There are 225 users in the forums

ESPN's Mike Sando on the 49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
How to Measure the 49ers Offensive Line
Originally posted by PTulini:

Call me crazy, but I actually think the O-Line may be a strength this year.

Staley-Baas-Heitmann-Rachal-Smith

If, and its a big IF, they stay healthy, I think thats the makings of a big bruising line.
I either dont get Sando's point...Or he didnt make one
hopefully the line holds up and stays healthy! i like how we're gonna open up the run to set up our pass. and vice versa! we have so many weapons at reciever that it might be the pass to set up the run game! can't wait to see how the o-line does this year! stay healthy
To bad we dont have Bobb Mc. Kittrick, he'd do wonders with THIS line
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
"I cannot document that; it might not be true; but it is my impression."

"•The decision to play Chilo Rachal at right guard late in the season was a move made with the long-term future in mind. He probably wasn't as consistent as he might be in the future. I cannot document that; it might not be true; but it is my impression."

This is journalism at it's finest! It might not be true; but it is my impression. As a graduate of the University of Florida Journalism school - you never print your impression. You report facts not impressions.

Megan Fox is in love with me. It might not be true, but it is my impression.
ALEX BOONE a.k.a DA MAULER!!! FTW!
Originally posted by toppdogg32:
I either dont get Sando's point...Or he didnt make one

I asked Mike Sando that question via his Facebook page. I asked him...

Quote:
What exactly are you saying about the 49ers offensive line?

He responded with...

Quote:
I wouldn't necessarily grade it down for lower per-carry averages late in the season.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by PTulini:

Call me crazy, but I actually think the O-Line may be a strength this year.

Staley-Baas-Heitmann-Rachal-Smith

If, and its a big IF, they stay healthy, I think thats the makings of a big bruising line.

I agree, I think that IF Marvel Smith is healthy and stays healthy, he will be a bige upgrade over Barry Sims at RT. I think Rachal who was pretty solid as a rookie last season, will be even better in his second season while Baas should only get better and Staley entering his 3rd NFL season and 2nd as a LT, will only get better as well and I think he can be close to a pro bowl LT.

Our sacks are gunna be cut in half this year.

No more 7 step drops that were constantly happening last year.
  • Adman
  • Veteran
I agree...that article didn't really have a point to it or an opinion.

kinda strange.
Originally posted by Rathman_44:
"•The decision to play Chilo Rachal at right guard late in the season was a move made with the long-term future in mind. He probably wasn't as consistent as he might be in the future. I cannot document that; it might not be true; but it is my impression."

This is journalism at it's finest! It might not be true; but it is my impression. As a graduate of the University of Florida Journalism school - you never print your impression. You report facts not impressions.

Megan Fox is in love with me. It might not be true, but it is my impression.

It's his opinion. He isn't writing a thesis or for AP. He is absolutely entitled to state his impressions based on his perceptions.

Also, did you even read KC Joyner's article? He stated the 49ers running game got worse after Nolan was fired. This may have been more about Gore's injuries, a lack of fullback and new blood on the line. In this way, we can say the 49ers offensive line will be better than last year based solely on the unmeasurable factors of youth progression, consistency and health.
Originally posted by Adman:
I agree...that article didn't really have a point to it or an opinion.

kinda strange.

Sure it did. KC Joyner says the offensive line got worse statistically after Nolan was fired, calling into question Singletary's approach. Sando points to three mitigating factors that counter Joyner's statistics.

The 49ers may not have been productive in the running game, but the threat and purpose of it allowed them to succeed and win games (see Buffalo).
Basically he's countering KC Joyner's blog post so if you didn't read that than the post won't make a lot of sense.

Basically KC Joyner's post looked at a lot of stats mainly the lines Point Of Attack stats and they got worse under Singletary compared to Nolan which leads Joyner to question Singletary's approach.

Sando I think is basically saying that you probably can't completely look at those stats to determine whether Singletary's approach and he lists the reason he feels that could've lead to worse stats under Sing.
Share 49ersWebzone