There are 212 users in the forums

The WR position, who starts and who sits?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by jayb49er:
Originally posted by 49ersnum1:
Ok. We've improved the WR position MAJORLY over the last 3-4 seasons. We've gotten better from top too bottom, and this seems to be the most talented WR core since Rice, Owens and Stokes. But the big question is now who starts and who sits. We drafted Crabtree number 1, Josh Morgan has MASSIVE potential and showcased it last year his rookie season, Isaac Bruce was our number 1 last season, we just signed Brandon Jones to nifty contract, and Jason Hill is looking good.. This is how I would put em, if i were running the show..
1. Josh Morgan - Proved he has skills, should take off as a starter.
2. Michael Crabtree - To good to sit, the kid HAS to start and WILL make plays!
3. Isaac Bruce - Gets the slot position and can still ball. should be tremendous help for the young ones.
4. Jason Hill - Hill begins as a back up, but could start if JM or Crabs goes down, will be the slot for the next years when Bruce is gone.
5. Brandon Jones - Brandon Jones will get PT, should be a nice rotation if Jones is a 5th receiver.
6. Arnaz Battle/Dominque Ziegler - One or the other may get cut, Sing will make the right decision as I like both guys.

I like this but the niners have said all offseason that crabtree and morgan will play the same "x" position. I wouldn't mind seeing morgan and bruce start off the season with crabtree at slot. I am also worried that they might feel obligated to play jones due to his signing bonus.

I think the 9ers might be able to trade Battle for a 5th or 6th rounder. I rather that happen versus the 9ers simply release him.
Originally posted by TheGoldStandard:
1. Josh Morgan - Not only should start, but should be our go-to number 1.
2. Michael Crabtree/Brandon Jones - Crabtree should get most of the PT especially after the bye, but when Jones get in it should be for the rook.
3. Issac Bruce - should see plenty of time as the slot/mentor to our young guys.
4. Jason Hill - should be groomed to take Bruce's spot, as that will be his role in the future.
5. - Battle/Ziggy - spot guys, backups in case of injury.

Co signed
Originally posted by matt49er:
Originally posted by TheGoldStandard:
1. Josh Morgan - Not only should start, but should be our go-to number 1.
2. Michael Crabtree/Brandon Jones - Crabtree should get most of the PT especially after the bye, but when Jones get in it should be for the rook.
3. Issac Bruce - should see plenty of time as the slot/mentor to our young guys.
4. Jason Hill - should be groomed to take Bruce's spot, as that will be his role in the future.
5. - Battle/Ziggy - spot guys, backups in case of injury.

Co signed

Once again I'll say that I think J. Hill will carry the slot position on his own unless (knock on wood) he has injuries. He excelled in that spot last season and I think his strong last few games gives him the chance to start.

Bruce's leadership the 2nd half of the season will come through practice, and mentally approaching the playoffs. I see him more as a utility man that can step in for Morgan or Hill since they seem to carry lingering injuries along with them throughout the season.
  • 49forLyfe
  • Info N/A
I personally think Crab has to start from jump. Also Morgan has to start with Hill in the slot that gives us the best chance to win. They are our playmakers and young playmakers at that so its best they bond now under sing and i think top 5 offense with davis and walker along with gore coffee & sheets(3headed monster imo) depending on how the oline plays & our main man S.Hill can you sayyyyy PLAYOFFS n 09 GO NINERS been a long time coming!!!!!!!!
i read one of the Barrow's articles on the OTA's and he gives praise to Brandon Jones.

"A couple of the receivers who stood out were Josh Morgan and newcomer Brandon Jones. Morgan probably practiced a lot more than expected given injuries and absences at the position. He didn't seem to mind. He was effective at both the "X" and "Z" receiver spots and with both long and short passes. Jones, meanwhile, appears to be every bit as fast as advertised. I don't recall him dropping any passes over the four-day session."

