There are 217 users in the forums

ESPN's Mike Sando on the 49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Sando's point, in my opinion is that you couldn't clearly evaluate the oline last year because Singletary was trying to establish a point and that the right side of the line was in flux. A lot will depend on the maturation of Rachal, the health of Smith, and the philosophy of the OC. So he was holding a final judgment until we have more evidence.
I think our line will be in the middle of the pack this year and for the majority of the season will play ok. Now im more worried about the the oline picking up the blitz because last year they couldn't do it.
Well i think he's just stating that we are still a work in progress and I think thats a fair assumption. I mean no one should be talking Super Bowl this year, but I am very eager to see how we fare. With the O-line it's just like any other comparison. It's all in the way you look at it. On one side you have those fans that say they worked wonders under Sing, and then those that say if your talking about a positive vibe then that he has, but for actual o-line improvement to where it makes you say uh oh look out, no where near that yet and the stats prove the latter.

So as i stated it's all in the way you look at it individually.
Here's what idiot Joyner should be looking at:

Nolan's record: 2-5
Singletary's: 5-4. Nuff said.
Originally posted by Thizz415:
I think our line will be in the middle of the pack this year and for the majority of the season will play ok. Now im more worried about the the oline picking up the blitz because last year they couldn't do it.

With Hill at QB, we will probably do a lot more short passes like screens and short passes to the TE since Hills game is better on the short to mid range stuff.

That should help with the blitzes.
  • dmax
  • Veteran
what in the world was this guy writing about?
Originally posted by dmax:
what in the world was this guy writing about?

Read KC Joyner's post and you'll get the idea. Basically, Joyner was saying Singletary's hiring hurt our OL and stuff, and the run was less productive under Singletary. Sando is saying that you can't judge the run stats and come to a conclusion the way Joyner did because the right side of the OL was in flux, there were a few injuries, and that just the threat of running more helped us pull out wins overall.
Originally posted by toppdogg32:
I either dont get Sando's point...Or he didnt make one

Only point I could see was that we ran the ball more than Martz would have liked.

~Ceadder
  • smashmouth49
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by PTulini:
How to Measure the 49ers Offensive Line

Call me crazy, but I actually think the O-Line may be a strength this year.

Staley-Baas-Heitmann-Rachal-Smith

If, and its a big IF, they stay healthy, I think thats the makings of a big bruising line.

Your crazy. Actually I agree but, hate how many "ifs". Staley/Bass/Heitmann are known commodities and are quite mediocre. Staley can't pass block the faster pass rushers. Chilo played last year like a rookie (of course) and Sims was awful. Smith if .... if.....
Everything has to fall in place perfectly. That makes for a long shot.

Rather call you crazy than bet my house on your prediction.

As soon as I saw his bio and realized he has been in Seattle covering the Seahawks for the past 8 seasons I didnt even care to read his opinion...

Originally posted by smashmouth49:

If, and its a big IF, they stay healthy, I think thats the makings of a big bruising line.

Your crazy. Actually I agree but, hate how many "ifs". Staley/Bass/Heitmann are known commodities and are quite mediocre. Staley can't pass block the faster pass rushers. Chilo played last year like a rookie (of course) and Sims was awful. Smith if .... if.....
Everything has to fall in place perfectly. That makes for a long shot.

Rather call you crazy than bet my house on your prediction.

I agree with you on Staley. He is easily the most overrated player on the team IMO. I'm not saying he's garbage, far from it. Staley is just an avg LT, who IMO, should be playing on the right side.

I disagree about Heitmann. He is the best player on the line IMO. It would be nice to see him back at GUARD, but he seems to be stuck at center for the remainder of his Niner career. IF we had a decent center, Heitmann could slide back to guard and the line would be pretty good.

I'm drinking the same koolaid. I believe it's really going to come down to injuries and seeing if Smith's back can hold out. I was watching the Steelers vs Colts playoff game from 07'. The guy was a beast at left tackle.
Originally posted by highwayone:

Nolan's record: 2-5
Singletary's: 5-4. Nuff said.

And beyond that, we'll just have to wait 'til they put the pads on in August.

Originally posted by redrathman:
Originally posted by Rathman_44:
"•The decision to play Chilo Rachal at right guard late in the season was a move made with the long-term future in mind. He probably wasn't as consistent as he might be in the future. I cannot document that; it might not be true; but it is my impression."

This is journalism at it's finest! It might not be true; but it is my impression. As a graduate of the University of Florida Journalism school - you never print your impression. You report facts not impressions.

Megan Fox is in love with me. It might not be true, but it is my impression.

It's his opinion. He isn't writing a thesis or for AP. He is absolutely entitled to state his impressions based on his perceptions.

Also, did you even read KC Joyner's article? He stated the 49ers running game got worse after Nolan was fired. This may have been more about Gore's injuries, a lack of fullback and new blood on the line. In this way, we can say the 49ers offensive line will be better than last year based solely on the unmeasurable factors of youth progression, consistency and health.

1. Nice name - props for bringing back the big guy.

2. I did not read Joyner's article, but even if I had - I would have a problem with this quote.

3. Anyone (even a "journalist") that undermines their own opinion by saying in essence that he has no reason to believe what he is saying shouldn't be given a forum to say it. If he cannot say in a confident manner that Rachal was inconsistent, then he should not say it. He could have even said "with the limited film that I saw, Rachal looked inconsistent." This is an example of lazy journalism and is a huge reason why people look at journalists like they do lawyers.
  • 9erThrowBack
  • Info N/A
All I want is never to hear Martz again say, "They'll learn to block eventually..."
Share 49ersWebzone