LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 165 users in the forums

The WR position, who starts and who sits?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Ok. We've improved the WR position MAJORLY over the last 3-4 seasons. We've gotten better from top too bottom, and this seems to be the most talented WR core since Rice, Owens and Stokes. But the big question is now who starts and who sits. We drafted Crabtree number 1, Josh Morgan has MASSIVE potential and showcased it last year his rookie season, Isaac Bruce was our number 1 last season, we just signed Brandon Jones to nifty contract, and Jason Hill is looking good.. This is how I would put em, if i were running the show..
1. Josh Morgan - Proved he has skills, should take off as a starter.
2. Michael Crabtree - To good to sit, the kid HAS to start and WILL make plays!
3. Isaac Bruce - Gets the slot position and can still ball. should be tremendous help for the young ones.
4. Jason Hill - Hill begins as a back up, but could start if JM or Crabs goes down, will be the slot for the next years when Bruce is gone.
5. Brandon Jones - Brandon Jones will get PT, should be a nice rotation if Jones is a 5th receiver.
6. Arnaz Battle/Dominque Ziegler - One or the other may get cut, Sing will make the right decision as I like both guys.
[ Edited by 49ersnum1 on May 25, 2009 at 12:11 AM ]
Originally posted by 49ersnum1:
Ok. We've improved the WR position MAJORLY over the last 3-4 seasons. We've gotten better from top too bottom, and this seems to be the most talented WR core since Rice, Owens and Stokes. But the big question is now who starts and who sits. We drafted Crabtree number 1, Josh Morgan has MASSIVE potential and showcased it last year his rookie season, Isaac Bruce was our number 1 last season, we just signed Brandon Jones to nifty contract, and Jason Hill is looking good.. This is how I would put em, if i were running the show..
3. Isaac Bruce - Gets the slot position and can still ball. should be tremendous help for the young ones.
4. Jason Hill - Hill begins as a back up, but could start if JM or Crabs goes down, will be the slot for the next years when Bruce is gone.
5. Brandon Jones - Brandon Jones will get PT, should be a nice rotation if Jones is a 5th receiver.
6. Arnaz Battle/Dominque Ziegler - One or the other may get cut, Sing will make the right decision as I like both guys.

I like this but the niners have said all offseason that crabtree and morgan will play the same "x" position. I wouldn't mind seeing morgan and bruce start off the season with crabtree at slot. I am also worried that they might feel obligated to play jones due to his signing bonus.
Originally posted by jayb49er:
Originally posted by 49ersnum1:

I like this but the niners have said all offseason that crabtree and morgan will play the same "x" position. I wouldn't mind seeing morgan and bruce start off the season with crabtree at slot. I am also worried that they might feel obligated to play jones due to his signing bonus.

yeah i think i heard that or read it in espn mag. but thats stupid! they are both clearly the most talented WR we have, one should play x and the other z!! they both need to start and be on the field! its like saying Boldin and Fitz are both playing x, only one will start lol
[ Edited by 49ersnum1 on May 25, 2009 at 12:25 AM ]
First game:
1. Bruce
2. Morgan (starts) / Crabtree (plays 5 series)
3. Hill in the slot

After bye in Texas:
1. Morgan
2. Crabtree gets 1st start in home state
3. Hill in the slot

Bruce becomes the "utility man"
[ Edited by global_nomad on May 25, 2009 at 12:39 AM ]
Originally posted by global_nomad:
First game:
1. Bruce
3. Hill in the slot

After bye in Texas:
1. Morgan
3. Hill in the slot

I like it, Crabtree should be up to speed and if Hill isn't ready we'll ride Bruce, as the slot, off into the sunset of retirement.
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
Originally posted by global_nomad:
First game:
1. Bruce
3. Hill in the slot

After bye in Texas:
1. Morgan
3. Hill in the slot

I like it, Crabtree should be up to speed and if Hill isn't ready we'll ride Bruce, as the slot, off into the sunset of retirement.

From everything I have read Jason Hill has the slot position locked down. Especially after his connection(s) with S. Hill at the end of last year. Bruce probably see's this coming, he wont have a major role at the end of the year if all goes well. He is a HOF but they aren't going to let the development of Morgan, Crab, and Hill get in the way of Bruce getting playing time as an expiring contract vet.
Morgan(Y) Bruce(Slot) Crabtree(X)
Jones Battle Hill
1. Josh Morgan - Not only should start, but should be our go-to number 1.
2. Michael Crabtree/Brandon Jones - Crabtree should get most of the PT especially after the bye, but when Jones get in it should be for the rook.
3. Issac Bruce - should see plenty of time as the slot/mentor to our young guys.
4. Jason Hill - should be groomed to take Bruce's spot, as that will be his role in the future.
5. - Battle/Ziggy - spot guys, backups in case of injury.
Originally posted by TheGoldStandard:
2. Michael Crabtree/Brandon Jones - Crabtree should get most of the PT especially after the bye, but when Jones get in it should be for the rook.
3. Issac Bruce - should see plenty of time as the slot/mentor to our young guys.
4. Jason Hill - should be groomed to take Bruce's spot, as that will be his role in the future.

noob
Originally posted by mrbusinessman499:

noob

noob

wow thats pretty funny for a noob!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

noob

noob

Isaac Bruce needs to get released, as of right now it should be Jones and Morgan.

The dream scenario is Morgan, Crabtree
Flanker = 60% Bruce ---- 20% Battle ---- 20% Crabtree

Split End = 60% Morgan ---- 30% B. Jones ---- 10% Crabtree

Slot = 60% Hill ---- 20% Crabtree ---- 20% Battle

Something like this is what I'm thinking at this time. This is so easily subject to change as we go forward in the preseason fun. So much depends on them earning playing time. I just see a lot of "sharing" the snaps this year. Then I figure Crabby and Morgan to earn a full starting gig. Battle may very well get removed from the roster, so that obviously increases snaps for others.
Share 49ersWebzone