There are 257 users in the forums

ESPN's Mike Sando on the 49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
The big difference we'll see is the OL moving forward at the snap, not in retreat, as we did under Martz.
Sounds like Sando was trying to make excuses for the line's bad play last year.
Contributors to last year's OL issues were:

- Martz. His system wasn't conducive with our OL...and a QB (JTO) who held onto the ball waaay too long.

- No FB. There was no one to lead any of our RB's into the hole.

- Gore was gimpy. FG wasn't himself last season...Foster did ok, but he was in the same situation Gore was. The offensive system wasn't set up for a power running game.

- Instability. Once Baas and Rachal became regular starters, the OL play improved. They were still hamstrung by Martz' system, though. RT was problematic all season...with a healthy M. Smith, it shouldn't be.

So, my forecast is brighter for our OL...if the starters remain reasonably healthy. After Wragge and Snyder, the depth is somewhat questionable. We need Boone, Bender, or someone to step up and provide better OT depth. It'd be great to find another Snyder...someone who can play both OG and OT.
Originally posted by Rathman_44:
"•The decision to play Chilo Rachal at right guard late in the season was a move made with the long-term future in mind. He probably wasn't as consistent as he might be in the future. I cannot document that; it might not be true; but it is my impression."

This is journalism at it's finest! It might not be true; but it is my impression. As a graduate of the University of Florida Journalism school - you never print your impression. You report facts not impressions.

Megan Fox is in love with me. It might not be true, but it is my impression.

what? dude, you are lucky.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Contributors to last year's OL issues were:

- Martz. His system wasn't conducive with our OL...and a QB (JTO) who held onto the ball waaay too long.

- No FB. There was no one to lead any of our RB's into the hole.

- Gore was gimpy. FG wasn't himself last season...Foster did ok, but he was in the same situation Gore was. The offensive system wasn't set up for a power running game.

- Instability. Once Baas and Rachal became regular starters, the OL play improved. They were still hamstrung by Martz' system, though. RT was problematic all season...with a healthy M. Smith, it shouldn't be.

So, my forecast is brighter for our OL...if the starters remain reasonably healthy. After Wragge and Snyder, the depth is somewhat questionable. We need Boone, Bender, or someone to step up and provide better OT depth. It'd be great to find another Snyder...someone who can play both OG and OT.

The Niners will have a host of guys competing for that backup LT and RT spot.
Originally posted by toppdogg32:
I either dont get Sando's point...Or he didnt make one

Hahahah, I was thinking the same thing.
found this thread from the off-season lol
So Sando though our O-Line might have been good this year?
Bringing a thread back from the dead.

This one makes my blood angry!!!!!!!!

prognostications are quite funny later on in most cases with NFL football.
Our o-line is not a strength at all this season.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
The big difference we'll see is the OL moving forward at the snap, not in retreat, as we did under Martz.

Still like to fire the oline coach!
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

Still like to fire the oline coach!

I am down with that...
Share 49ersWebzone