There are 131 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Who thinks David Baas should get new contract?

Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by Hopper:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by Hopper:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
He's the weak link on the offensive line, and is going to need a stellar year to receive serious attention from the Niners.

In the end, I believe he has less than a 50% chance of being on the team next year.

Word!

Not to mention he is injury prone. Unless he blows the doors off I really dont want us to waist big money on him. He seems like the kind of guy that will be injured half his career.

He was healthy all season genius.

For the first time in his whole Niner career Genius...

Wrong again. He was on the bench most of his career behind guys like Larry Allen, Adam Synder, Tony Wragge and Justin Smiley.

Baas never truly had his chance to start under Nolan like a lot of our young players.

Your right, sign him immediately

Nolan let JTO and Trent Dilfer start over Shaun Hill. I guess we shouldn't have signed him either.

You know nothing.

[ Edited by Hopper on Jun 5, 2009 at 00:03:22 ]
Hopper

Your right about the injuries. It was only one year, but the circumstances where lame. I guess I just thought he was injured more often because usually a second round pick doesn't blow every opportunity he gets to start. Obviously he wasn't going to beat Allen, and Smiley is understandable, but he couldn't beat Synder, Wragge or the rookie Rachal for that matter. In fact, I'm pretty sure he didn't really beat Wragge 08. Wragge just started playing like crap and the Niners pulled him. The point is Baas hasn't shown to be anything special, has lost every battle for the starting postion since entering the league and was part of a mediocre 08 line that ranked in the low 20's in rushing yards and top of the league in sacks. All those factors together gives good reason to think we could do better than Baas.

P.S the Dilfer/JTO vs Hill argument doesn't hold water. Everybody knows Hill is a crappy practice player. How would the coaching staff know he was a gamer? Before the Niners he had take one game snap in like 6 years. Hardly comparable to Baas who actually was a second round pick who got many chances to play, but just never impressed...

Feel free to go back to writing the BAAS autobiography, O defender of the mediocre.

[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Jun 5, 2009 at 00:22:01 ]
  • GoldenGate9er
  • Info N/A
Wasn't Baas also injured (hamstring?) in his rookie year, making him miss most of training camp? I think I remember that.

As I see it, the status of Baas may all depend on Cody Wallace and Alex Boone. If Wallace shows great things, which I am not convinced of, Heitman can be shifted back to Guard, and if Boone shows great things, Snyder might not have to back up Tackle.

Neither of these scenarios would be ideal for the 49ers, however I believe McCloughan would do anything not to have to pay a big price for a Guard like Baas, unless he does something truly amazing this year. Baas will likely ask for a lot of money, and if McCloughan feels that someone (Wragge, Snyder, Wallace) can do almost as well, while a 3rd or 4th round pick next year learns, he probably will not be re-signed.

However, if Baas plays pretty well, none of the aforementioned players shows up in practice, and the O-Line is a strength next year, it will be hard for the 49ers not to re-sign Baas.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Hopper

Your right about the injuries. It was only one year, but the circumstances where lame. I guess I just thought he was injured more often because usually a second round pick doesn't blow every opportunity he gets to start. Obviously he wasn't going to beat Allen, and Smiley is understandable, but he couldn't beat Synder, Wragge or the rookie Rachal for that matter. In fact, I'm pretty sure he didn't really beat Wragge 08. Wragge just started playing like crap and the Niners pulled him. The point is Baas hasn't shown to be anything special, has lost every battle for the starting postion since entering the league and was part of a mediocre 08 line that ranked in the low 20's in rushing yards and top of the league in sacks. All those factors together gives good reason to think we could do better than Baas.

P.S the Dilfer/JTO vs Hill argument doesn't hold water. Everybody knows Hill is a crappy practice player. How would the coaching staff know he was a gamer? Before the Niners he had take one game snap in like 6 years. Hardly comparable to Baas who actually was a second round pick who got many chances to play, but just never impressed...

Feel free to go back to writing the BAAS autobiography, O defender of the mediocre.

First of all we did give up a ton of sacks, but guess how many sacks Baas was responsible for in nine starts? That would be zero. You can even look for yourself here.
http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/playerstats.asp?id=7209&team=25

Like I said before, Baas never got his shot to to start over Nolan because he was a terrible judge of talent. Sing let Baas start the final nine games at left guard and Bass was excellent in pass protection and he was a great run blocker.

But I can tell why you would confuse Baas for mediocre talent and that's because you obviously don't pay attention to what going on in the trenches.

BTW you missed my point about Dilfer/JTO vs Hill. You laughed at Baas because Nolan let Synder and Wragge start over him. But I made you're logic look bad because Nolan also let Dilfer and Hill start over Hill also. Those points don't mean Hill and Baas are bad players, it just goes back to my original point that Nolan was a terrible judge of talent.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
He's the weak link on the offensive line, and is going to need a stellar year to receive serious attention from the Niners.

