There are 146 users in the forums

Vernon Davis "is the focal point"

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I think the reason so much is made of this is, it's not just drops, it's what he does after he does catch the ball. He doesn't get much YAC and that's inexcusable for a guy his size and with that vaunted speed. When he stops the juking and just lets physics take over, he will be much more effective and maybe, finally, deserve that #6 pick. The good news is that he has seemed to apply himself in the off-season and was looking better in mini-camp and OTA's.
  • NinerNZ
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by 4evrfan:
I think the reason so much is made of this is, it's not just drops, it's what he does after he does catch the ball. He doesn't get much YAC and that's inexcusable for a guy his size and with that vaunted speed. When he stops the juking and just lets physics take over, he will be much more effective and maybe, finally, deserve that #6 pick. The good news is that he has seemed to apply himself in the off-season and was looking better in mini-camp and OTA's.

I wish that would change but I doubt it. VD thinks of himself as other than what he actually is. OTAs are like the combine . . . meaningless, once the pads go on.

As for being the "focal point"
Raye said the tight end will be the focal point, not Davis. And the rookie they drafted sounded anxious to get some balls thrown his way. I could see the rookie becoming a big surprise before Davis ever lives up to his contract and draft status. My question for Raye would be why make a position the focal point when you don't have great talent on the team at that position?
Originally posted by NorthNiner:
Raye said the tight end will be the focal point, not Davis. And the rookie they drafted sounded anxious to get some balls thrown his way. I could see the rookie becoming a big surprise before Davis ever lives up to his contract and draft status. My question for Raye would be why make a position the focal point when you don't have great talent on the team at that position?

My guess is he believes Vernon and Delanie are still very talented.
Originally posted by NorthNiner:

Talent? Oh, give me a break. Raye knows a lot more about talent than you do and I'm sure what he sees is the fastest tight end he's ever coached. I'm sure he sees a dominating blocker who also has the physical gifts needed to outrun defensive backs.
I heard that before...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBmdWUPlCns
a blocking tight end as the centerpiece to our offense

overpaid underachiever
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BrodieFan:
Serious question for Kizray - as the board's most vocal critic of Vernon Davis, what will it take for you to get off his back? What kind of a season would Davis have to have to make you glad he's the #1 TE on the team?

1st question:
It actually has nothing to do with what numbers he puts up. It has everything to do with how much hype and hope you guys have for him. If you guys would just see him as what he is. An average TE. All would be fine in krizay land. He's nothing special. He doesn't do anything more than most other TE's. Aside from the fact he had a great combine. Which doesn't translate to the field apparently.

Stop the hype, I'll stop the gripe!

2nd question:
If we become a constant playoff team. Then I could care less he's on our team. I keep reading where posters think we're a few players away. In my opinion we missed out on a chance to get one of those players by taking a freakin TE at #6. Now that's not to say who we would took woulda panned out. But atleast we would have attempted to address a greater need than to make a luxury pick. So the simple answer is, when we start winning again.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Chief:
I don't understand where people get the "hands of stone" crap. He dropped about 5 passes and is no where near the top of the list in the NFL. Some of these same people wanted to trade for Braylon Edwards. Anyway, Vernon has given a great deal and has proved himself as a blocker when we ran a Mike Martz offense. His skill set has been underused and has the potential to be a great receiving tightend for the 49ers. In my opinion, the only thing holding him back has been the play book, not him.

Call it the Kwame Harris effect! Kwame harris wasn't as bad as people made him out to be. It's just when he was bad it usually cost us a big play. A big play that 50% of the time wouldn't have happened had he not did what he did. But anyway, alot of Vern's drops are on big plays. Which gets magnified more just like Kwame!
Originally posted by krizay:
Serious question for Kizray - as the board's most vocal critic of Vernon Davis, what will it take for you to get off his back? What kind of a season would Davis have to have to make you glad he's the #1 TE on the team?

1st question:
It actually has nothing to do with what numbers he puts up. It has everything to do with how much hype and hope you guys have for him. If you guys would just see him as what he is. An average TE. All would be fine in krizay land. He's nothing special. He doesn't do anything more than most other TE's. Aside from the fact he had a great combine. Which doesn't translate to the field apparently.

2nd question:
If we become a constant playoff team. Then I could care less he's on our team. I keep reading where posters think we're a few players away. In my opinion we missed out on a chance to get one of those players by taking a freakin TE at #6. Now that's not to say who we would took woulda panned out. But atleast we would have attempted to address a greater need than to make a luxury pick. So the simple answer is, when we start winning again.

I'm sure you realize that you didn't answer either question.

• krizay
  • Veteran

1st question:

2nd question:

Sorry you didn't get what you were looking for. But I answered as honestly as I could.
TTIUWAPOAMSIH

(this thread is useless without a pic of a monkey shaking its head)
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
TTIUWAPOAMSIH

(this thread is useless without a pic of a monkey shaking its head)

Sorry you didn't get what you were looking for. But I answered as honestly as I could.
No, you didn't answer the question. Let me re-phrase it for you: what level of performance measured in game results would Davis have to display for you to feel he is a legitimate number one tight end producing at levels one would expect from a top 10 pick. If you can't tell me what would make you happy about the guy, then you're complaints about the guy are just the result of your own personal problem with the player.
sorry about the typos - how many touchdowns, how many yards, what?
Share 49ersWebzone