There are 104 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Defense still needs to be fixed

Our offense is pretty much done and solidified for a few years now. We may need to get a couple o lineman here or there and let our scheme sink in with the players, but we need to focus on our defense now. The way I look at it, The centerpieces of this defense are Patrick Willis, Nate Clements, and Michael Lewis. Parys contributes too. We'll have to wait and see if Manny can finally do his thing. But our D line and secondary need to be retooled. WE need a safety, and some fierce NT. The ends are ok with Justin Smith being the balls of it. But we need more. No one is scared of our D line. We need to find someone who can get to the qb from that position. We desparetely need a ballhawk/hard hitting free safety. I hope Goldson can do it, but if he can't, then we have to find someone quick. Regardless of how this season pans out, we need to really make our defense the focal point of next off season and definitely be the main concern going into next years draft.
  • kem99
  • Veteran
Most likely, the key issue to be resolved next off-season will be the QB position one way or another.

While there are some question marks on the defense, lets not forget that the defense rose from the mid-20's to 13th over the last half of the season once they scrapped Nolan's "hybrid" and went to a true 3-4...and that was with the offense often putting the defense in bad situations with turnovers, field position, etc. They certainly need to rush the QB better and create more turnovers but lets give Manusky a full year unencumbered by Nolan's scheme, another year of development of their young players (Balmer, Brown, Goldson), Lawson a chance to show he can rush the QB, etc. and then make a determination as to what needs to be "fixed".
you're speaking to the choir
Originally posted by kem99:
Most likely, the key issue to be resolved next off-season will be the QB position one way or another.

While there are some question marks on the defense, lets not forget that the defense rose from the mid-20's to 13th over the last half of the season once they scrapped Nolan's "hybrid" and went to a true 3-4...and that was with the offense often putting the defense in bad situations with turnovers, field position, etc. They certainly need to rush the QB better and create more turnovers but lets give Manusky a full year unencumbered by Nolan's scheme, another year of development of their young players (Balmer, Brown, Goldson), Lawson a chance to show he can rush the QB, etc. and then make a determination as to what needs to be "fixed".

The scheme is fine. I'm talking about overall talent on the field. Tarell brown and shantae spencer had reconstructed knees. Plus we need younger better cover men. The D line, lets face it, no one commands a double team which is why we get no pass rush. Your boy "soaps" and weak a** abrayo franklin just don't cut it.
The defense is the stronger of the two units and that will probably be true this season. We need improved play at NT and Pass Rush. Our defense will probably improve and could very possibly be in or near the top ten.
If anything our defense is set up. Could use a couple of upgrades but they are the better unit and have proved it on the field. THe offense is getting there also but until we see improvement with the new players we will have to wait.
"Our offense is pretty much done"? Who knew?

Both sides still need to be fixed.

~Ceadder
You guys are all right. Dont' get me wrong at all. I love the hell out of our defense. I just think we need to get better up front on the line cause what we have hasn't cut it for a while. Also we need a freak free safety. I think we need to find a corner too. I mean it's not the whole defense that needs to be fixed. Just some areas we need to upgrade starter wise and the rest is just depth really.
Originally posted by Apples:

~Ceadder

Did you change your name? Is Ceadder using yer computer? I has confusion.

Oh, and to the OP:

I had no idea our offense was so awesome that we no longer need to worry about it. Especially since almost all of our wins came at the hands of Hill, who you seem to despise.
  • Mex49
"Our offense is pretty much done and solidified for a few years now" Who is our starting QB? Until that is answered nothing is done or solid.

As for our D, it is not broken!
Originally posted by Moonshae_D:

~Ceadder

Oh, and to the OP:

I had no idea our offense was so awesome that we no longer need to worry about it. Especially since almost all of our wins came at the hands of Hill, who you seem to despise.

No, it's still me...why do you ask?

~Ceadder
Originally posted by Moonshae_D:

~Ceadder

Oh, and to the OP:

Either they're the same two people or they're....

~Ceadder

this.........dont care who said it

[ Edited by Allx9er on Jun 9, 2009 at 12:38:14 ]