There are 146 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Who thinks David Baas should get new contract?

It this new article it says that Baas has been extended. Is it a mistake, or am I reading it wrong?

"Other players recently extended include outside linebacker Parys Haralson, center Eric Heitmann and left guard David Baas."

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/06/05/SPTK181831.DTL

[ Edited by jta854 on Jun 5, 2009 at 07:54:25 ]
Originally posted by Sactown49er:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by billybonka:
sign Willis first

what he said

What they said
Originally posted by Hopper:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Hopper

Your right about the injuries. It was only one year, but the circumstances where lame. I guess I just thought he was injured more often because usually a second round pick doesn't blow every opportunity he gets to start. Obviously he wasn't going to beat Allen, and Smiley is understandable, but he couldn't beat Synder, Wragge or the rookie Rachal for that matter. In fact, I'm pretty sure he didn't really beat Wragge 08. Wragge just started playing like crap and the Niners pulled him. The point is Baas hasn't shown to be anything special, has lost every battle for the starting postion since entering the league and was part of a mediocre 08 line that ranked in the low 20's in rushing yards and top of the league in sacks. All those factors together gives good reason to think we could do better than Baas.

P.S the Dilfer/JTO vs Hill argument doesn't hold water. Everybody knows Hill is a crappy practice player. How would the coaching staff know he was a gamer? Before the Niners he had take one game snap in like 6 years. Hardly comparable to Baas who actually was a second round pick who got many chances to play, but just never impressed...

Feel free to go back to writing the BAAS autobiography, O defender of the mediocre.

First of all we did give up a ton of sacks, but guess how many sacks Baas was responsible for in nine starts? That would be zero. You can even look for yourself here.
http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/playerstats.asp?id=7209&team=25

Like I said before, Baas never got his shot to to start over Nolan because he was a terrible judge of talent. Sing let Baas start the final nine games at left guard and Bass was excellent in pass protection and he was a great run blocker.

But I can tell why you would confuse Baas for mediocre talent and that's because you obviously don't pay attention to what going on in the trenches.

BTW you missed my point about Dilfer/JTO vs Hill. You laughed at Baas because Nolan let Synder and Wragge start over him. But I made you're logic look bad because Nolan also let Dilfer and Hill start over Hill also. Those points don't mean Hill and Baas are bad players, it just goes back to my original point that Nolan was a terrible judge of talent.

Some of you guys kill me with this, "I watch the trenches crap." Give me a break. Unless you have insider coach's film thats impossible. Network t.v follows the ball. Thats it. Network t.v doesn't follow individual battles. So maybe you get a chance to check out the trenches once in a while, but its not like you have any indepth analysis. My only point on Baas is that I hesitate to pay a guy big money to stay when for most of his career he's been a bench warmer. Remember he was picked 33 overall, imo he barely avoids the B word.

[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Jun 5, 2009 at 07:59:24 ]
You can "be killed" by this "watch the trenches crap" all you want. Fact remains, if you have a DVR, record every game, and watch and replay while carefully scrutinizing individual battles? You can learn much...
david baas
Member Milestone: This is post number 1,200 for Hopper.
Hopper

Your right about the injuries. It was only one year, but the circumstances where lame. I guess I just thought he was injured more often because usually a second round pick doesn't blow every opportunity he gets to start. Obviously he wasn't going to beat Allen, and Smiley is understandable, but he couldn't beat Synder, Wragge or the rookie Rachal for that matter. In fact, I'm pretty sure he didn't really beat Wragge 08. Wragge just started playing like crap and the Niners pulled him. The point is Baas hasn't shown to be anything special, has lost every battle for the starting postion since entering the league and was part of a mediocre 08 line that ranked in the low 20's in rushing yards and top of the league in sacks. All those factors together gives good reason to think we could do better than Baas.

P.S the Dilfer/JTO vs Hill argument doesn't hold water. Everybody knows Hill is a crappy practice player. How would the coaching staff know he was a gamer? Before the Niners he had take one game snap in like 6 years. Hardly comparable to Baas who actually was a second round pick who got many chances to play, but just never impressed...

