LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 278 users in the forums

Levi's Stadium pics and info...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
the arizona cardinals get voted by the players as the best field to play on year after year...WE USE THE SAME GRASS AS THEY DO

And their field always looks crappy too so there you go
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
the arizona cardinals get voted by the players as the best field to play on year after year...WE USE THE SAME GRASS AS THEY DO

And their field always looks crappy too so there you go
one big oversight on the subject of AZs field

They can move it outside of the stadium

• HERN
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DRnSFw:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by captveg:
Divots in grass are normal. You want the grass to give rather than player's joints, actually. I've seen nothing to suggest Levi's has worse divots than any other grass field these days.

Yeah me neither, I dont get it.

I think they are used to artificial turf so looking at grass fly everywhere upsets them for some reason

Bingo.

The expectation is the grass look pristine AFTER a game. Doesn't work that way.

i never noticed so many divots at Candlestick like I do at Levi's and that's a fact

your anecdotal observations are not facts, lol

You sir have given me a new word. I feel so intalugent now.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

So, why the hell is our field so crappy?
Originally posted by mayo49:

Lol this
Originally posted by SFGiant49ers:

Lol this

The answer is above
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

Lol this

The answer is above

The simplest answer is that the sod has never had time to take root.

Before the stadium even opened in 2014 they brought in the wrong base of sand and gravel. Had to dig it all up and replace it.

In 2015 the sod was replaced about 4 times, twice in two weeks. After concerts and soccer games. Tomsula had to move practices off of Levi's field to the practice field. Then run the team practice at Levis that was open to the public at half speed because of the poor field conditions. The field was replaced again for the Super Bowl.

Shallow rooting first 2 weeks.
This sensitive root-growing period must not be disturbed by stressing the turf with foot traffic or lawnmowers. Keep all weight off of the turf -- roots easily pull out of the soil if you push down on the sod as it is establishing itself.

I usually takes 30-45 days for roots to fully establish. Prob longer at Levi's with that brutal sun.

With the ongoing use of the stadium for multiple events the sod they keep replacing simply doesn't have time to fully root to keep it from peeling up.

Coldplay has a concert at Levi's on Oct. 4th. If they replace the sod again on the 5th and 6th that's only 16 days until the 49ers play the Cowboys on the new turf.

The wicked circle of shallow rooted sod at Levi's

Should just put in a fake grass field and call it a day.

I didn't know that it is. Saw the Cards Cowboys game last night, I saw lots of grass flying around. Which is usually what happens on a grass field.
Originally posted by SoCold:

Lol this

The answer is above

Before the stadium even opened in 2014 they brought in the wrong base of sand and gravel. Had to dig it all up and replace it.

In 2015 the sod was replaced about 4 times, twice in two weeks. After concerts and soccer games. Tomsula had to move practices off of Levi's field to the practice field. Then run the team practice at Levis that was open to the public at half speed because of the poor field conditions. The field was replaced again for the Super Bowl.

This sensitive root-growing period must not be disturbed by stressing the turf with foot traffic or lawnmowers. Keep all weight off of the turf -- roots easily pull out of the soil if you push down on the sod as it is establishing itself.

I usually takes 30-45 days for roots to fully establish. Prob longer at Levi's with that brutal sun.

With the ongoing use of the stadium for multiple events the sod they keep replacing simply doesn't have time to fully root to keep it from peeling up.

Coldplay has a concert at Levi's on Oct. 4th. If they replace the sod again on the 5th and 6th that's only 16 days until the 49ers play the Cowboys on the new turf.

that is not the correct answer to why AZ Cardinals field is looks a little better
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on Sep 26, 2017 at 9:45 AM ]
AZ & SF fields do look a bit dry from a viewers stand point but I think that's attributed to what they are using.

(not that its a s**tty field)
[ Edited by DonnieDarko on Sep 26, 2017 at 9:50 AM ]

• SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb

Lol this

The answer is above

that is not the correct answer to why AZ Cardinals field is looks a little better

In bold is the question I was answering.

I didn't know that it is. Saw the Cards Cowboys game last night, I saw lots of grass flying around. Which is usually what happens on a grass field.

Exactly.
Just put some astro turf

Lol this

The answer is above

i assumed people here already knew why ours is what it is since this has been a ongoing discussion. Especially coming from Mayo
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb

Lol this

The answer is above

i assumed people here already knew why ours is what it is since this has been a ongoing discussion. Especially coming from Mayo

So now we can all agree it's a problem why doesn't Jed just fix it?
Share 49ersWebzone