In the end, I believe he has less than a 50% chance of being on the team next year.

Far from the weakest link last year when Barry Sims and Adam synder gave up a combined 20 sacks.

http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/playerstats.asp?id=7270&team=25
http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/playerstats.asp?id=4913&team=25

[ Edited by Hopper on Jun 5, 2009 at 01:08:09 ]
Originally posted by GoldenGate9er:
Wasn't Baas also injured (hamstring?) in his rookie year, making him miss most of training camp? I think I remember that.

As I see it, the status of Baas may all depend on Cody Wallace and Alex Boone. If Wallace shows great things, which I am not convinced of, Heitman can be shifted back to Guard, and if Boone shows great things, Snyder might not have to back up Tackle.

Neither of these scenarios would be ideal for the 49ers, however I believe McCloughan would do anything not to have to pay a big price for a Guard like Baas, unless he does something truly amazing this year. Baas will likely ask for a lot of money, and if McCloughan feels that someone (Wragge, Snyder, Wallace) can do almost as well, while a 3rd or 4th round pick next year learns, he probably will not be re-signed.

However, if Baas plays pretty well, none of the aforementioned players shows up in practice, and the O-Line is a strength next year, it will be hard for the 49ers not to re-sign Baas.

Several posters in various have made a comment about moving Heit to guard if Wallace is developing well.

Moving your most experienced guy to guard and bringing in a youngster who has never started in the NFL at center strikes me as a little unwise. Center is too important for that
I want him to stay on the team but at the same time I want him to stay on his toes and have to work for that contract year so we get the best out of him. Our OL improved though when Baas replaced Wragge.
  • GoldenGate9er
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by GoldenGate9er:
Wasn't Baas also injured (hamstring?) in his rookie year, making him miss most of training camp? I think I remember that.

As I see it, the status of Baas may all depend on Cody Wallace and Alex Boone. If Wallace shows great things, which I am not convinced of, Heitman can be shifted back to Guard, and if Boone shows great things, Snyder might not have to back up Tackle.

Neither of these scenarios would be ideal for the 49ers, however I believe McCloughan would do anything not to have to pay a big price for a Guard like Baas, unless he does something truly amazing this year. Baas will likely ask for a lot of money, and if McCloughan feels that someone (Wragge, Snyder, Wallace) can do almost as well, while a 3rd or 4th round pick next year learns, he probably will not be re-signed.

However, if Baas plays pretty well, none of the aforementioned players shows up in practice, and the O-Line is a strength next year, it will be hard for the 49ers not to re-sign Baas.

Several posters in various have made a comment about moving Heit to guard if Wallace is developing well.

Moving your most experienced guy to guard and bringing in a youngster who has never started in the NFL at center strikes me as a little unwise. Center is too important for that

I completely agree that Center is too important a position to move a typical youngster to. However, if neither Wragge or Snyder are considered by this staff to be starting material (or if Snyder is simply too valuable as a back-up Tackle) I do not see who else starts at guard besides Baas or Heitman. Guards tend to make more than Centers (they have to be more athletic to pull) so maybe instead of Wallace, a FA comes in.

The point of what I was saying was that Heitman has played Guard before, and could do it again if necessity demanded. This would be far from ideal, but if Baas doesn't do anything special, and Wallace lights it up in practice, the 49ers organization may feel better about a player with two years on the team, entering into his final contract year (he would still have a year of RFA, unless the new CBA is not done) than a FA Center or the prospect of either Snyder or Wragge as starting Guards.
Originally posted by GoldenGate9er:
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by GoldenGate9er:
Wasn't Baas also injured (hamstring?) in his rookie year, making him miss most of training camp? I think I remember that.

As I see it, the status of Baas may all depend on Cody Wallace and Alex Boone. If Wallace shows great things, which I am not convinced of, Heitman can be shifted back to Guard, and if Boone shows great things, Snyder might not have to back up Tackle.

Neither of these scenarios would be ideal for the 49ers, however I believe McCloughan would do anything not to have to pay a big price for a Guard like Baas, unless he does something truly amazing this year. Baas will likely ask for a lot of money, and if McCloughan feels that someone (Wragge, Snyder, Wallace) can do almost as well, while a 3rd or 4th round pick next year learns, he probably will not be re-signed.

However, if Baas plays pretty well, none of the aforementioned players shows up in practice, and the O-Line is a strength next year, it will be hard for the 49ers not to re-sign Baas.

Several posters in various have made a comment about moving Heit to guard if Wallace is developing well.