Feel free to go back to writing the BAAS autobiography, O defender of the mediocre.

First of all we did give up a ton of sacks, but guess how many sacks Baas was responsible for in nine starts? That would be zero. You can even look for yourself here.
http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/playerstats.asp?id=7209&team=25

Like I said before, Baas never got his shot to to start over Nolan because he was a terrible judge of talent. Sing let Baas start the final nine games at left guard and Bass was excellent in pass protection and he was a great run blocker.

But I can tell why you would confuse Baas for mediocre talent and that's because you obviously don't pay attention to what going on in the trenches.

BTW you missed my point about Dilfer/JTO vs Hill. You laughed at Baas because Nolan let Synder and Wragge start over him. But I made you're logic look bad because Nolan also let Dilfer and Hill start over Hill also. Those points don't mean Hill and Baas are bad players, it just goes back to my original point that Nolan was a terrible judge of talent.

Some of you guys kill me with this, "I watch the trenches crap." Give me a break. Unless you have insider coach's film thats impossible. Network t.v follows the ball. Thats it. Network t.v doesn't follow individual battles. So maybe you get a chance to check out the trenches once in a while, but its not like you have any indepth analysis. My only point on Baas is that I hesitate to pay a guy big money to stay when for most of his career he's been a bench warmer. Remember he was picked 33 overall, imo he barely avoids the B word.

Some people tivo the game on the weekend so they can watch it again later and see what match ups were won on the OL/DL. I didn't expect you to realize that though.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
You can "be killed" by this "watch the trenches crap" all you want. Fact remains, if you have a DVR, record every game, and watch and replay while carefully scrutinizing individual battles? You can learn much...

Exactly.
  • nj49erfan
  • Info N/A
Unless he is willing to sign a very reasonable contract right now, which I am sure he is not, let him play out his contract and see how it goes. Worse comes to worse franchise him next year if need be. The franchise tag for guards isn't too bad and we got serious money under the cap.

Take care of P-Willy and then let Mannny Lawson and Baas prove how much they are worth this year if anything.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
He's the weak link on the offensive line, and is going to need a stellar year to receive serious attention from the Niners.

In the end, I believe he has less than a 50% chance of being on the team next year.

Mike Nolan is that you?
  • TOP_CAT
  • Info N/A
Crumpacker of the Chronicle stated in an article today or maybe yesterday(at least that is the time frame when I read it) that Baas had already signed an extension.
I had not seen that anywhere else. Does anyone know if Baas has indeed signed an extention,as Crumpacker said?
Originally posted by TOP_CAT:
Crumpacker of the Chronicle stated in an article today or maybe yesterday(at least that is the time frame when I read it) that Baas had already signed an extension.
I had not seen that anywhere else. Does anyone know if Baas has indeed signed an extention,as Crumpacker said?

No indications of a Baas extension from any of the major 9er news sources.

First Crumpacker seemed to forget Marvel Smith signed with the Niners, now he's confusing Baas with Wragge.
I believe this is a contract year for Baas. I think we should wait a little into the season before firing up negotiations. I have never quite seen him as someone essential to the line as Staley was.

Although it does pain me to see that we don't have much depth at G. I think we may be looking towards the draft again next year. We'll see.

-9fA
  • TOP_CAT
  • Info N/A

No indications of a Baas extension from any of the major 9er news sources.

I have not seen any comfirmation anywhere either. But Crumpacker did write that Baas has been given an extension. He made it sound like it had happened some time ago and not that it was recent news. He was listing some players who have been given extentions and Baas' name was listed.
-----------------------------------------

...update...
I just went to the Chronicle website and looked at the article again( I was going to post the quote for you) and he must have gotten some feedback about his statement because he has now changed the online article to read that Heitmann and Harylson have been extended but Baas' name has been removed. I know it was there earlier because iIread it personally after I read a post on another forum about Crumpacker saying Baas has extended.

Exactly.

Lame. Clearly you dont know what your talking about. I record every game and the fact remains you cant break down film on a play by play basis even if you could slow it down to 1000 clips per second. The film the coaches look at is from a totally diffrent angle. But if you had a REAL football IQ you would know that, arm chair GM....