There are 131 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Who thinks David Baas should get new contract?

Originally posted by 9ermex:
Originally posted by AKfanster:
I'm with MD on this one. I've never really thought much of Baas and he is the obvious weak-link in our pass protection. He should only be re-signed if he comes cheap.

I'd rather see the team go after a good young center. This would allow us to move Heitmann BACK to guard and it would push Baas back to the bench

I seems that you havent watched any games in the past 2 seasons, the only reason Baas hasnt been playing more is Nolan and thats it. He has played very well EVERY time he has steped into the field. weak link? move Heitman back to guard?? come on! he`s been our center for what? 5 years?? let it go already he is going to retire as a center and a damn good one too, and Baas is going to kick ass and you will have to eat a good ol bowl of crow

Ya, it's been a while. Since Newberry anyway. Doesn't change the fact that Heitmann is a better guard than Baas, that's all I was pointing out.
And I stand by my evaluation of Baas, he is the weak-link in our pass protection.
Originally posted by billybonka:
sign Willis first
Baas needs to have a good season this year if he is to get a new contract. So far he has been very mediocre. If he does not show substantial improvement over last year, he can go try to get a better deal elsewhere. If he does play well over the first eight games, then sign him, but not before he proves he can do more than last year.
Originally posted by 9ermex:
I'm with MD on this one. I've never really thought much of Baas and he is the obvious weak-link in our pass protection. He should only be re-signed if he comes cheap.

I'd rather see the team go after a good young center. This would allow us to move Heitmann BACK to guard and it would push Baas back to the bench

I seems that you havent watched any games in the past 2 seasons, the only reason Baas hasnt been playing more is Nolan and thats it. He has played very well EVERY time he has steped into the field. weak link? move Heitman back to guard?? come on! he`s been our center for what? 5 years?? let it go already he is going to retire as a center and a damn good one too, and Baas is going to kick ass and you will have to eat a good ol bowl of crow

Ya, it's been a while. Since Newberry anyway. Doesn't change the fact that Heitmann is a better guard than Baas, that's all I was pointing out.
And I stand by my evaluation of Baas, he is the weak-link in our pass protection.

He didn't surrender a sack last season and this was playing under the most happy offensive coordinator in Mike Martz. Again what player were some of you watching because Adam Synder was an absolute train wreck at guard.
Originally posted by dj43:
Baas needs to have a good season this year if he is to get a new contract. So far he has been very mediocre. If he does not show substantial improvement over last year, he can go try to get a better deal elsewhere. If he does play well over the first eight games, then sign him, but not before he proves he can do more than last year.

Not even close.
Originally posted by Thizz415:
sign Willis first

this.

Let's see how baas does this season and then decide on what to do.

who started that whole "this." trend.

it doesnt make sense. if you agree, either just quote it and say nothing else, or say "i agree". somebody did it, and everyone thought it was clever, and now its being over exhausted
Yes, definitely, but he should get less than Snyder did. Snyder is more versatile and plays more, however, Baas should see a ton of action this year, finally.
Originally posted by BigMar:
I love how the 9ers are being pro-active signing our young studs like Joe Staley. But why is not massive earth mover David Baas been offered a contract extension. Him and Chilo Rachal are two freak'en beasts on our line!

When he shows he can stay on the field and in the starting lineup.

Agreed. Baas is mediocre at best as an NFL starter. He doesn't have the greatest strength to drive blockers off the ball, has major deficiencies at pulling, and is, in my opinion, simply a stopgap for 2009. Heitmann had to assist Baas in blocking schemes a fair amount in 2008, and I'm not sure that is going to change in one offseason.

He's going to have to really raise his game to gain consideration as the starter in 2010. I don't consider him a bad player, but the team has really upgraded its line the last few years, and LG looks like the one area we could really target for an improvement in 2010.
Originally posted by Niners99:
sign Willis first

this.

it doesnt make sense. if you agree, either just quote it and say nothing else, or say "i agree". somebody did it, and everyone thought it was clever, and now its being over exhausted

th

Originally posted by MadDog49er:

Agreed. Baas is mediocre at best as an NFL starter. He doesn't have the greatest strength to drive blockers off the ball, has major deficiencies at pulling, and is, in my opinion, simply a stopgap for 2009. Heitmann had to assist Baas in blocking schemes a fair amount in 2008, and I'm not sure that is going to change in one offseason.

He's going to have to really raise his game to gain consideration as the starter in 2010. I don't consider him a bad player, but the team has really upgraded its line the last few years, and LG looks like the one area we could really target for an improvement in 2010.

Please provide some kind of proof of your statement, watching taped games Baas didnt need any help from Heitmann that I saw. He seemed a quite capable drive blocker and pass protector. He could of been a little better getting to the second level but every bit as good if not better than Heitmann.
  • soao
  • Veteran
Right now we have some leverage with Baas. If he wants to play out his contract, he risk getting injured this year and loosing everything. It makes sense for him to sign an extension with us at a fair deal for both parties. If we wait until after the season, we have no better chance of signing him as any other team. Do we think he's good enough to be part of Sing's power run vision for the next 4 years? I do; especially if we get him for a little less because we are willing to better the salary he will make on this last year of his rookie contract. He's a 335 pound road grader that has been in our system for 3 years. Who's going to start in his place after next year? No one currently on our roster. I predict that if Baas plays out his contract, he will be one of the most sought after guards in the FA pool. I say take the risk and sign him to an extension now.
Originally posted by Niners99:
sign Willis first

this.

i agree with this

lol
David Baas is a player. Did you guys watch closely? David got better and better and better as the season went on after being inserted into the line-up.