Maybe we are underestimating him and see the end the season with Morgan/Jones/Crabtree in this or another order. Bruce, I feel, will slowly fade due to the athleticism and speed that the other receivers have, yet will still see a couple of series of playing time per game. Throw in Hill instead of Bruce, or even with Bruce, and we could see a lot of spreading the field and many crossing/intermediate passing that opens up our smashmouth offense. Of course, none of us will know how we will look until August... and it's not even June. In the end, barring injury, I hope that Morgan/Crabtree solidify their spots as the future WRs that we have so desperately been in need for for so long. Could it be a Fitz/Boldin type combo with Hill/Jones waiting in the wings and a good RB duo and great TE? I sure would love it! With another year under the belt the 2010-11 season could see us with an extremely skilled and potent offense. (I'm giving a year of learning curve for our team with Raye -- working out the kinks/giving the experience) Lets go 9rs!
Originally posted by jayb49er:
Ok. We've improved the WR position MAJORLY over the last 3-4 seasons. We've gotten better from top too bottom, and this seems to be the most talented WR core since Rice, Owens and Stokes. But the big question is now who starts and who sits. We drafted Crabtree number 1, Josh Morgan has MASSIVE potential and showcased it last year his rookie season, Isaac Bruce was our number 1 last season, we just signed Brandon Jones to nifty contract, and Jason Hill is looking good.. This is how I would put em, if i were running the show..
1. Josh Morgan - Proved he has skills, should take off as a starter.
2. Michael Crabtree - To good to sit, the kid HAS to start and WILL make plays!
3. Isaac Bruce - Gets the slot position and can still ball. should be tremendous help for the young ones.
4. Jason Hill - Hill begins as a back up, but could start if JM or Crabs goes down, will be the slot for the next years when Bruce is gone.
5. Brandon Jones - Brandon Jones will get PT, should be a nice rotation if Jones is a 5th receiver.
6. Arnaz Battle/Dominque Ziegler - One or the other may get cut, Sing will make the right decision as I like both guys.

I like this but the niners have said all offseason that crabtree and morgan will play the same "x" position. I wouldn't mind seeing morgan and bruce start off the season with crabtree at slot. I am also worried that they might feel obligated to play jones due to his signing bonus.

yeah i think i heard that or read it in espn mag. but thats stupid! they are both clearly the most talented WR we have, one should play x and the other z!! they both need to start and be on the field! its like saying Boldin and Fitz are both playing x, only one will start lol

That wont happen, Singletary knows what he needs to win and if Crabs/Morgan are the best 2 then they will start! IMO bruce will be #1 or 2 to start the season....
Why are people saying that Crabtree has to start from the beginning? We have pretty good WR depth, so why not let him split time and learn to play in the league. He's going to have to learn how to get separation and beat the press at the line of scrimmage, so why rush him? It usually takes WRs a couple years to hit their stride in the pros. Yes there have been exceptions, but they tend to be athletic freaks. I'd like to see him back up at all three WR positions.

And for those saying Bruce should play the slot, it's not going to happen. He is neither quick or shifty enough to be a slot receiver. He'll play the Flanker position and when he's in, one of the younger guys will shift to the slot.

My guess would be:

Bruce/Jones = Flanker
Morgan = Split End
Hill = Slot

Crabtree will see plenty of time, but be moved around.
Originally posted by 49ersMan420:

That wont happen, Singletary knows what he needs to win and if Crabs/Morgan are the best 2 then they will start! IMO bruce will be #1 or 2 to start the season....

Agree @ #1 to start, but not to end. Bruce will be the mentor Morgan/Hill/Crabtree need. With him guiding and them growing in confidence, I cannot wait to see the potential our WR core has. What are those 3? All under 23 and brimming with potential? Makes me pretty excited for a couple years down the road -- or who knows maybe I'm being underoptimistic -- it could be this year?
Originally posted by BMore9ersfan:
Why are people saying that Crabtree has to start from the beginning? We have pretty good WR depth, so why not let him split time and learn to play in the league. He's going to have to learn how to get separation and beat the press at the line of scrimmage, so why rush him? It usually takes WRs a couple years to hit their stride in the pros. Yes there have been exceptions, but they tend to be athletic freaks. I'd like to see him back up at all three WR positions.

