Watch the NT position closely this season. Unless Franklin has really improved his abilities there... you are gonna be sick like I was on most of the D-snaps. Can anyone honestly name a lesser starting NT than the one SF puts out there?

[ Edited by oldman9er on Jun 9, 2009 at 15:20:27 ]
We'll see
He doesn't command two lineman to block him. They just chip him with a rb.

Which backs up my thoughts about Parys Haralson's "success" being due to Justin Smith playing on the same side. If Justin Smith is being blocked by a LT and a RB, Haralson will have a free lane to the QB unless the LG backs way up and picks him off. Granted, that's a dumbed-down version of a play, but that would essentially be what would happen.

Besides that, I hate to burst your bubble, but Justin Smith was double-teamed by two LINEMEN many times last year. I won't ask if you watched the games last year, I'll just assume you did, but at the same time I can't help but assume you didn't actually pay attention to what Justin Smith was doing on the play.

[ Edited by 49erRider on Jun 9, 2009 at 20:51:17 ]
Our defense ended the season ranked #13...with a weak pass rush. The DL will be better than you think, and here's why:

- Demetric Evans. He'll provide veteran leadership and serve as an excellent role model to KB. 'Skins fans are still p.o.'d the team let him get away.

- KB. He's one to really watch this year...he's worked exceptionally hard to get himself ready for this season. 4% body fat reduction is proof of that. Beyond that, he'll show why he was our #1 pick last year. He will emerge.

- Justin Smith. 'Nuff said.

- Ricky Jean-Francois. This kid can play...what better role model could he have other than J. Smith. Versatile LSU lineman many of their fans consider a superior player to Tyson Jackson.

- Franklin/Sopoaga. It's true, neither of these guys are the future at NT. However, their cumulative play will be good enough to hold their own. It's the one position we have to address next off-season. I'll throw KB's name into the hat...don't be surprised if he's not our next NT.

- Our LB corps of Lawson, Willis, Spikes, and Haralson's good...very good. Behind them, the depth is good...Brick, Harris, Brooks and McKillop (our future TED). Harris is arguably the best of that group...but, don't be surprised to see Brooks break out this year.

- Harris going down was a bummer...but good on Mac for signing Bly so quickly. He's still got very good skills and is a playmaker, something we've missed. He and Nate should be a very nice combo. TB is knockin' on the door...he'll likely end up the nickel, w/Spencer the dime. Pretty good group of CB's. SS is solid w/ML...R. Smith should emerge as his b/u. W/Goldson and Roman, we're in good shape at FS.

So, collectively, I think our defense will be fine...they're all thinking top 10 for sure. Some players will have to step up...but with the coaching staff we have now that's not just possible, it's probable.

LMAO. What a joke.

ur stupid. we run a 3-4 defense. someone is always gonna be doubled or tripled. our biggest threat at the line was justin smith go watch footage then tell me im a joke. retard

LMAO. What a joke.

ur stupid. we run a 3-4 defense. someone is always gonna be doubled or tripled. our biggest threat at the line was justin smith go watch footage then tell me im a joke. retard

Nice. Try taking a few deep breaths and hope the mods don't read your post
Our offense is pretty much done and solidified for a few years now. We may need to get a couple o lineman here or there and let our scheme sink in with the players, but we need to focus on our defense now. The way I look at it, The centerpieces of this defense are Patrick Willis, Nate Clements, and Michael Lewis. Parys contributes too. We'll have to wait and see if Manny can finally do his thing. But our D line and secondary need to be retooled. WE need a safety, and some fierce NT. The ends are ok with Justin Smith being the balls of it. But we need more. No one is scared of our D line. We need to find someone who can get to the qb from that position. We desparetely need a ballhawk/hard hitting free safety. I hope Goldson can do it, but if he can't, then we have to find someone quick. Regardless of how this season pans out, we need to really make our defense the focal point of next off season and definitely be the main concern going into next years draft.

we only need a big guy upfront space eater but we have a very good D. does not need to be fixed , needs to be tweaked with !
Originally posted by Apples:
"Our offense is pretty much done"? Who knew?

Both sides still need to be fixed.

~Ceadder

Which backs up my thoughts about Parys Haralson's "success" being due to Justin Smith playing on the same side. If Justin Smith is being blocked by a LT and a RB, Haralson will have a free lane to the QB unless the LG backs way up and picks him off. Granted, that's a dumbed-down version of a play, but that would essentially be what would happen.