Moving your most experienced guy to guard and bringing in a youngster who has never started in the NFL at center strikes me as a little unwise. Center is too important for that

I completely agree that Center is too important a position to move a typical youngster to. However, if neither Wragge or Snyder are considered by this staff to be starting material (or if Snyder is simply too valuable as a back-up Tackle) I do not see who else starts at guard besides Baas or Heitman. Guards tend to make more than Centers (they have to be more athletic to pull) so maybe instead of Wallace, a FA comes in.

The point of what I was saying was that Heitman has played Guard before, and could do it again if necessity demanded. This would be far from ideal, but if Baas doesn't do anything special, and Wallace lights it up in practice, the 49ers organization may feel better about a player with two years on the team, entering into his final contract year (he would still have a year of RFA, unless the new CBA is not done) than a FA Center or the prospect of either Snyder or Wragge as starting Guards.

No arguments. Hopefully this year will see the starting line up stable and consistent, and some nice depth as
well.

Fingers crossed!
For those who think I am in error about the RT spot being weaker, my analysis of Baas being the weak link in the OL is based on our projected starting lineup in 2009, not 2008. I think we'll see a substantial improvement with M. Smith. And Rachal should improve as well.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
For those who think I am in error about the RT spot being weaker, my analysis of Baas being the weak link in the OL is based on our projected starting lineup in 2009, not 2008. I think we'll see a substantial improvement with M. Smith. And Rachal should improve as well.

Reasonable depth too........
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 20,841
I'd like to see Baas do it a full season or so. If he looks good this year, extend him before he hits free agency. Maybe after around the 10th game of the season.
Originally posted by Hopper:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Hopper

Your right about the injuries. It was only one year, but the circumstances where lame. I guess I just thought he was injured more often because usually a second round pick doesn't blow every opportunity he gets to start. Obviously he wasn't going to beat Allen, and Smiley is understandable, but he couldn't beat Synder, Wragge or the rookie Rachal for that matter. In fact, I'm pretty sure he didn't really beat Wragge 08. Wragge just started playing like crap and the Niners pulled him. The point is Baas hasn't shown to be anything special, has lost every battle for the starting postion since entering the league and was part of a mediocre 08 line that ranked in the low 20's in rushing yards and top of the league in sacks. All those factors together gives good reason to think we could do better than Baas.

P.S the Dilfer/JTO vs Hill argument doesn't hold water. Everybody knows Hill is a crappy practice player. How would the coaching staff know he was a gamer? Before the Niners he had take one game snap in like 6 years. Hardly comparable to Baas who actually was a second round pick who got many chances to play, but just never impressed...

Feel free to go back to writing the BAAS autobiography, O defender of the mediocre.

First of all we did give up a ton of sacks, but guess how many sacks Baas was responsible for in nine starts? That would be zero. You can even look for yourself here.
http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/playerstats.asp?id=7209&team=25

Like I said before, Baas never got his shot to to start over Nolan because he was a terrible judge of talent. Sing let Baas start the final nine games at left guard and Bass was excellent in pass protection and he was a great run blocker.

But I can tell why you would confuse Baas for mediocre talent and that's because you obviously don't pay attention to what going on in the trenches.

BTW you missed my point about Dilfer/JTO vs Hill. You laughed at Baas because Nolan let Synder and Wragge start over him. But I made you're logic look bad because Nolan also let Dilfer and Hill start over Hill also. Those points don't mean Hill and Baas are bad players, it just goes back to my original point that Nolan was a terrible judge of talent.

Hopper

You have made excellent comments and shown verified statistics. I agree David Bass is dominant in his position. When giving up 0 sacks and crushing defenders as a run blocker, he is absolutely awesome.

I'm happy to see someone fight off the negativity that's grown so rapidly on this forum.

Go Niners
Originally posted by AKfanster:
I'm with MD on this one. I've never really thought much of Baas and he is the obvious weak-link in our pass protection. He should only be re-signed if he comes cheap.

I'd rather see the team go after a good young center. This would allow us to move Heitmann BACK to guard and it would push Baas back to the bench



I seems that you havent watched any games in the past 2 seasons, the only reason Baas hasnt been playing more is Nolan and thats it. He has played very well EVERY time he has steped into the field. weak link? move Heitman back to guard?? come on! he`s been our center for what? 5 years?? let it go already he is going to retire as a center and a damn good one too, and Baas is going to kick ass and you will have to eat a good ol bowl of crow
Anyone who closely watched last year's games simply can not accurately state that Baas was our weakest link. Clearly, our RT spot was a fluctuating mess. Baas played extremely well. Only complaints for him is that he often lacks the ability (speed) for pulling far wide and getting exactly where he is required to be for a block. His effort so far in zone blocking is good, but sometimes, it can confuse him. Otherwise, Baas is looking like a very solid OG for years to come. I just hope it's in SF for those years.