And for those saying Bruce should play the slot, it's not going to happen. He is neither quick or shifty enough to be a slot receiver. He'll play the Flanker position and when he's in, one of the younger guys will shift to the slot.

My guess would be:

Bruce/Jones = Flanker
Morgan = Split End
Hill = Slot

Crabtree will see plenty of time, but be moved around.

I think Crabtree should start because he could be the best WR on the field when it comes to the beginning of the season. I think that's what everyone is hoping for and that = production + wins = happy fans and good looks at the front office.
i think Morgan and Jones will probably start with Hill in the slot. crabtree will play a lot but i dont think he starts until he gets a couple games under his belt. by seasons end tho it will be morgan and crabtree, unless jones is having a huge year. i really dont care, iim perfectly happy with the niners playing the hot hand at receiver. whoever iis getting results should play, we have enough talent to have a good rotation

1. Bruce- solid vet with great hands, still produces, but will be spelled from time to time by the #3's below.

2. Morgan-breakout year!

3. B. Jones / Crabtree. -This one will come down to the end of the preseason i expect. Jones has allot to prove, yet so does crabtree. but jones has been around little bit to know some stuff where as to crabtree it will take him a bit to grasp the do's & don'ts. But i see crabtree being a huge part in the offense. maybe not right off the bat, but he will by mid season.

4. Hill-still allot of ?'s but he has shown flashes.

5. Battle-he's got the expeirence at best

we should be keeping 6 and that's my best guess
Originally posted by wailers15:
1. Bruce- solid vet with great hands, still produces, but will be spelled from time to time by the #3's below.

2. Morgan-breakout year!

3. B. Jones / Crabtree. -This one will come down to the end of the preseason i expect. Jones has allot to prove, yet so does crabtree. but jones has been around little bit to know some stuff where as to crabtree it will take him a bit to grasp the do's & don'ts. But i see crabtree being a huge part in the offense. maybe not right off the bat, but he will by mid season.

4. Hill-still allot of ?'s but he has shown flashes.

5. Battle-he's got the expeirence at best

we should be keeping 6 and that's my best guess

i think Hill came on strong last year dude. dont count him out either. i think he's primed to break out this year
Bruce and Morgan will start, with Hill playing the slot. Jones will probably rotate in.

But, by the end of the year, Jones, Morgan and Crabtree will be rotating and Bruce will ride off into the sunset.
Originally posted by ninergold:
Bruce and Morgan will start, with Hill playing the slot. Jones will probably rotate in.

But, by the end of the year, Jones, Morgan and Crabtree will be rotating and Bruce will ride off into the sunset.

dont sleep on jason hill dude. dude is gonna get off this year. he looked really good last year
WOW!! A conversation on the 49er receiving corps without a question about when are we goign to get a true #1!!! I thought this day would never come!!!

Like many others I think we'll see Morgan and Bruce at X and Z respectively with Hill in the slot. Jones will spell Morgan and act as 1st off the bench. Crabtree will spell Bruce until the point that he is in full command of the position (could be after bye week). Once Crabtree is fully up to speed he'll be starting opposite Morgan or Jones and Bruce will become the 3rd down possession guy off the bench.

The bigger question is - who gets cut/traded? I doubt we'll keep more than 5 receivers on the roster. Unfortunately I don't see a home for Battle. He's been a solid contributor but the talent level has changed and in my opinion he's on the bubble. Zeigler is also a talented player who may get moved. I'd like to see him stick around but if the team is committed to keeping Bruce (and I think they should) he could be the odd man out.

Some tough calls ahead.
Share 49ersWebzone