Besides that, I hate to burst your bubble, but Justin Smith was double-teamed by two LINEMEN many times last year. I won't ask if you watched the games last year, I'll just assume you did, but at the same time I can't help but assume you didn't actually pay attention to what Justin Smith was doing on the play.

He got the double team. So there were one on one matchups on the line all day. And we're so good that we got sacks from those one on one battles. Oh wait...NO WE DIDN'T! Could it be because.......Our line sucks a**? I think the answer is yes
Originally posted by nekst:
Originally posted by Mex49:
"Our offense is pretty much done and solidified for a few years now" Who is our starting QB? Until that is answered nothing is done or solid.

As for our D, it is not broken!

Co-signed.

Who's our secondary besides nate and michael lewis? Who on our d line are you scared of?

Dre Bly. The only unknown is Goldson. 3 out of 4 players in our secondary are good players (hate on Bly all you want) and Goldson is getting his shot to prove what he can do. You act like we have one key player in the secondary and the other three are question marks. It is the exact opposite.

Just ask the broncos if anyone is scared of him. If they were, why would he get cut?? I would think that two corners that people fear would be a good thing for a defense.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Our defense ended the season ranked #13...with a weak pass rush. The DL will be better than you think, and here's why:

- Demetric Evans. He'll provide veteran leadership and serve as an excellent role model to KB. 'Skins fans are still p.o.'d the team let him get away.

- KB. He's one to really watch this year...he's worked exceptionally hard to get himself ready for this season. 4% body fat reduction is proof of that. Beyond that, he'll show why he was our #1 pick last year. He will emerge.

- Justin Smith. 'Nuff said.

- Ricky Jean-Francois. This kid can play...what better role model could he have other than J. Smith. Versatile LSU lineman many of their fans consider a superior player to Tyson Jackson.

- Franklin/Sopoaga. It's true, neither of these guys are the future at NT. However, their cumulative play will be good enough to hold their own. It's the one position we have to address next off-season. I'll throw KB's name into the hat...don't be surprised if he's not our next NT.

- Our LB corps of Lawson, Willis, Spikes, and Haralson's good...very good. Behind them, the depth is good...Brick, Harris, Brooks and McKillop (our future TED). Harris is arguably the best of that group...but, don't be surprised to see Brooks break out this year.

- Harris going down was a bummer...but good on Mac for signing Bly so quickly. He's still got very good skills and is a playmaker, something we've missed. He and Nate should be a very nice combo. TB is knockin' on the door...he'll likely end up the nickel, w/Spencer the dime. Pretty good group of CB's. SS is solid w/ML...R. Smith should emerge as his b/u. W/Goldson and Roman, we're in good shape at FS.

So, collectively, I think our defense will be fine...they're all thinking top 10 for sure. Some players will have to step up...but with the coaching staff we have now that's not just possible, it's probable.

But then, I'm an eternal optimist when it come to my Niners.

LMAO. What a joke.

What the hell is wrong with you? Can you not read? Clearly you have issues with comprehension.

The "what a joke" part of that comment was directed at the ORIGINAL POSTER. I guess sarcasm is too advanced for you to comprehend. Read my other posts in this thread, genius.

LOL @ calling me stupid and a retard when I was AGREEING with your post. You came out looking real good on that one, big guy!

[ Edited by 49erRider on Jun 10, 2009 at 09:53:07 ]

He got the double team. So there were one on one matchups on the line all day. And we're so good that we got sacks from those one on one battles. Oh wait...NO WE DIDN'T! Could it be because.......Our line sucks a**? I think the answer is yes

Seeing as how there are only three guys on the line and one of them is very good, it looks like our problem on defense lies on two guys, right? Even if that is the case, your lame argument that the defense needs more work than the offense is still proven wrong. We need to fill two holes on the defense, while we need at LEAST two O-linemen AND a QB (which, in case you didn't know, is the most important player on the field). The spots you claim we're set at, WR and TE, are full of unproven youngsters (WRs) and underachievers (TEs). We have ONE proven RB, and that's the ONLY position on the offense that is SET, as long as Gore stays healthy. Your argument is absolutely ridiculous.
Share 49ersWebzone